Recruitment/Retention Drive For 2021

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Re: Recruitment/Retention Drive For 2021

Post by ancientnloyal »

The thing is with French... he had his chances in the NRL and why didn’t anyone pick him up? Scoring 3 against Catalans isn’t the same as scoring 3 against Souths... NRL looking to him? In the future you could argue someone will get to be a squad player but not a first team wingman/fullback.

I may be wrong but Aus has soo much talent those who are bottom can with the GF a few years later... like the NFL... same can’t be said with our Super League

Hope we keep Gildart and build a team around Smithies
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

You could argue that Ian Lenagan has gambled in getting these top players in the hope of more bums on seats (and profits)... if we lose Gildart and we get to 2021 I doubt Hank and Bibby will be first choice. Hankisnon being dual reg says it
all.

My worry are our forward pack. Flower and Clubb, our stalwarts, will need to be replaced. Navarette and Bullock... more Bullock... would be the “new” Clubb/flower to accompany Burgess. Partington and Byrne haven’t disappointed have they.

The clincher though, is Morgan Smithies.

Build a team around this kid at all costs.

Hanley... Bell... Edwards... Farrell... oloughlin... we’ve not had many captains in MY time who is the next? 2019 has thrown smithies into the ring. A long-standing captain... we have had 2 in 20 years... 2! That’s how it should be. The next 10 years should be a Wigan kid
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Sam Powell may be the next Wigan captain 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
moto748

Post by moto748 »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:07 pm Sam Powell may be the next Wigan captain 😊
I heard the bookies had stopped taking bets.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

moto748 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:43 am
josie andrews wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:07 pm Sam Powell may be the next Wigan captain 😊
I heard the bookies had stopped taking bets.
?? Don’t understand your response!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Josie, I think he means Sam Powell is the massive favourite to be captain that the bookies aren't taking any bets on him being the next captain. Not that they were taking bets in the first place, just a figure of speech.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:10 am Josie, I think he means Sam Powell is the massive favourite to be captain that the bookies aren't taking any bets on him being the next captain. Not that they were taking bets in the first place, just a figure of speech.
Ah, right. Sorry I appeared to be a bit thick there 😂😂