Woolford to quit Huddersfield if Giants are relegated

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Woolford to quit Huddersfield if Giants are relegated

Post by josie andrews »

Huddersfield Giants coach Simon Woolford will return to Australia if the club are relegated from Super League, he revealed to BBC Radio Leeds.

With just two games to go, the Giants sit in 10th place in the table – level on points with Wakefield and Hull KR and just two points in front of last-placed London.

Should they lose either of their last two games and results go against them, the club will be relegated from the top flight for the first time since 2004.

Woolford only joined as head coach mid-way through 2018 but admits he’ll be forced to return down under should the worst-case scenario become a reality.

“If the Giants go down we’re all out of a job,” he told BBC Radio Leeds. “Obviously if that was to happen I’d be going back to Australia, there’s no doubt about that, but at the moment the focus is staying in Super League and finishing the job I came here to do.

Huddersfield have won just 10 of their 27 games so far this season.

“I’m only 12 months into a pretty big job and I know there’s a lot of work to do here on and off the field. So our first focus is to make sure we’re safe and then I’ll be cracking on getting prepared for next year.

“There are a lot of things in place on the proviso that we’re safe in Super League so once we’re guaranteed Super League status we can get on with making sure we’re better next year and that’s what my focus is.

“We’ve got 30 players who’s livelihoods are on the line, we all know that. We knew it at the start of the year and what the consequences were if we end up going down to the Championship.

“Obviously at this part of the year, being in that bracket with a possibility of going down isn’t nice for anyone but that’s what we’ve all signed up for and we’ve got to make sure we get the job finished over the next two weeks.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/woolford ... ted-22076/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan