Sam Powell injury fears after Wigan Warriors' play-offs win

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Firestarter

Re: Sam Powell injury fears after Wigan Warriors' play-offs win

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:22 pm
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:13 pm
josie andrews wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:02 pm

But he’s not a hooker & can’t provide the defence we need there!
It’s not just defence, it’s about distribution, vision and good decision making. Hooker is arguably the most important position in modern day rugby league. Horses for courses for me, it should be either Tommy or Amir. We made a mistake by not reinforcing the No, 9 position this season.
Tommy to 9 100%.

Have Lockers or Sammut in the halves.

Amir on the bench to cover Tommy if and when he needs a rest.

One of French / Burgess / Marshall to be dropped to make way.
Im with nathan as sammut is supposedly 2 weeks off full fitness...... lockers does seem the obvious choice as it might be too big a step for young smith
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:19 pm
Southern Softy wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:57 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:36 pm

Have you just suggested playing French in a position he has never played before, against the best team in the league, in the most important game of our season?
I expect so. The element of surprise. Hooker no longer means what it used to do. It's a position for a tackler(which is why Tommy is good there - but can he do 80 minutes?) or for someone who tackles and makes inroads and breaks the defence line - Roby & Daryl Clark come to mind. We never seem to be able to find someone who can make those yards, which can decide a match.
His career has seen him playing at full-back, stand-off and on the wing. All those positions seem to be filled at the moment, so...…………………..

Of course, we could always play him on the left wing like Morgan Escare.
French isn’t a half back for me,he’s a winger or fullback,we have in my opinion the best full back in super league in Zak so the question now has to be asked,given the amount of wingers the club has why was he signed?

He’s fast for sure but but so is Marshall and when Budgie remembers how fast he is,he can sprint too,he won’t go as hooker,that’ll be Shorrocks or Tommy.
I think Marshy has lost pace but it may be due to the injury he got earlier this season.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:30 pm
I think Marshy has lost pace but it may be due to the injury he got earlier this season.
He’s still bloody fast though 😂
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Faster than Burgess, maybe (although little blokes always look faster than big ones), but doesn't seem as quick as last season to me.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Southern Softy wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:57 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:36 pm
Southern Softy wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:00 pm Whatever we do, we must use French's blistering pace. It could make the difference. Might be worth having him at No 9 to make yards down the middle at the PTB.
Have you just suggested playing French in a position he has never played before, against the best team in the league, in the most important game of our season?
I expect so. The element of surprise. Hooker no longer means what it used to do. It's a position for a tackler(which is why Tommy is good there - but can he do 80 minutes?) or for someone who tackles and makes inroads and breaks the defence line - Roby & Daryl Clark come to mind. We never seem to be able to find someone who can make those yards, which can decide a match.
His career has seen him playing at full-back, stand-off and on the wing. All those positions seem to be filled at the moment, so...…………………..

Of course, we could always play him on the left wing like Morgan Escare.
Categorically will not happen.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
shaunedwardsfanclub

josie andrews wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:52 pm
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:30 pm
He’s still bloody fast though 😂
He didn't look as fast at Wakefield he nearly got caught (was it by Tyler Randell?)
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:12 pm
Southern Softy wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:01 pm
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:13 pm

It’s not just defence, it’s about distribution, vision and good decision making. Hooker is arguably the most important position in modern day rugby league. Horses for courses for me, it should be either Tommy or Amir. We made a mistake by not reinforcing the No, 9 position this season.
Which would seem to suggest that SOL would be suited for the position, which wouldn't be right.
No, we need someone that can pass from the floor with speed and accuracy.
Which certainly wouldn't be Sam Powell. He has lots of qualities but not those.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Southern Softy wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:22 am

Which would seem to suggest that SOL would be suited for the position, which wouldn't be right.
Of course he can!
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Southern Softy wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:22 am

You basically want to play french at 9 for the occasional opportunity to use his pace and scoot to try and catch the defence offside and make a break / half break.

You are ignoring the defensive requirements of this position as we haven't seen anything from French that he is capable.

You are ignoring the passing requirements of this position since French has never played there before.

You are ignoring the job a hooker has in directing the team across the pitch, dictating play, attacking kicks at times, link ups with the forward.

I hate to say it, but suggesting French plays hooker against St Helens shows a complete lack of understanding and appreciation of rugby league and the requirements. I wouldn't play him hooker against London!
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Bad analogy, we've already lost to London :shock: