Warriors outmuscle KR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Warriors outmuscle KR

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

warriors01 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:07 am Burgess has been poor for weeks. He is targeted every week in defence because always out of position or he thinks he can intercept every pass that comes his way. And drops too many bombs near his own line. Was a good decision too replace him with French might be the kick up the backside he needs.
That issue should have been resolved on the training ground.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

It was a tough game last week and that had some impact on our performance, let’s hope the same happens to Hull 😀. We need to be a lot better next week and I expect us to be. On the plus side, Benny and Joe got some minutes under their belt and we secured the two points.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Yeah very different game to last week, much less of a defensive grind. I think both teams tried to play attacking footy, but only with limited success! i remember a KR player dropped the ball cold with the try-line at his mercy in the first half, and they threw a few passes at the touch-judges. As did Wigan. Mind you, the touchies needed something to wake them up; aren't they supposed to flag when the ball is passed forward? Burgess''s try was frankly a disgrace; two forward passes in a row! if that had been scored against us, we would be seething. At least it wasn't the winning margin. I never thought we were in danger of losing the game, but we did make heavy weather of it, albeit with quite an improvement in the second half.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

As said the first 55-60 mins was very average. I thought the pushed scrum and HKR knock on was crucial as we scored off the set.
Highlight over the past weeks has been the standard of Hardaker's goal kicking. Six from six last night and some from wide out.
They'll be far better next week v Wire.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I think sammut and french will be looking for starts next week...... keep the squad fresh and hungry........ i still think we are two signings off what we need for next season........ some players are borderline first team and maybe need to be released for better players
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Flash

Post by Flash »

Firestarter wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:06 pm I think sammut and french will be looking for starts next week...... keep the squad fresh and hungry........ i still think we are two signings off what we need for next season........ some players are borderline first team and maybe need to be released for better players
Just out of interest, which players are these?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Firestarter wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:06 pm I think sammut and french will be looking for starts next week...... keep the squad fresh and hungry........ i still think we are two signings off what we need for next season........ some players are borderline first team and maybe need to be released for better players
Unless for injuries id be amazed if Sammut gets a game for wigan again this season,Lam seems to have been concentrating on the teams defence recently and I wonder if he doesn't think Sammut has what it takes to come back into the first team.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Yes, for better or worse, it doesn't look like Sammut is part of Lam's plans, injury cover excepting. I would be amazed if he was a starter v Wire. In fact, he'll be lucky to see the bench again, I reckon. I would have liked to see him given a run in the side, but it really doesn't look like that will ever happen now.

As for the 2020 squad, it is looking in vastly better shape than I (or most of us, I daresay) ever imagined a while back. I'll not carp any further! :lol:
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Flash wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:03 pm
My point is that if sammut/shorrocks arnt gonna play then, surely, one better player would be a better option and would allow us to pay more on the cap....... the same can be said for sarge and hanky....... i do like these players but if they are deemed not regular starters then surely we could replace them( the same goes for escare)
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Flash

Post by Flash »

Firestarter wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:16 pm
Flash wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:03 pm
My point is that if sammut/shorrocks arnt gonna play then, surely, one better player would be a better option and would allow us to pay more on the cap....... the same can be said for sarge and hanky....... i do like these players but if they are deemed not regular starters then surely we could replace them( the same goes for escare)
Sorry, I thought you meant for next season. Not sure there's anything much can be done for this season as the transfer deadline has now passed (if we had any cap space following the French signing).

Of the ones you mentioned, though, Sarginson is gone for next season, the club is making every effort to move Escare and Hankinson or Bibby will be vying for the right centre berth with the other as 1st backup. Not sure where we could cut further there. I suppose we could let one of Shorrocks or Sammut go but I doubt that would free up much cap space. Anyone we could sign would be of a similar cost and therefore ability. I can't see what the benefits would be in all honesty.