Eamon McManus

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
fozzieskem

Re: Eamon McManus

Post by fozzieskem »

Love tweet from wire

I don’t do twitter but that summed up last weekend as for Macmanus he’s attacked a ref and should be fined,big style otherwise it’s open season on them
outback wiganer

Post by outback wiganer »

Love the video. Well done Warrington. McManus should hang his head in shame. To come out with the comments he has, is a disgrace. Every team during the season have bad decisions go against them, but every other chairman doesn't harp on about it, publicly spewing bile a week later. Ok it was a poor decision but there are 2 other officials on the pitch not just Hicks. This excuse of a man is an embarrassment to the rugby league world and should be dealt with accordingly.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

medlocke wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:31 pm 18 point deduction for bringing the game into disrepute
Classic Medlocke :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Nah let them keep the hub cap coz they winning nowt else
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

What McManus's comments (and Holbrook's to a lesser extent) say to me is that Saints are likely to nosedive at some point in the play-offs.

I truly believe that the John Monie approach is essential to a winning mentality/culture within a club. Monie would have said "The referee didn't knock on, drop passes or miss tackles. We have to control what we can, so I'm not worried about the referee."

This would give the message to players like Coote, Welsby, Lomax etc that they need to focus on improving their game and (in this case) their approach to big games, rather than having a negative "referees are against us" attitude. That's how you become bottlers. St Helens glass.

I hope I'm right. Can't wait for the GF.

[Btw I mentioned nominative determinism on another thread. Check out the last 4 letters of the chairman's name.]
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

McManus criticism of Wembley referee was 'disappointing' says Wire chief

WARRINGTON Wolves chief executive Karl Fitzpatrick said he was 'disappointed' to read St Helens chairman Eamonn McManus' criticism of Challenge Cup final referee Robert Hicks.

McManus launched an astonishing attack against Hicks in his programme notes before the game with Castleford last weekend after Saints were stunned 18-4 by the Wire at Wembley.

It centred around the decision not to refer a potential early St Helens try to the video referee.

McManus wrote: "It would be remiss of me to be silent on the officiating both during and before the game.

"How a referee can be involved in a publicity stunt with the CEO of a participating club in the week before a Challenge Cup final defies belief and reason.

"This apparently resulted from some pathetic spat on the open sewer that is Twitter some weeks before. The fact referees go, and are allowed to go, on Twitter with fans is utterly beyond me: no good can come from it and clearly no good does.

"Resultantly, the perception of officiating impartiality was destroyed even before kick-off. This was amply consolidated, in the eyes of many, in reality when Hicks incomprehensibly did not go to the video referee for Morgan Knowles' clear and legitimate opening try and then followed it up shortly with other highly questionable decisions."

WARRINGTON Wolves chief executive Karl Fitzpatrick said he was 'disappointed' to read St Helens chairman Eamonn McManus' criticism of Challenge Cup final referee Robert Hicks.

He probably made a mistake at the start but I thought he had a great game after that, you almost didn't notice him", he added.

"He was also fantastic in the semi-final and that is probably why he got the job for the final.

"As a sport I think we do give so much focus to referees and not on the players as it should be.

"Sky are fantastic partners but they have a former referee as part of their commentary team.

"I like Stuart Cummings but we analyse every decision and a lot of those decisions can come down to interpretation as well."

An RFL statement said: "The Rugby Football League is saddened by the content of the club chairman's matchday programme column of Friday 30 August and the matter has been referred to the RFL's Compliance Team.

"Several inaccuracies were contained in the piece, including concerning the timeline of the death threat to an official's family and subsequent work with the police. It is a serious misreading of the situation to refer to a request by ITV for a brief news interview (concerning the threat made a month earlier) as some form of contrived stunt."

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/ne ... ire-chief/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan