Did Justin Holbrook resign as Saints boss after the Challenge Cup final?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Did Justin Holbrook resign as Saints boss after the Challenge Cup final?

Post by josie andrews »

As we know, Justin Holbrook will leave St Helens at the end of the season to take over as Gold Coast Titans head coach.

However, there are murmurs in the press that the Australian offered his resignation to chairman Eamonn McManus after the Challenge Cup final defeat to Warrington.

Despite winning the League Leaders’ Shield in 2018 and dominating the regular league season again this campaign, St Helens have yet to win one of the two ‘major’ domestic trophies under Holbrook.

Against a Wolves side missing star player Blake Austin, Saints entered the Wembley final as huge favourites but ultimately choked under pressure again.

They have now lost three semi-finals and one final since Holbrook took charge midway through 2017, with the 18-4 loss to the Wolves by far the most disappointing yet.

And it seems Holbrook didn’t take the defeat well either according to former Great Britain captain Garry Schofield.

When asked about the speculation surrounding Holbrook’s resignation, Schofield told Forty20 Live: “I heard that myself two or three times from good sources.

“He didn’t offer, he actually resigned and Saints said ‘we’re not accepting your resignation, you are seeing out this season.’

“Is the pressure getting to Holbrook? It is only speculation but there is no smoke without fire, it’s as simple as that.”

Since their Wembley defeat, Saints have returned to league action and extended their lead at the top of Super League to 18 points with a 4-0 victory against Castleford.

Unlike last season, the league leaders get two chances to make it to the Grand Final with home advantage in the new five-team playoff system.

This more favourable run to Old Trafford may have persuaded Holbrook to stay, with the bookies still making Saints odds-on favourites to lift the Super League trophy next month.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/did-just ... nal-22005/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ancientnloyal

Re: Did Justin Holbrook resign as Saints boss after the Challenge Cup final?

Post by ancientnloyal »

He’s still won more than Garry Schofield! 😂
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
moto748

Re: Did Justin Holbrook resign as Saints boss after the Challenge Cup final?

Post by moto748 »

I must admit, my first thought reading that was, you bitter old git! :lol: