Sean O'Loughlin and Ben Flower set to give Wigan Warriors a boost

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Sean O'Loughlin and Ben Flower set to give Wigan Warriors a boost

Post by josie andrews »

Sean O'Loughlin and Ben Flower both emerged unscathed from full training sessions to put them on course to return this week.

Captain O'Loughlin has recovered from a torn pectoral suffered at the start of August.

And prop Flower has been sidelined by a minor knee injury he suffered just after returning from a back problem.

Lam is today expected to name them both in his 19-man squad to face Castleford.

But he will only make a call after training tomorrow and admits the fact the game has been brought forward 24 hours - to be televised by Sky Sports - may work against them.

"They're a chance, they both trained last week in spurts, but this was their first full session and they both looked really good," said Lam yesterday.

"It just depend on the pain in the knee for Ben and the strength in the arm for Lockers.

"It would have been ideal for them if we were playing Saturday or Sunday, but it's not to be, and we'll make a call on Wednesday."

Their likely return will mean Lam would only need to drop one player from last Friday's line-up, given Liam Farrell has been given a one-game ban.

Joe Greenwood would seem the most likely candidate to start on the left-side second-row spot in place of Farrell.

Meanwhile, Wigan's Under-19s are set to face Warrington at Robin Park this Saturday lunchtime in their academy semi-final. If they win, the table-topping Warriors will have the right to stage the Grand Final if the DW Stadium is available.

St Helens face Leeds in the other semi-final.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/sean-o ... -1-9985541
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Re: Sean O'Loughlin and Ben Flower set to give Wigan Warriors a boost

Post by medlocke »

Some see it as a boost, I see it as a disruption, We have been playing well without either
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Agreed medlocke.We do not need them now if they are only playing very limited time in matches it would be a gamble at the business end of the season.Both would probley breakdown in the warm up so its not worth speculating about
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

If the choice is Flower or Byrne in a play off game I would still choose Flower, just.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:22 pm If the choice is Flower or Byrne in a play off game I would still choose Flower, just.
I'd choose Flower every time. Byrne is hit and miss in terms of effectiveness in attack and is a bit weak in defence for Super League. Not that there's anything concerning about that because he's still ahead of most props his age in terms of ability.

If we can get Flower back and fully fit we've got a much better chance of reaching the Grand Final. It's reaching full fitness that will be the problem with both Flower and O'Loughlin given how few games remain.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

If anyone can ease himself back in, it’s Lockers. I have no fears about either of them, especially as we seem to have asked a huge amount of inexperienced forwards over a long period, and I wonder how often we can keep going back to the well.
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

This could be a big gamble to give them both game time, depending on if they are fully recovered and fully fit, is it worth a risk in this game alone

Hankinson has been 18th man for the past 3 or 4 games, he also needs game time if he is required to step in, he can play several positions both in backs and fowards, it's getting to the business end of the session, is Lam putting all his eggs in one basket I wonder?

I hope Lockers dosent break down again and then be out for the remaining play off games
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:37 pm If anyone can ease himself back in, it’s Lockers. I have no fears about either of them, especially as we seem to have asked a huge amount of inexperienced forwards over a long period, and I wonder how often we can keep going back to the well.
I don't doubt either of them will be 100% fit or it is a massive (and probably stupid) gamble. It would just be match fitness that's the issue I would guess.

Still beats me why they can't have time at Swinton playing at a lesser standard to gain that fitness and probably "do" longer minutes

The point were Lockers comes into the last games of the season after being out for a long period and plays his part and doesn't cost us, could eventually come home to bite us on the bum - we can only get away with this for so long
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll: