Next season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pearsy

Next season

Post by pearsy »

What should our starting 13 be next season with what we have seen the last couple of weeks?
Wintergreen

Re: Next season

Post by Wintergreen »

Drop everyone bar about 4 or 5.

Useless.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

This is going to be a long off season
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Woody1989

Post by Woody1989 »

We need more signings, Hastings and Burgess will go some way to bridging the gap to Saints but there's only so much they can do when there are so many average players left in this squad.

J.Burgess has offered nothing recently and should not have been offered a new deal when we have so many wingers at the club.

Clubb offers next to nothing and shouldn't have been offered a new deal.

Let's hope we can offload the likes of Escare and Sammutt and free up some cap space.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I’ll not change my tune now,but I haven’t been won over by Lam at all,he has my support for now but he looks out of his depth not knowing his best team.

As for that performance it’s foundations were sown last week,utterly clueless in attack and defence.

Shame not more there to witness it.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:17 pm I’ll not change my tune now,but I haven’t been won over by Lam at all,he has my support for now but he looks out of his depth not knowing his best team.

As for that performance it’s foundations were sown last week,utterly clueless in attack and defence.

Shame not more there to witness it.
You are being too kind I'm afraid. We need to swap Lam for Ian Watson if we want a coach who can organise and motivate a side, the last 4 games have shown up Lams inability to change a downward plunge, like all coaches who are unsure of their own ability he is too frightened to bite the bullet as evidenced by his starting SOL the last two weeks in place of Smithies.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Is it me or just a coincidence when SOL and Flower came back from injury the side has gone backwards and disjointed. SOL needs to retire hes been a good servant to the club don't think Lam knows how to pick a team what is he going to do with French hes another Escare situation but much faster than Escare.We have Davies and Manfredi coming back from injury where can we play French it shows that he is not a standoff .
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

@Woody1989......Couldn't agree more, glad somebody else can see how poor both Burgess and Clubb are!!!!

SOL has been the 'ultimate warrior' but 2019 really shows that enough is enough!

I dont think the squad requires major changes but we need (URGENTLY) a natural 7 with flair and game management which is thankfully what we are getting! Personally I would have included Sammut tonight!
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:36 pm @Woody1989......Couldn't agree more, glad somebody else can see how poor both Burgess and Clubb are!!!!

SOL has been the 'ultimate warrior' but 2019 really shows that enough is enough!

I dont think the squad requires major changes but we need (URGENTLY) a natural 7 with flair and game management which is thankfully what we are getting! Personally I would have included Sammut tonight!
Sammut for some reason does not figure in Lams plans I think he would go well with Hastings .When Sammutt has played for us he brought something else in our game Castleford before he got injured he was on fire.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

pearsy wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:46 pm What should our starting 13 be next season with what we have seen the last couple of weeks?
It's easier to say who should not be in the team and start form there.

The ones on the definitely not to play again list are for me (in no particular order)

Lockers, Clubb, Flower, Navarete and Isa.

You could probably add Tommy to that list given he will be another year older.

Players I'd look to replace given the chance, Powell and Hankinson. Both try hard but don't have the quality required for the positions they playing. Powell has absolutely no craft or guile as a hooker. Yes he's improved a bit this season but not being quite as poor doesn't make you good enough. Salford's hooker played him off the park.

Then we get to the 3/4's. We have on the books who are all first team players: Escare, French, Bibby, Gildart, Marshall, Budgie and Manfred and of course Hankinson mentioned above.

French looks exceedingly dangerous with the ball but he has done nothing to suggest he's anything but a winger so we need to bite the bullet and get rid of at least two of that lot (obviously not Gildart).

So where does that leave us:

1. Hardaker
2. Marshall
3. Bibby (convinced he's been recruited as a centre)
4. Gildart
5. French
6. ?
7. Hastings
8. Burgess
9 ?
10. Clarke
11. Faz
12. Greenwood
13. Smithies

Subs: Bulluck
Partington
?
?

What will we get as opposed to that? Pretty much the same as tonight especially if Lockers carries on.

Lam will never drop him. Tommy will partner Hastings. He won't go with just two wingers. Clubb is on a two year deal so he will play. Depressing!

All that said, you could solve all the aged player problems but if Lam can't fathom how to deal with Saints expect other teams to copy them and beat us regardless who is in the team.