George Williams v Jacob Trueman

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
moto748

Re: George Williams v Jacob Trueman

Post by moto748 »

Jake Trueman is a talented young player, and we need good young English halves coming through. George Williams is already a very good player, and I believe he can improve substantially in the NRL, as others have done.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

old hooker wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:02 pm Stats mean nothing, you can make them read whatever you wish so this is a pointless comparison.
I wonder why all pro-sports organizations spend so much in collecting them then. We even have data collection units in our shirts these days.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

old hooker wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:02 pm Stats mean nothing, you can make them read whatever you wish so this is a pointless comparison.
I'm not looking for an argument, OH, but I knew somebody would say that.

From a fan's point of view, it's perfectly possible and reasonable to follow the game and not be interested in stats. On the other hand I was the kind of kid who sorted my Smarties into colours and ate them in order! Many cricket and baseball fans, for example, analyse stats as a big part of their interest in the game: it's a personality thing.

However, stats are essential for coaches and players in the modern game at top level. Studying the opposition: number of runs from dummy half, offloads, who prefers right or left shoulder and hundreds more, all help coaches give their players the edge. That's why you don't get coaches like Maurice Bamford and Alex Murphy any more.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I know he’s getting on now but I don’t get why Johnny lomax doesn’t ever get talked about - for me he’s probably the most rounded English half at the moment everytime I see him play he does some great stuff and sky hardly ever mention him
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Woody1989

Post by Woody1989 »

This is a pretty daft statement. The stats are pretty much the only constant in our game and you can't 'make them read whatever you wish', you can interprept them differently (which I think is probably what you mean?) but the numbers themselves don't lie.

There are certain things you can't easily quantify (influence, organisational ability and leadership on the pitch for instance) but stats like the ones presented are a pretty good measure of what's going on.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Mike wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:58 am
I wonder why all pro-sports organizations spend so much in collecting them then. We even have data collection units in our shirts these days.
Proves nothing.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Woody1989 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:05 pm
This is a pretty daft statement. The stats are pretty much the only constant in our game and you can't 'make them read whatever you wish', you can interprept them differently (which I think is probably what you mean?) but the numbers themselves don't lie.

There are certain things you can't easily quantify (influence, organisational ability and leadership on the pitch for instance) but stats like the ones presented are a pretty good measure of what's going on.
Yes you can make them whatever you wish, simple as that.
Woody1989

Post by Woody1989 »

old hooker wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:23 am
Woody1989 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:05 pm

Yes you can make them whatever you wish, simple as that.
*sigh* I'd argue but it seems you're too pig-headed to be persuaded.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

old hooker wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:21 am
Proves nothing.
Stats are vitally important. The final score is a statistic. The league table is a statistic. They prove everything.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

old hooker wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:21 am
Proves nothing.
Seems to be the way these days. Evidence - what's that?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