Lam previews Warrington

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Lam previews Warrington

Post by josie andrews »

Head Coach Adrian Lam looks ahead to Friday’s Betfred Super League clash with Warrington Wolves.

“I think the timing of playing a top four side is good for us and we look forward to that challenge on Friday night to see where we are at as a team.”

Wigan Warriors vs Warrington Wolves, Friday 16th August, DW Stadium, K.O. 7:45pm.

Wigan Head Coach Adrian Lam believes that a victory over Warrington on Friday would take his side’s confidence to the “next level” as they prepare to host the Wire on Friday night.

The Cherry & Whites will come up against the Wire for the fourth time this season when they host the division’s 2nd placed side at the DW Stadium on Friday.

Speaking to the media on Tuesday afternoon, the Wigan Head Coach outlined how important the fixture is for his side.

“With it being the first game from four against them at home, we need to make a statement.

With regards to the overall season, it would be a nice way to get a bit more confidence because we’ve worked really hard to get here. Beating Warrington on Friday night would just take our confidence to the next level.”

On Wigan’s good form: “I’m not 100% on our win percentage over the last few months, but I know that there’s been a lot more wins than losses. I’m just pleased the team is playing with confidence and we are striving to be better every week.

“I still don’t think other supporters and teams out there think that we are the real deal, but that’s ok. We’ve still got a fair way to go with our improvement, but I know with the experience we’ve got here and the big game players, we can get there in good shape. It’s exciting times ahead.”

By contrast, Friday’s opponents Warrington have struggled in recent weeks, having only won one of their last five games.

On Steve Price’s side: “We’re not really worried with what they’re going through. We’ve had a couple of close wins ourselves and a couple where we didn’t play too well, like against St Helens.

“I think the timing of playing a top four side is good for us and we look forward to that challenge on Friday night to see where we are at as a team.”

Despite a cup final on the horizon for Warrington, Wigan’s Head Coach explained that he doesn’t expect them to rest key players for Friday’s game.

“We feel that they will play their strongest team and we hope that they do. I think that will be their mentality.”

Recent signing Bevan French made his debut last week, coming off the bench in the second half to replace winger Joe Burgess. In adding the Australian to the squad, Lam explained that in adds a fresh sense of competition to the squad.

“We haven’t had the fortune of having pressure on players every week for places, with selection some weeks it’s been ‘this is it’. French’s arrival puts some pressure on the outside backs and it’s exactly what we need.”

Lam also provided an update on any injury concerns heading into this weekend’s game.

“[Ben Flower] He’s out with a meniscus issue, he needs an arthroscopy so that will be him out for between four and six weeks.

“On top of that, Joe [Burgess] has a pectoral issue. He’s doubtful. We will give him until the captain’s run to see if he’s ok.”

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... G6PfR4G.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Lam previews Warrington

Post by josie andrews »

Go to next level: Farrell

Liam Farrell believes that Friday’s game against Warrington Wolves is an opportunity for Wigan Warriors to ‘prove’ themselves as a team who can go on to win the Grand Final.

The 29-year-old knows that Adrian Lam’s side must continue to get better as they head towards the playoffs if they want to come away with the competitions top prize.

“We’ve done really well to get to where we are but now, we must take it to the next level and go a step further. This weekend is a big chance for us to make a name for ourselves and prove that we are a team who can go on to win the Grand Final.”

Farrell knows how ‘important’ the game against the Wolves will prove to be, with their opponents under pressure.

“They’ve got a lot to think about with the Challenge Cup final next weekend, whilst us and Hull are putting on a bit of pressure on them in the league. It makes for a big game, because we want to push them for that spot, and they want to stay up there, so it is important.”

He adds, “they will be wary of what is around them, I do expect them to put out a strong team who will want to win. They will have a mindset of not wanting to pick up any injuries, but they still know they are in a position where they have to win.”

Warrington have recently added former Warriors scrumhalf, Matty Smith to their ranks, as they look to strengthen in the absence of Blake Austin.

“It has been a strange 12 months for him (Smith), moving out to France and now coming back and playing for Warrington. He’s been about a bit and is a very professional player, so it is a very smart move.

Farrell believes Steve Price’s side are dangerous in all areas across the field and that they will have a desire to end the year with some silverware.

“They’ve got threats everywhere,” he states. “Last year they made two finals so will want to go one better this time.”

The 29-year-old hopes that Lam’s side can sign off with a victory before they have a week off from match action.

“I’ve been in situations when you lose them games and you just have two weeks thinking about what went wrong. We had one a few weeks ago where we had a really good win, so we are hoping for the same.”

Despite Wigan’s slow start to the season, the second row knew that the team would eventually find their form.

“It has been pleasing and has given everyone a big boost. We’ve gone about our business quietly and knew that eventually we would find some form, but we just need to kick on again and prove we are a top two team.”

The Warriors change in fortune coincided with Farrell’s return from injury, but states he isn’t taking credit for the improvements.

“I think it was a massive coincidence,” he says. “I was fortunate to re-join the team at the right time, but the coaches have been pushing a lot of things to improve on from early on in the season.”

The 29-year-old is also in fine scoring form, scoring seven times in his last five games.

“They are coming thick and fast, and I think that is surprising me more than anyone else, but I’ll take as many as I can.”

Farrell is pleased with how the Warriors have been playing but feels they must improve on their performance in the game against Hull KR, despite winning 36-18.

“We’ve had some pretty good wins and have been very consistent recently, but we were disappointed in the way we performed last week. Although we got the win we wanted; it could cost us a bit more in the bigger games.”

He continues, “I think we approached the match with the wrong attitude and didn’t really play the way we needed to in the first half. Full credit to Hull, they came with some passion and energy.”

The second row has also praised new signing Bevan French for the way he has adapted to life at Wigan.

“He’s been really good. He’s quietly gone about his business and is training really well. Once he finds his feet his feet, he will prove to be a real threat.”

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... GbhyfTy.99
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

I think that we will need to perform well to win, usually this fixture brings about the best in both teams. Hopefully, we will make it a niggly affair.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
josie andrews

Warrington Wolves Preview

Post by josie andrews »

Everything you need to know for Friday night’s Betfred Super League clash between Wigan Warriors and Warrington Wolves.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... 2JkeBUb.99
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors ready for 'best of Warrington', says Adrian Lam

Warriors coach Adrian Lam is expecting nothing less than Warrington’s ‘best team and best rugby’ ahead of tonight’s big game at the DW Stadium.

The stakes couldn’t be much higher, with fourth-placed Wigan able to take over second spot – on points difference – from the Wolves with a win.

Warrington also have the small matter of a Challenge Cup final against St Helens next weekend to occupy their minds.

Lam, though, says Wembley won’t be a factor come kick-off.

“I’m not sure if it’s a good time to play them, as much as it’s a good time for us to play another team in the top four,” he said.

“We’re in a position now where we need to see where we’re at it heading into the semi-finals.

“We played St Helens a few weeks ago and we were a little bit off. But I think that was also good for us, to show us where we need to keep improving.

“Every team will obviously have a flat spot in the season, and Warrington’s seems to have come over the last few weeks.

"They’ve got one eye on the Challenge Cup final, and one eye on making sure they cement that second spot in Super League.

“All we can do is plan for them to come here with their best team and play their best rugby.”

It’s the fourth meeting of 2019 between the two sides, with Warrington having won twice at the Halliwell Jones Stadium and once at Anfield.

“We’ve played Warrington three times away from home – this is the first time we’ve had them at the DW,” Lam assessed.

"We definitely need to make a statement and take advantage of home soil.

For me it’s not so much about avenging defeats we’ve had earlier in the season.

“I was looking back at the teams we’ve put out against Warrington – and they were different teams every time.

“We really haven’t had our best side out against them, and that makes it very hard to get any kind of cohesion going.

“We feel like we’ve taken a lot of steps forward, but we’ve still got a long way to go, a lot of improvement in us.

“And that’s why this game is important for us.

“If we can come up with a good performance, it’ll certainly give us another boost as we aim for the next level.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan- ... -1-9939735
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wembley will be in Warrington minds - and we must take advantage, says Liam Farrell

Liam Farrell has played in enough Challenge Cup finals and Grand Finals to know what goes through a player’s head the week before.

Which is why he believes Wigan Warriors have to take full advantage tonight of any sign of Warrington looking ahead to next weekend’s Wembley showpiece against St Helens.

It is so difficult to play the weekend before a Challenge Cup final, I’ve been there,” Farrell told the Wigan Post.

“It’s not that I expect their form to dip, but it’s always there in the back of your mind, not wanting to get injured and miss Wembley.

“I will definitely expect it to be in the back of their minds, but they also know they have to win to keep second spot in their own hands.

“With us and Hull FC looking to put even more pressure on them, it makes for an even bigger game.

“They’re trying to hold on to that second spot, we’re trying to push up from third and fourth, and it makes for an exciting end to the season.

“I wouldn’t say they’ll be worried, but they’ll definitely be wary of what’s around them.

“They rested a few players last week, but I do think they’ll be a lot stronger for this game.

“We’ll be expected a very strong Warrington team to show up, and a team that will be coming here to win.”

After a superb run of eight wins from their last nine matches, a Wigan win would see them climb level with second-placed Warrington.

Not bad for a side written off by all and sundry a few months ago.

I wouldn’t say we’ve flown under the radar, but more we’ve gone about our business very quietly,” acknowledged Farrell.

“We knew eventually we would find some form – and we have done.

“It’s given the players a huge boost, but at the same time we know we’re not there yet.

“We’ve not reached our plateau – we need to carry on going and push for more.”

Farrell also knows where Wigan have to stake their territory from the off.

Their middle is always good – Chris Hill, Mike Cooper, and Daryl Clark, who has been one of the best No.9s this year,” he said.

“Their outside backs are also not too bad, they’ve got threats all over the park.

“They’re a proven top-four side who have proved they’re ready to win something in recent years.

“They reached two finals last year, and they’ll be wanting to go at least one better this time.”

Former Warrior Matty Smith – who recently joined Wire from Catalans Dragons – will also have a point to prove.

“It’s probably been a strange 12 months for him, going over to France and coming back,” Farrell added.

“But knowing ‘Smeegs’, he’s a very professional player, very experienced, and it’s a very smart move for Warrington to have got him.

“Having lost Blake Austin, they need someone to move them around the field – and that’s one of his best assets.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wemble ... -1-9940052