George Williams v Jacob Trueman

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

George Williams v Jacob Trueman

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Powell has been saying how good Trueman is so I thought I would compare his performances with George Williams. Trueman's stats are in brackets.

Tries 14 (8)

Try Assists 21 (13)

Clean Breaks 16 (16)

Metres 2656 (1788)

Offloads 45 (15)

Tackle Busts 118 (68)

Tackles 475 (477)

Missed Tackles 43 (59)

I'll let you make your mind up who is the better player. We will miss George in 2020.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
DaveO

Re: George Williams v Jacob Trueman

Post by DaveO »

Think you are being a bit selective. Trueman is a lot less experienced. He's played about 60 games for Cas whereas Williams has 180 for us. He's also four years younger than Williams at 20.

That said I agree we will miss Williams. I think what sees Williams criticised is one minute he'd brilliant and the next he comes up with a nothing play.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Seems to me lams stopped his aimless kicks and kicks to the corner ,don't think there was even one last night. His performance's have improved as a result and steadily under lam with ball in hand we're improving.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I think True,an is much like Williams,sky are bigging him much as they did with Williams not giving him any chance to go along at his o2n pace,for me he is a fine player who,much like Williams will mature in the fullness of time,he is a fair way off Williams though at present as you’d expect him to be.

Yes Wigan will miss Williams,French isn’t a half in a month of Sunday’s so it looks like Tommy will go round again alongside Hastings it’s going to be different that’s for sure.
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Mickw wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:22 am Seems to me lams stopped his aimless kicks and kicks to the corner ,don't think there was even one last night. His performance's have improved as a result and steadily under lam with ball in hand we're improving.
Lam has defo told George to leave the kicking to others and concentrate on ball in hand . Much better for it as well . Through time he will have to improve his kicking game . Class player .

Regards EW
2002 and EW is hooked
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I agree he is better than Trueman, but we would only miss him next year if he is better than Hastings. Given that Hastings has inspired an average team to at least 4th and is in line to be man of steel, I am not losing any sleep over that exchange. I would also be fascinated to see the comparative stats for Sam Tomkins and Hardaker, to see how much we miss him.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

DaveO wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:59 am Think you are being a bit selective. Trueman is a lot less experienced. He's played about 60 games for Cas whereas Williams has 180 for us. He's also four years younger than Williams at 20.

That said I agree we will miss Williams. I think what sees Williams criticised is one minute he'd brilliant and the next he comes up with a nothing play.
I wasn't being selective Dave and I wasn't having a pop at Trueman, who has bags of potential. I was simply trying to highlight what George brings to our team. He is undoubtedly a match winner but some can't see that.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I did take a look at the stats for Williams v Hastings and Hastings’ were superior in most important matrixes. I also took a look at Hardaker’s v Tomkins and Zak was better in every respect save for try assists. I did not check how many games people had played but in average metres per carry Sam’s was much the lowest of the 4.

That said, they can’t measure overall influence where Hastings would for mine score more highly than all the others. When you look at what he has done as main play maker for that squad he is a class act. I would also cautiously argue that Zak has been very good for us and Tomkins has not been for them but I have obviously seen a lot more of Zak. In short I don’t think we will “miss” Williams as we have signed a better player and I don’t think we have (ultimately) missed Tomkins.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Comment about Trueman being younger made me check George's stats at same age. Here they are for past 5 years.
(Totals for season, doesn't account for how many minutes he played, how the team performed, etc etc.)

GEORGE WILLIAMS

Year -----T---A----TK-----B-----C-------M------AG-----CB----AK

2015 -----8---21----51---78---291---1955---6.72---19----67

2016 -----9---18---354---66---241---1614---6.70---12----59

2017 ----11---29---435---79---364---2269---6.23---15---101

2018 ----6---22---402---85---334---2124---6.36---19---105

2019 ----14---21---488---122---408---2732---6.7---18---107

(I tried pasting a table from Excel, but it won't accept, so hope columns are clear.)

T = Tries; A = Try Assists; TK = Tackles; B = Tackle Busts; M = Metres; AG = Average Gain;
CB = Clean Breaks; AK = Attacking Kicks.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Stats mean nothing, you can make them read whatever you wish so this is a pointless comparison.