Hull KR sign Grand Final winner Shaun Kenny-Dowall

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Hull KR sign Grand Final winner Shaun Kenny-Dowall

Post by josie andrews »

The former New Zealand Test international has agreed a switch to Craven Park

Hull KR are understood to have pulled off a major transfer coup after agreeing a deal with former New Zealand Test star Shaun Kenny-Dowall.

The 31-year-old centre confirmed to the Australian press today that he will leave current club Newcastle Knights to take up an offer at an unnamed Super League side.

That side are believed to be Rovers who have agreed a long-term deal for the ex-Sydney Roosters star, although it is our understanding the paperwork is still to be signed off shortly.

A 2013 Grand Final winner with the Roosters, SKD as he is known, has played 277 NRL games and will end his time in Australia with 139 career tries in the premier competition. Only Anthony Minichiello has scored more tries for Sydney than SKD.

An injury means he'll not play again this season but the centre or winger is expected to be fine to begin training with Rovers later this year ahead of starting life at Craven Park.

Rovers are not available to comment at this stage on the reports of a deal, but could make an announcement shortly after the news broke in Australia.

There has been no word whether SKD's deal is dependant on Rovers staying in Super League, which would be expected, however the Robins are hopeful of achieving that this evening with a win over London Broncos.

The Robins, who last week announced Tony Smith has signed a long-term deal to stay at the club, have already agreed contracts with Bradford Bulls' Ethan Ryan, Castleford Tigers' Greg Minikin and Toronto Wolfpack's Nick Rawsthrone to strengthen their outside backs next season.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... ny-3291056
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
nathan_rugby

Re: Hull KR sign Grand Final winner Shaun Kenny-Dowall

Post by nathan_rugby »

Why would such a good player move from Syndey to hull and to the second worst team in the league ?

They surely can’t be paying him too well can they? How much can they afford ?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

The whole salary cap is covered by sky income, so everyone can pay the same up to Marquee players.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Mike wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:26 pm The whole salary cap is covered by sky income, so everyone can pay the same up to Marquee players.

I know that fact but I guess clubs firstly use it to cover all other costs and cannot assume they can afford to use it all on salary.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:45 pm
Mike wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:26 pm The whole salary cap is covered by sky income, so everyone can pay the same up to Marquee players.

I know that fact but I guess clubs firstly use it to cover all other costs and cannot assume they can afford to use it all on salary.
I think the key to me here is the "Long term deal"

the guy is 31 im guessing a top SL team would only give him a 1-2 year deal and im guessing this is more like a 3-4-5 year deal. Its better for him to earn say 100k for 4 years than 120-150k for 1
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Good signing.
Would of usually said that we should of been in for him, think our cap will be almost full for next season now.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Apparently conner isnt happy at hull....... i know he can be a hot head but hes still a very good player....... also very versatile....... could we fit him in if shorrocks/sammut/escare were released?....... ide be very tempted but is he every ones cup of tea?
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Firestarter wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:59 pm Apparently conner isnt happy at hull....... i know he can be a hot head but hes still a very good player....... also very versatile....... could we fit him in if shorrocks/sammut/escare were released?....... ide be very tempted but is he every ones cup of tea?
I really rate him too. The funny stuff aside, he is a very good, smart footballer,

I wouldn't be too worried about SKD. He is past his best and has plenty of errors in him. Another Hurrell, at best.