IL interview

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

IL interview

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

While the site was down, I read an article which quoted IL extensively. I would attach a link if I could find it again and knew how! There were a few things that caught my eye in it:

- his conviction that Lam was the right choice. As I may have mentioned I wonder whether that stands up to close scrutiny. For instance, Saints have been linked to Kristian Wolff, the coach who has turned the Tongans into world beaters, as a replacement for Holbrook. Did we look hard enough?

- he was really pleased with the recruitment and hopes that will lead to a surge in season tickets. I agree that next year looks a fantastic prospect. If only we didn’t have the ridiculous two prime month gap in the season I would be looking forward to next year more than any for a long time;

- he talked about Wigan paying up to the cap, and signing marquee players. As the accounts show, he spends a lot of money on staff, playing and non playing. But, this year, for the first time, we are not spending all we can, as we only have one marquee player. Next year, we have 2 again (and fabulous ones they are); and

- he talked about the new development at Robin Park. I assume this did not come cheap, and might be part of the reason cash was tighter this year? As a result of that development, the club now has land at Orrell it can sell. I am guessing that is a very valuable asset, and it will be fascinating to watch the money go round. If we make a fortune, I trust that will be held within the club...
Last edited by Exiled Wiganer on Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fozzieskem

Re: IL interview

Post by fozzieskem »

Another thing I took from the interview is that either Peet or Winder will be the next Wigan coach once Lam goes,promoting from within after an NRL coach has moved on,like Maguire and Wane.
josie andrews

Re: IL interview

Post by josie andrews »

I think John Winder said he was happy just to be an assistant coach.

Matty Peet is not head coach material IMO
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan