Wigan Warriors v Castleford

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Re: Wigan Warriors v Castleford

Post by ancientnloyal »

Boycotting won’t achieve anything. Sky or the RFL aren’t bothered. As long as it fills a gap in a Thursday night Sports slot its all good for them

We buy season tickets before fixtures are announced... and then plan days off etc in November or December months in advance. 6 days before is ridiculous.

Nothing will change. We need a strong RL Supporters Association which we don’t have do we with any sort of influence
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:10 am Would it be worth boycotting a Thursday game to send a message to sky and the RFL? They wouldn't be able to not acknowledge it in commentary and it would gain publicity throughout the media. Thursdays game will still probably attract 8k I'm guessing, even without those who are unable to attend, myself included. If we could co operate with the away fans to stay away for that one game, imagine trying to explain why the ground is virtually empty on live TV. Not only that, but it sends a message to the RFL (just in case they actually care about the fans) that we aren't happy with how we are being treated.
But you are only punishing the club! Do you think a smaller crowd will make a difference to Sky?

You will probably still watch the game on TV so what is the point of reducing much needed revenue for the club by not attending if you possibly can?

I truly feel for fans who are unable to attend this game now. I hate Thursday night games & they don't affect me!

My pal is travelling over from his home in the states, his plane lands early Friday morning to attend this game, he is unable to change flight plans.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
BostonWarrior

Post by BostonWarrior »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:19 pm
BostonWarrior wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:46 pm
ancientnloyal wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:33 am You would be able to get tickets refunded but not season tickets I gather
Based on the fact that the Wigan v Castleford game had been on the schedule all season for Friday 13th September I, like many other Season Ticket holders will, have other commitments next week and will not be able to attend on Thursday.

So, given the ludicrously late change of date for the game, my question asked of the Club is simply ‘Are you prepared to offer any ‘compensation’ to Season Ticket holders who cannot attend on Thursday?’

I was unable to get through on the ‘phone to the Ticket Office yesterday to get clarification – I gave up after listening to the loop of ‘hold messages’ for 20 minutes. So, I have sent a message on the Warriors’ website ‘Contact Us’ page. After hitting the ‘send’ button up popped a note to say that my message had been received, would be read but that I would not necessarily get a reply!! What marvellous PR / customer service that is!!

Anyhow – and I know it isn’t exactly Wigan’s fault that the change of date has been made – but should there be no ‘help’ given to ST holders that find themselves unable to go on Thursday – then I’ll not be forking out extra money for any home play-off tickets. Should Wigan have a home play-off game the week after then I’ll be staying at home to watch it on TV and save myself a few bob.

If one of Sky’s and Super League’s aims is to attract more TV viewers by messing about with fixture scheduling to put games on TV - then with me sat at home watching the play-off game rather than buying what would be an additional ticket and being there in person they’ll be on track!! Well done them!!

My decision, my choice – and maybe some won’t agree as the change of date isn’t Wigan’s fault – but how much more sh*t are Sky and Super League going to throw at the paying spectators?, and what is Wigan’s financial threshold before they actually object on their paying customers’ behalf and even refuse to move a game ?
The ticket office isn't open on a Saturday, unless there is a game on, so you could have been on the phone all day!

Plus the ticketing website has been down;
https://twitter.com/wiganwarriorsrl/sta ... 49312?s=21

Our ticketing website is currently down, our partners are working on the issue, thank you for your patience whilst the problem is being resolved
It was back up working a few hours ago.😊
Thank you for the info.

In all honesty I didn’t know the regular ticket office hours and didn’t look at the Warriors' website (other than reading the ‘Tigers clash moved’ article) to check the opening times. I’m only in Wigan myself on matchdays and hardly ever have the need to phone so, with the article stating ‘anybody who has any further queries regarding tickets should contact the DW Stadium Ticket Office on 01942 311111, I did so immediately.

It would have helped though – and not wasted my 20 minutes - if the ticket office answering message had stated ‘The ticket office is now closed’. As it was the answering message I got on Saturday stated something like ‘all our agents are busy at the moment, but your call will be answered as soon as possible’. Surely, they could be a little more professional and have an appropriate and accurate answering message. But I suppose they weren’t telling lies – the agents were probably all busy - at home - and they would answer my call as soon as possible – on Monday morning!!

And now so many stories on here about the plans being ruined and money being wasted. I heard earlier this morning from a Castleford fan that I met at a Magic Weekend one year at the Etihad and have kept in occasional touch with since by email. He and three others were coming on Friday and had booked and paid for one of the hospitality packages to celebrate one of their birthdays. None of them can make it on Thursday because they’re all at work and can’t get the time off changed they’d booked for Friday afternoon.

