Men against boys

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Men against boys

Post by nathan_rugby »

Pains me to say it but last night was meh against boys, especially in the forwards.

Saints forwards ran that game and were so much better in that department. They ran hard, ran at gaps, hit the ball at pace and often caught the ball on the gain line.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
southportcdm

Re: Men against boys

Post by southportcdm »

This has been coming all season, at their best, saints are far superior to us in most departments. The three young lads have done well so far but we can't expect miracles from them. Let's be honest, if we'd had a full set of capable and experienced forwards available they wouldn't have played many games this season. Clubby, Lockers and Flower looked like old men and will all be playing again next season. The new signings will make us stronger and if the youngsters progress (not a given) we'll be closer to saints next season. However, unless they go backwards, they'll still be stronger than us. Saints are clearly the best team this season and the fact that everybody else is at a similar level has disguised the fact that the overall standard has been poor.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

It’s been often talked about that Clubb doesn’t seem mobile anymore, able to make long yards or play long minutes. Very worrying he got a 2 year extension!!!

Lockers, we all know about his injuries but he normally hits the ground running when he’s back and puts in a performance. From memory he hasn’t done that too often towards the back end of the season.

Flower has gone under the radar for a while now. His injury record is very bad and has been for around 5 years now. He is another who just doesn’t look like the player he used to be.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

The only possible ray of light (and yes I am grasping at straws here), is that Lam decided that the game was gone at half time and dialled down the intensity after.

Can't think of many other reasons why the team turned up for a game of touch rugby after that.
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

First half wasn’t much better. Defensively we stood and waited for them which allowed for Thompson and co to run as hard as they did.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Wintergreen wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:41 am The only possible ray of light (and yes I am grasping at straws here), is that Lam decided that the game was gone at half time and dialled down the intensity after.

Can't think of many other reasons why the team turned up for a game of touch rugby after that.
I thought the same
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
pedro

Post by pedro »

ManxWarrior wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:47 am First half wasn’t much better. Defensively we stood and waited for them which allowed for Thompson and co to run as hard as they did.
this^^ we allowed them to play and run over us, any of the top teams would have steamrolled us tonight, we look like rabbits in the headlights and under prepared
cdav

Post by cdav »

Saints hammered Warrington 2 weeks before Wembley ,and we all know what happened there .......All is not lost
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wintergreen wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:41 am The only possible ray of light (and yes I am grasping at straws here), is that Lam decided that the game was gone at half time and dialled down the intensity after.

We said the same after they strolled in for their first try after half time
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:37 am It’s been often talked about that Clubb doesn’t seem mobile anymore, able to make long yards or play long minutes. Very worrying he got a 2 year extension!!!

Lockers, we all know about his injuries but he normally hits the ground running when he’s back and puts in a performance. From memory he hasn’t done that too often towards the back end of the season.

Flower has gone under the radar for a while now. His injury record is very bad and has been for around 5 years now. He is another who just doesn’t look like the player he used to be.
You need to be ruthless in sport and our management should have made the tough calls and gradually phased the three out and replaced them with hungry, fit and skilful players. As Graham Lowe used to say, ‘when you are cruising you are losing’. Saints continue to recruit well and whilst I believe that our recruitment for next season is good, we still have some catching up to do.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards