Anniversary

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Anniversary

Post by josie andrews »

Today marks the 20th Anniversary of the last game played at Central Park
The final game at Central Park was on Sunday 5 September 1999. Wigan beat St Helens by 28 points to 20, 96 years and 364 days after the first game against Batley was played.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wiganer Ted

Re: Anniversary

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Sad day that!

There was so much emotion at the time and we all know the reasons that led to it sale.

Like most fans I thought the ground was decades behind the times but hoped a new stadium could have been built on the site. I always worried about the geology after the problems with building the Whitbread/Billy Boston stand. A new stadium on the old CP site I think was most people's preferred option.

So we've been in the JJB/DW place for twenty years now. That went quickly!
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:26 am Sad day that!

There was so much emotion at the time and we all know the reasons that led to it sale.

Like most fans I thought the ground was decades behind the times but hoped a new stadium could have been built on the site. I always worried about the geology after the problems with building the Whitbread/Billy Boston stand. A new stadium on the old CP site I think was most people's preferred option.

So we've been in the JJB/DW place for twenty years now. That went quickly!
I think you are right Ted, it was the option of most fans. I, for one, miss the old place. It had soul, passion, atmosphere and great memories. No matter how successful, the DW will never replace it. But for the younger generation the DW is the home of the greatest club in rugby league and the only ground they have ever known.

I shall raise a glass to the old lady tonight.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Last game at Central Park

On this day 20 years ago, Wigan Warriors played the last ever game at Central Park, home to the Club for almost 100 years.

As if the pressure of playing at Central Park wasn’t enough for the squad that day, they were up against old rivals St Helens. Relive the final moments of that game in this clip below as Wigan win 28-20.

You can watch back the full game on Wigan TV HERE.

In a thrilling final showdown at the historic Central Park, it was Wigan’s Paul Johnson who wrote his name in the history books by becoming the last Wigan player to score at the stadium before the move across the then named JJB Stadium. See his try below.

Next week, Wigan face Castleford Tigers in what will be the 20th Anniversary of their first game at the DW Stadium (then the JJB Stadium). Wigan Warriors will celebrate 10 years at the stadium on Friday 13th September in the build up to the Betfred Super League tie. Don’t miss this historic occasion, book your tickets today by calling 01942 311111 or clicking HERE.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... 6DH0JZQ.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

medlocke wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:33 pm And censorship wins again
And we lost against Cas in the first match.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Ladies... deep breath... [end]

Now... Central Park...

I commented on Twitter my fond memories were just me and my sister at a-team matches having an empty Kop to chase converted balls. Rain lashing down looking at the floodlights, mum and dad somewhere in the ground. Just exploring. Memories clear as day! Tuck shop in the Dougie Stand. The sand under the newly build Boston stand... Police giving out rugby cards!! Those were the days

On match days used to sit on the wall on Popular Stand about 22line... picking the white paint off of it! My grandad starting the match stood with us and he used to walk whole laps wherever the play was arguing with anyone he was stood next to

Walking back to the car up past the nursing home towards Whelley and Bottling Wood! Ripping off your season ticket at the dougie Stand and walking round to the Popular and having races with my sister up the terracing in the corner to the red and white hut at the top... just playing

Wembley homecomings the pitch covered in black sheets just playing rugby with anyone with a bright green puma rugby ball my prized possession! Denis Betts singing “Saturday night at the movies” piss drunk! I’m sure I saw kelvin sleeper or cowrie eat a packet of crisps during a match too!

Being 5 years old being allowed to go to the toilets through the Popular Stand bar the smell I can still smell it! 20,000 on and parents trusted me to wander.

Soo happy to have had the chance to be there. It’s sad but it’s our life isn’t it. That’s love. Home.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

That day would've been even sadder if I'd know what a bleak soulless characterless concrete mosoleium we'd be moving to ,somewhere that we don't own and pay a fortune for only to play second fiddle .
The e saddest day of this clubs history.