Caine Barnes & Samy Kibula to Leave Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southportcdm

Caine Barnes & Samy Kibula to Leave Wigan

Post by southportcdm »

Sad to see earlier rumours confirmed today that Samy has signed for wire next season. Given his age and a requirement for a reserve side next season I thought we may give him more time. Although not very athletic at times, he's a huge lad with good skills who may yet grow into his frame. I had the impression that his form in the championship has improved considerably recently. Anyone know the details or any more thoughts on a rumoured signing of a very good backrower?
fozzieskem

Re: Samy Kibula

Post by fozzieskem »

He is an enigma wrapped ina puzzle,by now most players have started to show that they’re progressing or not as the case maybe but Samy seems to have stood still.

Huge lad which hasn’t helped him in terms of not be able to hide away and develop at his own pace,he’s big ergo he must be good seemed to be the argument.

For me he seems to nice a lad for RL he was nowhere ready for his debut last season,I admit I only saw him against the Wolfpack while he was at dewsbury,again he looked a little lost.

I hope he pushes on if he has signed for wire he has alsorts of skill he just needs time to grow into them perhaps
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors' Samy Kibula set to join Super League rivals

Samy Kibula is set to leave Wigan at the end of the season - to join Super League rivals Warrington.

The towering forward is out of contract at the end of the season and is not being retained.

Kibula made his debut last year but has not been able to squeeze his way into Adrian Lam’s side this season.

And with the Warriors well-stocked for back-rowers for 2020, he will look to carve out a name for himself in Super League with the Wolves.

Born in Congo, 6ft 4in Kibula won two academy Grand Finals with Wigan before being promoted to the full-time squad.

He was handed a debut by Shaun Wane in a 20-12 defeat to Huddersfield but hasn’t figured since, and has played for both Swinton and Dewsbury on loan or dual-registration agreements.

Lam has used Liam Farrell, Willie Isa, Joe Greenwood and Morgan Smithies in the second-row spots this season.

Joe Shorrocks also got a taste of the first-team and with fit-again Jack Wells offered a new deal, and London teenager Kai Pearce-Paul expected to come on board, they decided not to retain Kibula.

Owner Ian Lenagan admitted recently Wigan would take a more ruthless approach with fringe players, which was evident by allowing Liam Forsyth and Josh Gansen to leave early.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan- ... -1-9983294
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:13 pm He is an enigma wrapped ina puzzle,by now most players have started to show that they’re progressing or not as the case maybe but Samy seems to have stood still.

Huge lad which hasn’t helped him in terms of not be able to hide away and develop at his own pace,he’s big ergo he must be good seemed to be the argument.

For me he seems to nice a lad for RL he was nowhere ready for his debut last season,I admit I only saw him against the Wolfpack while he was at dewsbury,again he looked a little lost.

I hope he pushes on if he has signed for wire he has alsorts of skill he just needs time to grow into them perhaps
Can't say I agree. I don't think Samy has stood still at all and has had a very successful season with both Dewsbury and Swinton in the Championship. If anything he's managed to kick on to the point where he's comfortable playing at Championship level. Last season he went to Swinton for a game or two but was well out of his depth.

On quite a few occasions he was given Swinton's man of the match in the League Express match review and has drawn quite a lot of praise from Stuart Littler in the few months he's been there.

Not so long ago there was doubts about his fitness and whether he could play long minutes but he had an outstanding game away at Bradford where he played around 70 minutes in the back row and was probably the best player on the field. There are some decent players in the Championship too so it's a good level of rugby for a young forward.

Predicting who will become a top prop isn't an exact science though. Since Samy hasn't been given first team chances this year I'm not surprised his future lies elsewhere, but I do feel like he should have been given a chance in the first team this year. There's no guarantee he'll be successful at Wire but there's also no guarantee that the young props we're keeping will get any better or become top players.

