Sam Powell injury fears after Wigan Warriors' play-offs win

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Southern Softy

Re: Sam Powell injury fears after Wigan Warriors' play-offs win

Post by Southern Softy »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:37 am
Southern Softy wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:22 am
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:12 pm

No, we need someone that can pass from the floor with speed and accuracy.
Which certainly wouldn't be Sam Powell. He has lots of qualities but not those.
You basically want to play french at 9 for the occasional opportunity to use his pace and scoot to try and catch the defence offside and make a break / half break.

You are ignoring the defensive requirements of this position as we haven't seen anything from French that he is capable.

You are ignoring the passing requirements of this position since French has never played there before.

You are ignoring the job a hooker has in directing the team across the pitch, dictating play, attacking kicks at times, link ups with the forward.

I hate to say it, but suggesting French plays hooker against St Helens shows a complete lack of understanding and appreciation of rugby league and the requirements. I wouldn't play him hooker against London!
Fair enough.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Southern Softy wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:01 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:37 am
Southern Softy wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:22 am

Which certainly wouldn't be Sam Powell. He has lots of qualities but not those.
You basically want to play french at 9 for the occasional opportunity to use his pace and scoot to try and catch the defence offside and make a break / half break.

You are ignoring the defensive requirements of this position as we haven't seen anything from French that he is capable.

You are ignoring the passing requirements of this position since French has never played there before.

You are ignoring the job a hooker has in directing the team across the pitch, dictating play, attacking kicks at times, link ups with the forward.

I hate to say it, but suggesting French plays hooker against St Helens shows a complete lack of understanding and appreciation of rugby league and the requirements. I wouldn't play him hooker against London!
Fair enough.
That being said, French coming in to scoot at a tiring defence can be done from the Wing. The starting hookers are just around the POTB the whole game and have more opportunity to pick and choose when they are going to do it and spot the potential gap.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

It looks like he might be fit after all. With Clubb avoiding a ban, we are in better shape than I feared. I would be pleased to see Sarg back as he gives us some punch when running the ball out.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:39 pm It looks like he might be fit after all. With Clubb avoiding a ban, we are in better shape than I feared. I would be pleased to see Sarg back as he gives us some punch when running the ball out.
Sarge is out. It will be interesting to see who makes the 17 if Powell is fit.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:49 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:39 pm It looks like he might be fit after all. With Clubb avoiding a ban, we are in better shape than I feared. I would be pleased to see Sarg back as he gives us some punch when running the ball out.
Sarge is out. It will be interesting to see who makes the 17 if Powell is fit.
I just can’t see how Powell is fit given the pain he was in, inability to return and suggestion he he fractured it.

That being said, it would make no sense including him in the 19 unless he had the chance of being fit.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

I'm beginning to wonder if Lam is keeping his powder dry?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield