Recruitment/Retention Drive For 2021

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Recruitment/Retention Drive For 2021

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I wouldn’t rule out keeping hold of Hastings, as he has tried to leave the last 2 years and not had big enough offers. A marquee player here will get paid at least as much as a mid ranking NRL player, so he would need to find a gig in a higher tier over there. That’s by no means certain. We have signed French for a few years, so not losing sleep about his going. I think Burgess will never reach his potential and wouldn’t keep him unless he goes through a transformation.

Of the others, I don’t think we will be seeing escare or Sammutt here next year, and would love us to be able to keep Gildart. Maybe the NRL will be cautious about a super league back. However, if he is happy to do a Sutton, and sign for a relatively low NRL wage, then we will really struggle. Such a shame. Perhaps after Brexit is finally sorted one way or another (though I suspect we will go on trapped forever neither in nor out), the pound will hammer up and we can offer more competitive salaries? Clutching at straws I know.

I actually disagree slightly with the OP, as I think we are set really fair for the next couple of years, regardless of which of those we are discussing comes or goes.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:10 pm I wouldn’t rule out keeping hold of Hastings, as he has tried to leave the last 2 years and not had big enough offers. A marquee player here will get paid at least as much as a mid ranking NRL player, so he would need to find a gig in a higher tier over there. That’s by no means certain. We have signed French for a few years, so not losing sleep about his going. I think Burgess will never reach his potential and wouldn’t keep him unless he goes through a transformation.

Of the others, I don’t think we will be seeing escare or Sammutt here next year, and would love us to be able to keep Gildart. Maybe the NRL will be cautious about a super league back. However, if he is happy to do a Sutton, and sign for a relatively low NRL wage, then we will really struggle. Such a shame. Perhaps after Brexit is finally sorted one way or another (though I suspect we will go on trapped forever neither in nor out), the pound will hammer up and we can offer more competitive salaries? Clutching at straws I know.

I actually disagree slightly with the OP, as I think we are set really fair for the next couple of years, regardless of which of those we are discussing comes or goes.
Just a couple of questions Exiled, what makes you think Budgie will never reach his potential? What is Sutton's salary at Canberra and how does it compare to what he was being paid at Wigan?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I think even most Leavers now conceded that sterling will only be going in one direction post-Brexit, and that is downwards, so that won't help. I agree about Burgess; I look at the excellent wingers in the NRL, and i think, really, is Burgess of that standard, or likely to be? I think not. Keeping Gildart should be a priority. We have one of SL's very few international class centres, there.
Woody1989

Post by Woody1989 »

jackthelad wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:55 pm
Woody1989 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:11 am I imagine both Leuluai and Lockers will call it quits after next season (assuming the latter doesn't retire after this season). I also imagine Gildart will leave for the NRL along with (more than likely) Hastings, meaning signing a top centre and half-back will be crucial. Particularly centre as we're a bit thin in that position as it stands.
We have Hankinson as a centre and he has been solid and good value when he played consecutive games in the centre position, only issue is if Lam sees him as first choice, since the Leeds / Hudds games hes been sub & then 18th man so still needs a good run of games to establish himself
Agreed, but if Gildart does leave after next season then our centre options will be Hankinson and Bibby. And let's not forget, Hank is out of contract after next season too. Even if Hardaker gets switched to centre then we'd still be thin on options so would need a signing.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I agree that centre is a problem. It just isn’t worth signing a marquee player there (as opposed to the marquee signing I expect we would sign if Hastings leaves). That said, other clubs have had some success in getting exciting NRLers, so I am not going to lose any sleep over it.

On the pound, I simply can’t see any way the establishment will let it happen, so this time next year we may get a bounce back... (in my dreams). I don’t know what Sutton has been paid, but I am sure I read somewhere that he said he wasn’t being paid that much. His contract has been extended already and I am guessing uplifted after he has become a regular in the 17.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Think gildart going to the Nrl would be a mistake.
I do rate gilly but I don’t think he’d be able to cope in the Nrl. I think he should stay at Wigan and make a legacy there.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:00 pm I agree that centre is a problem. It just isn’t worth signing a marquee player there (as opposed to the marquee signing I expect we would sign if Hastings leaves). That said, other clubs have had some success in getting exciting NRLers, so I am not going to lose any sleep over it.

On the pound, I simply can’t see any way the establishment will let it happen, so this time next year we may get a bounce back... (in my dreams). I don’t know what Sutton has been paid, but I am sure I read somewhere that he said he wasn’t being paid that much. His contract has been extended already and I am guessing uplifted after he has become a regular in the 17.
What do you mean the establishment won’t let it happen?

How do you explain the last 2-3 years of value drops? They’re just waiting for Brexit and all of a sudden the £ will be more valuable?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:34 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:10 pm I wouldn’t rule out keeping hold of Hastings, as he has tried to leave the last 2 years and not had big enough offers. A marquee player here will get paid at least as much as a mid ranking NRL player, so he would need to find a gig in a higher tier over there. That’s by no means certain. We have signed French for a few years, so not losing sleep about his going. I think Burgess will never reach his potential and wouldn’t keep him unless he goes through a transformation.

Just a couple of questions Exiled, what makes you think Budgie will never reach his potential? What is Sutton's salary at Canberra and how does it compare to what he was being paid at Wigan?
Had Burgess reached the form or consistency he showed over 4 years ago before he left for the NRL? No.

In the 3 years he’s been back at the club he’s been a combination of injured, dropped, poor, average, good and occasionally excellent.

Before he left he was the best winger in the league with the potential to be the best in the world.

On current form he could potentially find himself 4th choice winger when Manfredi and Davies are back.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a Burgess fan, on form he’s untouchable and a class act but his injury record, errors and defensive frailties are leaving me questioning him.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

So what you are saying is that he has already reached his potential? His strike rate is still outstanding but maybe we have seen the best of Budgie, next season will be crucial.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

We'd best see who's snorting Charlie or drink driving before we sort 2021 out.!