For me Samy was worth keeping hold of because he's different to the sort of props we usually produce and has shown some good development this year. He's also got the build and attacking skills to make an impact at an early age. Most young props struggle in their early 20's as they don't seem able to compete physically. That's not really an issue for Samy although there are plenty of areas to work on.

Generally though the best props across Super League has been signed from other sides, rather than homegrown. That's probably because it's not always cost effective to keep hold of a 19/20 year old prop who may only reach their peak at 27. Do you stick with them for 7/8 years or allow them to leave and sign someone else who will provide a more immediate benefit?

These decisions can be tough. I think it's just a shame that if Kibula does make it in Super League it won't be with us because he's always been a very exciting player and that's the kind of player I like to watch.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

One that will come back and bite us in the ass
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

medlocke wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:59 pm One that will come back and bite us in the ass
We are trying to free up cap space to make another exciting signing mmmm
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

EagleEyePie wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:40 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:13 pm He is an enigma wrapped ina puzzle,by now most players have started to show that they’re progressing or not as the case maybe but Samy seems to have stood still.

Can't say I agree. I don't think Samy has stood still at all and has had a very successful season with both Dewsbury and Swinton in the Championship. If anything he's managed to kick on to the point where he's comfortable playing at Championship level. Last season he went to Swinton for a game or two but was well out of his depth.

On quite a few occasions he was given Swinton's man of the match in the League Express match review and has drawn quite a lot of praise from Stuart Littler in the few months he's been there.

Not so long ago there was doubts about his fitness and whether he could play long minutes but he had an outstanding game away at Bradford where he played around 70 minutes in the back row and was probably the best player on the field. There are some decent players in the Championship too so it's a good level of rugby for a young forward.

Predicting who will become a top prop isn't an exact science though. Since Samy hasn't been given first team chances this year I'm not surprised his future lies elsewhere, but I do feel like he should have been given a chance in the first team this year. There's no guarantee he'll be successful at Wire but there's also no guarantee that the young props we're keeping will get any better or become top players.

For me Samy was worth keeping hold of because he's different to the sort of props we usually produce and has shown some good development this year. He's also got the build and attacking skills to make an impact at an early age. Most young props struggle in their early 20's as they don't seem able to compete physically. That's not really an issue for Samy although there are plenty of areas to work on.

Generally though the best props across Super League has been signed from other sides, rather than homegrown. That's probably because it's not always cost effective to keep hold of a 19/20 year old prop who may only reach their peak at 27. Do you stick with them for 7/8 years or allow them to leave and sign someone else who will provide a more immediate benefit?

These decisions can be tough. I think it's just a shame that if Kibula does make it in Super League it won't be with us because he's always been a very exciting player and that's the kind of player I like to watch.
You sort answer your own point by proclaiming him a success at dewsbury and Swinton this season..Lam has thrown out many debuts to the young lads yet Kabul’s didn’t get a sniff,which for me speaks volumes.

Nothing would give me greater pleasure if he goes on at wire and becomes a str in his own right at wire,Wigan can’t keep them all but I feel he’s just swapped a big club for another big club and will find the same issues at wire as he has had at Wigan and will spend most of his time out on loan,maybe he should have done what Bullock did drop down and back himself to come good?

Who knows non of us are mystic meg but I certainly wish the lad well.
Last edited by fozzieskem on Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

I don't think so meds. Not progressed as expected even with lone in championship never stood out. There's a few more to go yet too. Have to agree with IL on this needs to be more ruthless with culling if we want big signings on top pay. We cant have it both ways moaning when we let players go and moaning for not signing top stars. Well for me he has done a blinder in signings for me.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:33 pm
medlocke wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:59 pm One that will come back and bite us in the ass
We are trying to free up cap space to make another exciting signing mmmm
Jake conner please........ ticks all the boxes imo
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Pie in the sky. They would need more than Kibula moving on.They would have to let a couple of first teamers go before they could even consider a signing anyone let alone a good one. There is simply no money to play with. I think them lessons have been learnt.