Hanley & Rushton in England squad

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Hanley & Rushton in England squad

Post by josie andrews »

Under-19s stars Umyla Hanley and Harry Rushton have both been named in England’s Rugby League Academy squad to face Wales.

Two youngsters both played in Wigan Warriors’ Under-19s Grand Final win over St Helens two weeks ago.

England to play Wales in Llanelli on Saturday 19th October.

Wigan Warriors’ Umyla Hanley and Harry Rushton have both been named in England’s Rugby League Academy squad to face Wales in Llanelli later this month.

Hanley and Rushton, who both played in Wigan’s Under-19s Grand Final triumph two weeks ago, have been selected in the 22-man squad to play Wales on Saturday 19th October.

Grand Final runners up St Helens have three representatives with Lewis Baxter, Lewis Dodd and Jamie Pye all named. Leeds Rhinos and Warrington Wolves each provide five players.

Dave Elliott, the RFL’s National Programmes Manager, said: “Like the Academy Origin series in mid-season, internationals are a key part of our preparation for touring Australia next year and we’re very grateful to Wales for hosting this fixture.

“Many of the players already have international experience, while others are new to the performance squad environment. The pre-match preparation and the game itself will be a good experience for all of them.”

The full squad is as follows:

Danny Atley (Castleford Tigers), Lewis Baxter (St Helens), Joe Burton (Leeds Rhinos), Lewis Dodd (St Helens), Alex Donaghy (Newcastle Thunder), Jacob Dugdale (Widnes Vikings), Jacob Gannon (Warrington Wolves), Corey Hall (Leeds Rhinos), Umyla Hanley (Wigan Warriors), Ellis Longstaff (Warrinton Wolves), Aidan McGowan (Huddersfield Giants), Isaac Nokes (Newcastle Thunder), Jamie Pye (St Helens), George Roby (Warrington Wolves), Rian Rowley (Leeds Rhinos), Harry Rushton (Wigan Warriors), Harry Shackleton (Bradford Bulls), Iwan Stephens (Leeds Rhinos), Robson Stevens (Huddersfield Giants), Josh Thewlis (Warrington Wolves), Liam Tindall (Leeds Rhinos), Conor Wrench (Warrington Wolves).

Prior to the game at West Wales Raiders’ Stebonheath Park, the squad will train with their England Knights colleagues at Weetwood Hall in Leeds.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... zhISxT1.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Hanley & Rushton in England squad

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Does anyone know about Corey Hall signing for Leeds?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Hearing rumours that two more "fringe" players are on their way to Leeds for next season
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
doc

Post by doc »

I wondered why Hall missed out on the last few U19s games. Guess we now know. Still surprising how few of our players are in the squad considering we only lost one match all season.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

doc wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:01 pm I wondered why Hall missed out on the last few U19s games. Guess we now know. Still surprising how few of our players are in the squad considering we only lost one match all season.
Crazy isn’t it! Warrington have more young players in the squad!!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
shaunedwardsfanclub

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:10 pm Hearing rumours that two more "fringe" players are on their way to Leeds for next season
Davies and Greenwood?
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:22 pm
doc wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:01 pm I wondered why Hall missed out on the last few U19s games. Guess we now know. Still surprising how few of our players are in the squad considering we only lost one match all season.
Not really.
This is in preparation for next years U18 academy tour to Australia, so all the players selected ere 1st year academy this year.
Players will be added in 2020 from next year intake (this years scholarship) so I would expect the likes of Alex Sutton, Joe Charnock and Matthew Nicholson to be under consideration if they perform well enough.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

No straw damn us wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:10 am
josie andrews wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:22 pm
Not really.
This is in preparation for next years U18 academy tour to Australia, so all the players selected ere 1st year academy this year.
Players will be added in 2020 from next year intake (this years scholarship) so I would expect the likes of Alex Sutton, Joe Charnock and Matthew Nicholson to be under consideration if they perform well enough.
Thank you for the clarification Brian 😊