It seems that TV companies worldwide are taking over the fixture lists in a variety of sports. For example, there seems to me more non-Sunday games in the NFL these days on live TV, and in Poland they now regularly show two live Ekstraliga Speedway matches on TV on Fridays (until this year 99% of matches had been on Sundays) with one of them starting as early as 6.00pm. I recently attended one such match where the home team usually have gates of around 13,000 – but on that Friday early evening and awkward start time it was down 9,600. And they only don’t decide on which of the two matches will start at 6.00pm around 12 – 14 days ahead of time. So not much consideration being shown for the paying spectator anywhere nowadays.
Born in : BOSTON, Warriors Season Ticket : BOSTON STAND
BostonWarrior

Post by BostonWarrior »

...........but on that Friday early evening and awkward start time it was down to 9,600. And they only don’t decide on which of the two matches will start at 6.00pm around 12 – 14 days ahead of time. So not much consideration being shown for the paying spectator anywhere nowadays.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:12 am It’s ridiculous. This is what I was on about in the £1.4m loss thread.

I first saw this mentioned as a fixture change on Facebook and it was people coming from Doncaster who had booked rail tickets in advance for the Friday game complaining they were out of pocket big time.

I know travelling fans (of which I am one) are a minority but it isn’t just travelling fans who make arrangements based on fixtures as published.

The idea a season ticket is a good investment with this farce occurring must seem not a good one for many.
Now i'm not happy about the change, Friday night games are a good wind down from a busy week. But how many times does this actually happen with this amount of notice?

A season ticket is still a good investment and its a shame you are already putting the clubs efforts down because sky changed the date to suit their needs.

I can't imagine IL will be to happy with the change.
The people in question bought their rail tickets well in advance to get them at a cheaper price. Leaving it to the last minute in case Sky change the fixture costs people money. For some it’s not just rail tickets but other bookings like hotels and time off to travel.

I am pretty sure EW has had similar issues this and other seasons.

As to me “putting the clubs efforts down” what on Earth are you on about? That is a truly bizarre comment. I am having a go at Sky not the club.

If you read the £1.4m loss thread I suggested Sky making fixture changes at short notice was a possible reason for declining attendances and now a few days later Sky go and do it and people have been shafted by it.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:12 am
Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:12 am It’s ridiculous. This is what I was on about in the £1.4m loss thread.

I first saw this mentioned as a fixture change on Facebook and it was people coming from Doncaster who had booked rail tickets in advance for the Friday game complaining they were out of pocket big time.

I know travelling fans (of which I am one) are a minority but it isn’t just travelling fans who make arrangements based on fixtures as published.

The idea a season ticket is a good investment with this farce occurring must seem not a good one for many.
Now i'm not happy about the change, Friday night games are a good wind down from a busy week. But how many times does this actually happen with this amount of notice?

A season ticket is still a good investment and its a shame you are already putting the clubs efforts down because sky changed the date to suit their needs.

I can't imagine IL will be to happy with the change.
The people in question bought their rail tickets well in advance to get them at a cheaper price. Leaving it to the last minute in case Sky change the fixture costs people money. For some it’s not just rail tickets but other bookings like hotels and time off to travel.

I am pretty sure EW has had similar issues this and other seasons.

As to me “putting the clubs efforts down” what on Earth are you on about? That is a truly bizarre comment. I am having a go at Sky not the club.

If you read the £1.4m loss thread I suggested Sky making fixture changes at short notice was a possible reason for declining attendances and now a few days later Sky go and do it and people have been shafted by it.
I was referring to this part:

Even with 1 or 2 last minute fixture changes season tickets are still good value for money due to the extras.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Just had no trouble getting a refund from the club for two tickets I can't use tomorrow. Very efficient, no quibbles. Well done ticket office.
BostonWarrior

Post by BostonWarrior »

southportcdm wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:04 pm Just had no trouble getting a refund from the club for two tickets I can't use tomorrow. Very efficient, no quibbles. Well done ticket office.
Just heard from a friend who 'phoned the ticket office this morning and got his money back too. He told me the agent's opening remark when he told her he couldn't go tonight was:-

‘We can refund your money if its a match ticket, but can’t do anything for you at all if you have a season ticket.”

So, whilst I'm pleased for you and him, I don't think too many season ticket holders will be saying "Well done ticket office."
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I’ve managed to sort work cover at a cost for my company but now able to go (just)
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

As a season ticket holder myself I got the refund for two extra tickets I'd bought for friends. Although annoyed by the change in date I wouldn't expect a refund on the season tickets because I accept that dates may be changed and that's a risk you take when you buy a season ticket. I know it's not ideal but that is the deal.