Eamon McManus

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
jao711

Eamon McManus

Post by jao711 »

Made a prat of his self in the Saints programme tonight,still going on about Hicks and hinted his death threat was a publicity stunt. Oh dear.
Woody1989

Re: Eamon McManus

Post by Woody1989 »

Beggars belief. I can understand being upset at some referee calls (although the referee made some similarly dodgy calls against Wire, McManus doesn't mention those though does he?) but he seems to be claiming that because Hicks was threatened by a Wire fan, and had to work with the club to resolve it, that means he shouldn't be allowed to ref the final?

Now I'm not a massive fan of Hicks but it seems a little harsh to say to the man that because he recieved death threats he can't be given the opportunity/honour of refereeing the final.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Hicks didn’t go to the screen for an early effort by Saints prop Morgan Knowles. The week before the final, Hicks had met with Warrington chief executive Karl Fitzpatrick and a Wolves supporter that had made a death threat towards him on social media.

McManus wrote: “How a referee can be involved in a publicity stunt with the CEO of a participating club in the week before a Challenge Cup final defies belief and reason.

“This apparently resulted from some pathetic spat on the open sewer that is Twitter some weeks before.

“The fact referees go, and are allowed to go, on Twitter with fans is utterly beyond me: no good can come from it and clearly no good does.

“This was amply consolidated, in the eye of many, in reality when Hicks comprehensibly did not go to the video referee for Morgan Knowles’ clear and legitimate opening try and then followed it up shortly with other highly questionable decisions.”

Speaking after the game, Holbrook revealed he had no problem with what McManus said in his programme notes.

Holbrook said: “I read the programme while I was sitting in the shed.

“I was okay with it, he has been involved in the game for a long time and I thought what he said was okay.

“Every week we talk about the previous game and that’s what we do in the programme.

“We talk about the previous game and the one moving forward so it’s not like we are going to be talking about it for the next week and the week after that. It was relevant to discuss last week and now we move on.”
Copied from a post on FB
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Eamonn McManus blasts “incomprehensible” officiating at Wembley

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/ea ... t-wembley/
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

RFL release statement in response to McManus’s programme comments

The RFL have issued an official response to the article written by St Helens chairman Eamonn McManus in the club’s match day programme last night.

McManus took aim at the rugby league officials and RFL in the aftermath of what he described as a ‘publicity stunt’ between Robert Hicks and Warrington Wolves CEO Karl Fitzpatrick in the build up to the Challenge Cup Final last week.

His comments in the programme column provoked criticism from Sky Sports presenter Brian Carney and now the RFL have issued their response to the situation.

The statement reads:

“The Rugby Football League is saddened by the content of the club chairman’s matchday programme column of Friday 30 August and the matter has been referred to the RFL’s Compliance Team.”

“Several inaccuracies were contained in the piece, including concerning the timeline of the death threat to an official’s family and subsequent work with the police. It is a serious misreading of the situation to refer to a request by ITV for a brief news interview (concerning the threat made a month earlier) as some form of contrived stunt.

“Match officials are at the centre of our sport, at all levels. Everyone in the sport appreciates that they are vital. Our match officials are hardworking, impartial, and deserving of respect and support. Theirs is a difficult job and without them there is no sport.

“The Match Officials department works with and meets all clubs maturely, professionally and without fear or favour. It does this to increase understanding of the role including the system of independent review, professional training and development; consultation on rules, regulations and procedures; to promote the sport-wide ‘Enjoy the Game’ campaign at all levels and encourage pro-clubs to set an example for the rest of the sport; and to encourage and support referee recruitment and retention, and the mental and physical wellbeing of match officials alongside that of players and coaches”.

http://www.rlnews.co.uk/rfl-release-sta ... e-comments
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Carney criticises McManus ref comments

Brian Carney has criticised comments made by Saints chairman Eamonn McManus in tonight’s match day programme.

McManus made some scathing remarks relating to the performance of referee Rob Hicks in last Saturday’s Challenge Cup Final, and other matters concerning match officials.

Carney said: “The words are very considered and it’s a very well written piece.

“But unfortunately it’s a diatribe against referees and in particular the decisions that went against them in the Challenge Cup Final.

“And what I would say to a man like Eamonn, who does know better and should know better is that you’re only adding to the bile that’s heaped on referees.

“You should be aware of the trickle-down effect of that, Eamonn, and I would say a piece like that on a night like this is a disappointment.”

http://www.rlnews.co.uk/carney-criticis ... -comments/
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Warrington Wolves respond to St Helens chairman column

WARRINGTON Wolves have used social media in a creative way this season, and they have been at it again.

They posted this video on Twitter in response to St Helens chairman Eamonn McManus' criticism of Challenge Cup Final referee Robert Hicks.

In his programme column for Saints' home game against Castleford last night, McManus said decision to appoint Hicks as the referee for the Wembley clash shortly after he and The Wire confronted a social media troll together "defied belief and reason."

He also described the officiating during The Wire's 18-4 win over his side - specifically the decision not to refer a Morgan Knowles 'try' to the video referee when the game was still scoreless - as "incomprehensible."

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/sp ... an-column/
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Very poor form from McManus, the powers that be need to take action. There are official routes for clubs to follow if they are concerned about refereeing. He has done himself and Saints no favours.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Maybe his mind is clouded on the semi versus halifax....... i seem to remember tgem getting quite a few dodgy calls....... i ended up turning the game off as i was getting mad with the one sided decisions( unlike me by the way)
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

18 point deduction for bringing the game into disrepute