Kristian Woolf handed notice by Tonga

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Kristian Woolf handed notice by Tonga

Post by josie andrews »

Kristian Woolf has been given his notice by the Tonga Rugby League board.

Woolf is favourite to be named new St Helens boss and is currently acting as interim boss at Newcastle Knights.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/kr ... -by-tonga/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Kristian Woolf handed notice by Tonga/ Kristian Woolf named new St Helens head coach

Post by josie andrews »

Kristian Woolf named new St Helens head coach

Kristian Woolf has been announced as St Helens' new head coach for next season.

Woolf, who finished the NRL season as caretaker boss of Newcastle Knights, will take up a two-year contract as Saints' new head coach on November 1.

He succeeds Gold Coast Titans-bound Justin Holbrook and St Helens chairman Eamonn McManus believes Woolf can take the club to even greater heights.

We consider that Kristian is ideally qualified and placed to build upon the current success of the team and the club," McManus said.

"He has the experience and expertise to bring the best out of our existing squad and to improve it further.

"We are very confident that the Saints will seriously compete for honours under his tenure and that we will continue to play attractive and exciting rugby league."

The 44-year-old, who has signed a two-year deal with the option for a further year, comes to Super League with a wealth of coaching experience in both Australia and internationally with Tonga.

Woolf enjoyed successful spells with North Queensland Cowboys' youth teams and Intrust Super Cup side Townsville Blackhawks, along with serving as an assistant at both the Knights and Brisbane Broncos.

As Tonga head coach, Woolf oversaw their rise from 14th to fourth in the world rankings and their memorable run to the 2017 Rugby League World Cup semi-finals, which included a memorable shock victory against New Zealand.

"I'm excited and privileged to be joining St Helens as head coach," Woolf said.

"It's something I have always wanted to do and it's a great opportunity for me. St Helens is a club with an amazing history and I'm confident we can achieve great things together."

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... lens-coach
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan