WATCH: The worst tackle in Challenge Cup Final history – NO RED CARD!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

WATCH: The worst tackle in Challenge Cup Final history – NO RED CARD!!

Post by josie andrews »

The 1969-70 Challenge Cup Final will always be remembered for one incident.

In the 18th minute Wigan full-back Colin Tyrer returned the ball and in the process of passing out wide, was hit by a flying elbow straight to the jaw.

Incredibly the culprit, Castleford scrum-half Keith Hepworth, escaped any punishment as referee Fred Lindop simply ticked off his name and awarded a penalty.

Tyrer was then carried from the field by his team-mates, visibly holding his broken jaw in place, as he received almost no medical attention and would play no further part in the game.

After the final, which Castleford won 7-2, the media didn’t hold back on referee Lindop as Hepworth avoided being the first player to be sent off in a Challenge Cup final.

The following year Leeds player Syd Hynes did become the first player to be sent off at Wembley for the famous ‘alleged’ incident involving Alex Murphy.

However, to this day, everyone, including Keith Hepworth himself, knows he should have held that unwanted honour for his savage tackle on Tyrer. Watch below…

https://twitter.com/wiganrlhistory/stat ... 50881?s=21

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/watch-th ... ard-21856/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
widdenoldboy

Re: WATCH: The worst tackle in Challenge Cup Final history – NO RED CARD!!

Post by widdenoldboy »

Still makes my blood boil :evil:
Flash

Post by Flash »

I think that's one of those occasions where it goes beyond 'what happens on a rugby field' and enters the realms of assault. There is no excuse whatsoever for that.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Flash wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:41 pm I think that's one of those occasions where it goes beyond 'what happens on a rugby field' and enters the realms of assault. There is no excuse whatsoever for that.
Wigan down to 12 men then if I can recollect there were no substitutions at that time .
AndyNick

Post by AndyNick »

Yet Cas fans still love to break out the "Can't Spayke" video to have a pop at us.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

On the train back one Wigan fan said "we lost by a knock out".
Dreadful and no wonder the game was then known for a long time as Thugby League.
Hepworth should have been sent off.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

My late dad always hated cas for that very reason...... he knows colin hes a leyther
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

jaws1 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:49 pm
Flash wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:41 pm I think that's one of those occasions where it goes beyond 'what happens on a rugby field' and enters the realms of assault. There is no excuse whatsoever for that.
Wigan down to 12 men then if I can recollect there were no substitutions at that time .
Cliff Hill replaced Tyrer after that "tackle". Tyrer was a major attacking threat and the goalkicker. Bill Francis missed three kickeable penalties, I'll never understand why Bill Ashurst wasn't kicking the goals after Tyrer went off.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Noticed that Lindop made his decision before taking a look at the extent of Tyrer's injury.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Tommy Dickens had a photograph of the incident in the Royal Oak pub, it highlighted just what an horrendous tackle it was (far more graphic than what appeared on TV). From that moment on Wigan should have turned the match into a war, Lindop was never going to send anyone off.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards