Golden Point could be scrapped by NRL at end of season

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Golden Point could be scrapped by NRL at end of season

Post by josie andrews »

The NRL will consider alternatives to golden point — or scrap it altogether — when the competition committee meets in November.

Head of football Graham Annesley has told The Sydney Morning Herald the topic will be up for discussion.

“The NRL has actually given this some thought recently and will further discuss golden point variations with the competition committee when it meets early in November,” Annesley said.

Over the years, there have been a number of alternatives floated, such as golden try, minimum time periods and even scrapping it all together. None of these have generated much traction, however, I do think both teams should get at least one possession each before a match is decided.”

There was two golden point games in Round 24. The Broncos scored a golden point win over the Eels, kicking a field goal at the end of the first set without Parramatta having a chance to touch the ball.

The Raiders then kicked a goal to beat the Sharks in Paul Gallen’s farewell game at PointsBet Stadium.

It’s a widely held belief that golden point games are decided by the toss of a coin, trivialising the 80 minutes that have already been played out.

Alternatives would include extra time, golden try or scrapping it altogether and reinstate draws.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 8f4a394629
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Golden Point could be scrapped by NRL at end of season

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

I think that the RFL need to scrap it as well, I am not sure what value it brings to the game. Why a kicking contest should be introduced following 80 minutes of graft I do not know, better to divide the points in my view.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I agree. There's nothing wrong with sharing the points, and I know a lot of Aussie fans agree. A proper period of extra time would be better, but I'd prefer dumping it altogether.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

If we did not have had the golden point this year we would have been in second place with 33 points and Hull would have been 3rd with 31 points as they stand now they are 5th.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I was against it from the very start 😠
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

No one ever wanted it!

Clubs didn't, neither did players or fans. When I was on BBC Radio Merseyside the presenter Alan Jackson was one for talking about it if the GP was mentioned in the trade press. I looked up the fixtures one time and there'd been around 120 games and 4 draws. Those of us in the studio were dead against it and within minutes calls and texts would come in from fans saying the idea was nonsense.
I always wondered when they introduced if SL were aware how unpopular it was.

Hope we ditch it from the end of this season.
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

GOOD
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

jaws1 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:33 am If we did not have had the golden point this year we would have been in second place with 33 points and Hull would have been 3rd with 31 points as they stand now they are 5th.
Correction Hull got the 2 points and would have put them still in 5th place with 29 points before tonight's defeat .
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

If you're going to keep it, have both teams get one point and the golden point winner get a bonus. Then at least both teams get something.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