19-man squad vs St Helens

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jackthelad

Re: 19-man squad vs St Helens

Post by jackthelad »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:07 am
fozzieskem wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:32 am I’ve never rated Navarette,I think I said as much when he went back to France,that he’s still here is down to the clubs strange policy regarding prop forwards,sorry he simply isn’t good enough.

Clubb shouldn’t have been given a new deal again very odd bit of business that.

As for Flower,the beat of them but he’s getting to the point of being injury prone

And I think Sarginson is going to be missed badly next season,only when he doesn’t play is he missed but again definitely slipped into the injury prone category I suppose
Sarge, injury prone or not, is still far better than Hanky. I am willing to bet that he would have made more yards than the whole of our pack tonight.
You are joking Sarge is a great bloke but would not have made yards tonight Neither did Gilly another international?

Hank hasn't played for 5 weeks up to last week #manmanagrment
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:34 pm
old hooker wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:11 pm Forwards keep getting criticised for this display and rightly so, but once again in a big game Williams was shite, Lomax showed class.Roll on next season and Hastings.
Now you are talking daft. Swop those two players round and Saints win just as easily. Our forwards were totally dominated, I can’t think of one who had a decent game. We are slow and Clubb, Flower and Lockers look like they have either done a season too many or they are injured. What really worries me is that we have not learned anything from playing Saints this season. Even if we had played at our best we wouldn’t have been good enough. That was a thrashing.
I agree, our forwards were totally dominated and we got a good hiding, but even when that happens top players still show some touches of class but nothing from Williams.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Not entirely an unsurprising result, but the manner in which we lost was shocking. The gulf in class on display tonight was immense. If you don't counter this with enthusiasm and teamwork then you get a good hiding.

I think we will beat Salford, but it will be a hard physical battle.

I'm not sure I fancy playing a St Helens team, rested, and confident after last night.

If we do beat Salford and get to the GF, then we need a complete turnaround in attitude to even be in with a marginal chance.

I remember when Wigan vs St Helens used to be a Derby.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I think that is probably a slightly harsh reflection on where we are just now, but next year Byrne, Partington and Smithies (and Havard if he stays) will be a year older, with much more experience. Burgess and Clark will make a huge difference. As for the existing props, I think Navarette is rubbish, but assume he is cheap, I would have let Flower go years ago, but he wouldn’t be hopeless as a 6th prop behind Burgess, Bullock, Partington, Byrne and Clark. If SOL believes he can contribute, and we can afford him without having to let the rest go, I would keep him.

I used to think Clubb was decent, but simply can’t see that we need him now.

French will only get better and better, Bibby looks handy and Hastings is in a different class to Williams, so I think we can travel into 2020 with confidence,
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

jackthelad wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:40 am
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:07 am
fozzieskem wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:32 am I’ve never rated Navarette,I think I said as much when he went back to France,that he’s still here is down to the clubs strange policy regarding prop forwards,sorry he simply isn’t good enough.

Clubb shouldn’t have been given a new deal again very odd bit of business that.

As for Flower,the beat of them but he’s getting to the point of being injury prone

And I think Sarginson is going to be missed badly next season,only when he doesn’t play is he missed but again definitely slipped into the injury prone category I suppose
Sarge, injury prone or not, is still far better than Hanky. I am willing to bet that he would have made more yards than the whole of our pack tonight.
You are joking Sarge is a great bloke but would not have made yards tonight Neither did Gilly another international?

Hank hasn't played for 5 weeks up to last week #manmanagrment
He makes hard yards every game our backs are carrying the forwards and have done for some time. When the going gets tough Sarge is the first to put his hand up. Hank is slow and is not the type of player Wigan need. Do I think the result would have been different if Sarge had played? No. Our forwards are garbage. But there is a reason that Lam and Waney preferred Sarge to Hank.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

old hooker wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:59 am
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:34 pm
old hooker wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:11 pm Forwards keep getting criticised for this display and rightly so, but once again in a big game Williams was shite, Lomax showed class.Roll on next season and Hastings.
Now you are talking daft. Swop those two players round and Saints win just as easily. Our forwards were totally dominated, I can’t think of one who had a decent game. We are slow and Clubb, Flower and Lockers look like they have either done a season too many or they are injured. What really worries me is that we have not learned anything from playing Saints this season. Even if we had played at our best we wouldn’t have been good enough. That was a thrashing.
I agree, our forwards were totally dominated and we got a good hiding, but even when that happens top players still show some touches of class but nothing from Williams.
From where I was sat last night I saw very few good touches from any of our players. A schoolboy pack could have done better.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:56 am I think that is probably a slightly harsh reflection on where we are just now, but next year Byrne, Partington and Smithies (and Havard if he stays) will be a year older, with much more experience. Burgess and Clark will make a huge difference. As for the existing props, I think Navarette is rubbish, but assume he is cheap, I would have let Flower go years ago, but he wouldn’t be hopeless as a 6th prop behind Burgess, Bullock, Partington, Byrne and Clark. If SOL believes he can contribute, and we can afford him without having to let the rest go, I would keep him.

I used to think Clubb was decent, but simply can’t see that we need him now.

French will only get better and better, Bibby looks handy and Hastings is in a different class to Williams, so I think we can travel into 2020 with confidence,
We need better forwards we shouldn’t have to rely on young lads. In my view we need at least two more grafting props and a back row forward. SOL, Clubb and Benny are taking a fair chunk of our salary cap.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

If we play that game next year, we could have Burgess and Bullock for Clubb and Flower. Partington and Byrne will not rest until they can go toe to toe at that level and Smithies will be even better. It shows where we are just now, but the changes we are making will help us bridge that gap.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Not sure where my long post went (probably for the best) but:
Marshall and Burgess were excellent under the high ball and the 2 tries were good and that's about it.
I know we had a beaten pack but Powell and Tommy just didn't turn up. Bear in mind that even with an influx of new players, we will still have Powell, Tommy and Isa in the same positions next season and the same coach, so how will things change?
We looked like earlier in the season - under-prepared and uncoached.
At least Flower can tackle properly - the other props didn't manage that. 3-man tackles saw 2 on the wrong side and out of the game - no wonder Saints ran straight down the middle. Good job Roby is past his best or it would have been even worse.
And it made no difference to the result but please can we get younger, competent touch judges who keep up with play, can see forward passes and make decisions. The 2 last night were hopeless.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Tommys kicking is terrible...... that's why we need anotger half next season imo...... hes still solid but 10-20 yard kicks are just not good enough in the big games...... it was the same v salford
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE