Injury setback for Wigan Warriors prop

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Injury setback for Wigan Warriors prop

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan look like being without Ben Flower until the Super League play-offs after the big prop went under the knife for clean-up surgery on his knee.

The Welshman only returned at the weekend against Hull KR after a lengthy lay-off with a back problem.

And coach Adrian Lam is retaining a pragmatic approach after a campaign dogged by injuries across the board.

“I got the news, and I didn’t even flinch – because I’m used to it by now,” Lam mused.

“You’re just thinking: ‘Here we go again’, and that’s the way it’s gone.

“It’s not the same injury – it was his back before, this time it’s his meniscus, his knee.

“He’s gone into clean up a bit of cartilage, and hopefully that’ll be right.

“It is what it is. If we can just get to the semis in one piece, we feel we might be okay.”

Winger Joe Burgess – who scored his 100th try for the club last weekend – is also a major concern ahead of Friday night’s visit of second-placed Warrington with a pectoral problem.

“Joe’s doubtful,” admitted Lam. “We’ll give him until the captain’s run to see if he’s okay.”

That could mean a first start in cherry and white for Bevan French, who dipped his toe into the water off the bench against Hull KR.

Lam is expecting a tough test from a Warrington side who have the small matter of a Challenge Cup final against St Helens to come on Saturday week.

"We feel they’re going to play their strongest team,” Lam added. “And we hope they do to be fair. I don’t see them coming with a weakened team at all.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/injury ... -1-9933497
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
southportcdm

Re: Injury setback for Wigan Warriors prop

Post by southportcdm »

Sad news for Benny and the team, makes Friday more of a challenge. Ben does seem to be at that stage of his career where the injuries are becoming more frequent. He, Lockers and Clubby give us experience but perhaps we can't expect them to play too often next season. Perhaps we should try rotating them regularly and resting them before injuries occur although of course it's difficult to predict what's going to happen and I know many of the players play injured for most of the season. All these injuries are a reminder of how important Willie Isa's durability is though. He plays hard for nearly every minute of every game and we shouldn't underestimate how important this is to the squad over a season.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Can't believe the bad luck we are having with injuries this season.

As to whether Flower has joined Clubb and Lockers on the injury prone list it is perhaps too soon to say but let's be honest, having two such players who are classed as your senior props already is two too many. The extended deal for Clubb was ridiculous due to this issue alone. I know he's had a couple of good games recently but his body simply can't be relied on anymore for that to be anything but a pleasant surprise.

The arrival of Burgess and Clarke next season is going to help but I still think in a salary cap world there must be better ways to spend the wages of the players who regularly spend half the season plus on the sidelines.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

DaveO wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:32 pm Can't believe the bad luck we are having with injuries this season.

As to whether Flower has joined Clubb and Lockers on the injury prone list it is perhaps too soon to say but let's be honest, having two such players who are classed as your senior props already is two too many. The extended deal for Clubb was ridiculous due to this issue alone. I know he's had a couple of good games recently but his body simply can't be relied on anymore for that to be anything but a pleasant surprise.

The arrival of Burgess and Clarke next season is going to help but I still think in a salary cap world there must be better ways to spend the wages of the players who regularly spend half the season plus on the sidelines.
In fairness though Dave this, at least in modern RL seems to be the same for everyone. Most clubs seem to spend large chunks without players now, i dont know whether its the league structure and coaches err on the side of caution knowing they can afford to drop points or something else.

Personally i always felt that rugby players are now too athletic - the ones who carry a bit of pork tend to fair better on the injury front, we are creating F1 cars then expecting them to go rallying
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

It is a shame, though as someone who would never have kept him on after the disgrace he brought on the club, I will not be upset if we decide his time with us is coming to an end. At least we get a week off for the young lads to draw breath. If this highlights anything, it is how fantastic our youth development work is, and how much we benefit from that investment. No other club could withstand the losses we have and still be this competitive.
No Hamlin, Tautai, Bullock, Flower or Lockers on Friday and still a very good chance of a result.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:54 pm
DaveO wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:32 pm Can't believe the bad luck we are having with injuries this season.

In fairness though Dave this, at least in modern RL seems to be the same for everyone. Most clubs seem to spend large chunks without players now, i dont know whether its the league structure and coaches err on the side of caution knowing they can afford to drop points or something else.

Personally i always felt that rugby players are now too athletic - the ones who carry a bit of pork tend to fair better on the injury front, we are creating F1 cars then expecting them to go rallying
I am not sure that applies with Lockers and Clubb. It's a surprise they even make it to the pitch sometimes. Even the warm up seems to carry a serious risk for Lockers!

I get the point that in general there may be a trend for players to be more likely to pick up injuries due to factors such as players being too athletic. A season or two ago I seem to recall almost an epidemic of knee injuries across the game. Could have been a trend for bad tackles with the third man in hitting the knees or even the kind of studs worn but this was a general trend whereas I think Clubb and Lockers are crocked far to often to be explained away as the same as what players at other clubs experience.

Maybe the return of the reserves will help players ease into the game and instances of players experiencing what Flower has, getting injured first game back, will reduce but even so I think with Clubb and Lockers have been kept on too long specifically because of their injury record.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I’m still puzzled as to why Flower played last Friday,given he was heading for another period on the sidelines.

As for Clubb it is folly in a salary capped sport to give him a two year deal is odd to say the least surely a rolling one year deal would have been better,if anything the contract of someone such as Escare should have shown the club not to hand out such lengthy deals players come and go as do coaches the last thing you need is a player who clearly isn’t in the coaches plans sat on the sideline
endoman

Post by endoman »

Can only think he got this injury in Friday's game? Otherwise why not do the clean out while waiting for the back to heal?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

endoman wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:20 am Can only think he got this injury in Friday's game? Otherwise why not do the clean out while waiting for the back to heal?
I think it was done in this game & only the seriousness of it showed up when investigated
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan