The 18th Man column: 'The award for Wigan Warriors' most improved player goes to...'

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

The 18th Man column: 'The award for Wigan Warriors' most improved player goes to...'

Post by josie andrews »

Our 18th Man columnists discuss Wigan's most improved player, the club's Kiwi contingent and tomorrow's clash with Hull KR...

If you were picking a player to receive a “Most improved...” award at Wigan this season, who would it be?

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/the-18 ... -1-9923175
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

Re: The 18th Man column: 'The award for Wigan Warriors' most improved player goes to...'

Post by morley pie eater »

Sam Powell - based on this year's performances versus what's been said on here in previous seasons. He seems to have silenced his knockers.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Re: The 18th Man column: 'The award for Wigan Warriors' most improved player goes to...'

Post by moto748 »

1 Powell
2. Marshall
3 Partington
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

morley pie eater wrote:Sam Powell - based on this year's performances versus what's been said on here in previous seasons. He seems to have silenced his knockers.
Not me. He’s gone from poor to average. Most improved doesn’t equate to being good enough. We still need a better no 9 IMO.
Hattster

Post by Hattster »

Marshall for me, he’s cut out a lot of his errors. I just wish he wouldn’t bounce around at the play the ball trying to milk a penalty. Just get up and play the bleeding thing
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Zak getting better each game
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Marshall has improved massively, he takes it in well and is good under the high ball.

But Smithies has been a revelation, for someone so young he’s so hard to put down and his work rate was missed when he went off on Friday.

As for Powell, I’ve not seen a lot of improvement that makes me think of as our long term hooker, and as for our future captain, please no.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Marshy and zak for me...... once marshy gets that strapping off his leg he will be flying....... zak is improving every game and so is his kicking....... funny how is kicking improved after Hanky got the nod....... i reckon Hanky has given him a few tips........ i cant wait to see Smithies after a pre season...... once he fills out hes gonna be something really special
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

DaveO wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:14 am
morley pie eater wrote:Sam Powell - based on this year's performances versus what's been said on here in previous seasons. He seems to have silenced his knockers.
Not me. He’s gone from poor to average. Most improved doesn’t equate to being good enough. We still need a better no 9 IMO.
Id still say Powell is probably the most improved personally but with the caveat of his starting point being a lot lower than other players. Marshall has improved but i already thought he was really good player. Id say Powell has gone from poor to average which is probably the largest improvement in the squad. He is running from dummy half more and causing more problems. He has had some decent games lately and while im still not a fan i cant deny he has been good over the last 3-4 games.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

I agree with most, however I feel Isa has stepped his game up a bit this season