Shaun Edwards says Wigan Warriors better off with Adrian Lam - and backs them for Grand Final glory

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Barney841

Re: Shaun Edwards says Wigan Warriors better off with Adrian Lam - and backs them for Grand Final glory

Post by Barney841 »

pedro wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:55 pm
Wigan Watcher wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:23 pm Edward's played in a team that made him not a team he made.

Now a legend we all know is Ellery Hanley. You could put him into any team and you would see the difference. He would make the team. The team he was in would be lucky to have him, he wouldn't be lucky to be in that team

And there is the difference between a legend and and a average player like Shaun Edward's!
Yet we didnt miss Hanley at all when he left, can we say the same of Edwards?
We didn’t miss Edwards as such as we brought in a decent replacement called Tony Smith, maybe not as influential as Edwards but a good player.
medlocke

Re: Shaun Edwards says Wigan Warriors better off with Adrian Lam - and backs them for Grand Final glory

Post by medlocke »

Wigan Watcher wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:23 pm Edward's played in a team that made him not a team he made.

Now a legend we all know is Ellery Hanley. You could put him into any team and you would see the difference. He would make the team. The team he was in would be lucky to have him, he wouldn't be lucky to be in that team

And there is the difference between a legend and and a average player like Shaun Edward's!
I don't remember Leeds winning any trophies when he was there either
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

Wow. Some of the views expressed above are so ludicrous I thought I was reading a Brexit thread.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Lets be fair the triangle was unreal gregory edwards and hanley...... debatably as good as any ive seen......i did think edwards was the weaker of the three but they all had pluses and minuses....... edwards paul and bell was a pretty good triangle also....... regardless of what edwards has done hes was far from an average player........ had his moments but still one of our best imo
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
pedro

Post by pedro »

Barney841 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:41 pm

We didn’t miss Edwards as such as we brought in a decent replacement called Tony Smith, maybe not as influential as Edwards but a good player.
he wasnt fit to lace edwards boots
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

pedro wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:54 pm
Barney841 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:41 pm

he wasnt fit to lace edwards boots
Smith was an International scrum half. He wasn’t that bad. Good at taking on the line and supporting players. Edwards passing game was outstanding though, something that Smith didn’t have.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:11 pm Lets be fair the triangle was unreal gregory edwards and hanley...... debatably as good as any ive seen......i did think edwards was the weaker of the three but they all had pluses and minuses....... edwards paul and bell was a pretty good triangle also....... regardless of what edwards has done hes was far from an average player........ had his moments but still one of our best imo
Weaker I suppose in the sense that Hanley was a 9.9, Greg a 9.8 and Edwards a 9.7.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

jobo wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:10 pm
Firestarter wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:11 pm Lets be fair the triangle was unreal gregory edwards and hanley...... debatably as good as any ive seen......i did think edwards was the weaker of the three but they all had pluses and minuses....... edwards paul and bell was a pretty good triangle also....... regardless of what edwards has done hes was far from an average player........ had his moments but still one of our best imo
Weaker I suppose in the sense that Hanley was a 9.9, Greg a 9.8 and Edwards a 9.7.
exactly my point jobo
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Ellery Hanley was our Crown Jewel 💎

Our Holy Trinity will always be: Sullivan, Boston and Hanley

Edwards falls into the Club Legend category alongside Leytham, Slevin, Miller, Todd, Egan, Ashton, Gee, Vaealiki, Offiah etc...
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
moto748

Post by moto748 »

ancientnloyal wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:00 pm

Edwards falls into the Club Legend category alongside Leytham, Slevin, Miller, Todd, Egan, Ashton, Gee, Vaealiki, Offiah etc...

Gregory, please!