Poor attendance

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
outback wiganer

Re: Poor attendance

Post by outback wiganer »

Unfortunately I couldn't make it to the game last night due to shift work. I think fans are finding it tougher every year to fork out an extra 20 or 40 pounds for playoff games on top of the season ticket price. That, I suppose what we have to expect when we support a top 4 club. At the end of the day, I think we did extremely well to get where we did in the end, considering the start we had. As usual when we are in the middle of an unbeaten run of games, this site is oh so quiet, yet as soon as we lose a couple, the coach, players, chairman and backroom staff are all a waste of time. I for one would like to congratulate the team and wish the departing players, good luck with their future clubs and lets all look forward to next season.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

outback wiganer wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:00 pm Unfortunately I couldn't make it to the game last night due to shift work. I think fans are finding it tougher every year to fork out an extra 20 or 40 pounds for playoff games on top of the season ticket price. That, I suppose what we have to expect when we support a top 4 club. At the end of the day, I think we did extremely well to get where we did in the end, considering the start we had. As usual when we are in the middle of an unbeaten run of games, this site is oh so quiet, yet as soon as we lose a couple, the coach, players, chairman and backroom staff are all a waste of time. I for one would like to congratulate the team and wish the departing players, good luck with their future clubs and lets all look forward to next season.
Well said from the start we had to finishing second I think we did really well. So we did not make the GF many people on here said we would be lucky to get 6th place. Lams team selection has me baffled at times there was no place for Escare or Sammut, Bevan French comes along and bench starts don't get me wrong I think French is a revelation .
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

outback wiganer wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:00 pm Unfortunately I couldn't make it to the game last night due to shift work. I think fans are finding it tougher every year to fork out an extra 20 or 40 pounds for playoff games on top of the season ticket price. That, I suppose what we have to expect when we support a top 4 club. At the end of the day, I think we did extremely well to get where we did in the end, considering the start we had. As usual when we are in the middle of an unbeaten run of games, this site is oh so quiet, yet as soon as we lose a couple, the coach, players, chairman and backroom staff are all a waste of time. I for one would like to congratulate the team and wish the departing players, good luck with their future clubs and lets all look forward to next season.
Couldn't agree more! I went last night and sat in the South Stand and rather than the poor attendance from Wigan, I was more amazed by the mass number of Salford fans. I wont rant on but I agree with your points, some fans will find it difficult to pay out more money and personally I was slightly aggrieved (excluding paying for Stains away). Excellent achievement to finish 2nd overall (considering the whole season). Hopefully our new players will help increase season ticket sales for 2020 and beyond.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

People saying we finished second is good due to the shit start is ridiculous. The shit start was an issue in itself. There was no reason to expect that. The core of the team was the same as was crowned champions a few months before.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

You think we did well? we have won nothing, did not get to the Challenge cup final and are not in in the GF, god help us when we have a bad season
Southport steve

Post by Southport steve »

It’s all very well saying we finished second so the season can’t have been all bad BUT we had 10 big games this season

World club Challenge

Nou Camp

Anfield V Wire

Wire away in the challenge cup

2 Semi finals to reach old trafford

4 derby games v saints one of which was to reach old Trafford.

All the above were one off must win games in the category of big matches.
And we lost them all !!!
It’s no wonder the crowds were not exactly rushing to get to another big game !
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Southport steve wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:32 pm It’s all very well saying we finished second so the season can’t have been all bad BUT we had 10 big games this season

World club Challenge

Nou Camp

Anfield V Wire

Wire away in the challenge cup

2 Semi finals to reach old trafford

4 derby games v saints one of which was to reach old Trafford.

All the above were one off must win games in the category of big matches.
And we lost them all !!!
It’s no wonder the crowds were not exactly rushing to get to another big game !
But when you actually analyse these '10 big games' it shows AGAIN why 2nd is an achievement!

Sydney Roosters would have beaten ANY SL team in the World Club Challenge, they are nothing like Cronulla of 2017! Totally different game in the NRL! And AGAIN Wigan as a club are different from 2017, 2018!

The only disappointment form these game (REALISTICALLY) is Catalans and Salford! Warrington won the challenge cup beating Stains and Hull FC en route......does that make Hull and Stains poor? Losing to Wire at Anfield sparked a change in from and results! 4 derby games against a Stains team who 'threw' two games against London (both away) and lost narrowly to Cats away! Stains haven't finished 1st through luck, they have ripped up this season! They have also easily defeated Wigan in 3/4 games.

How can we be so poor or had a bad season under Lam if the ONLY team to finish above us is the team who has destroyed SL this season!
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

One thing that would help us would be if they had a system to take the money for play off games and issued tickets automatically, unless you say otherwise. Like the auto renew system. It was such a pain getting tickets for the first Salford game, especially sitting through what felt like hours of Latics crap on the phone before getting through. We have shown that we will turn up in huge numbers when there is an event. I can’t speak for others, but, while we got tickets and turned up, I felt certain our goose was cooked after the abject performance at Saints. Maybe many others did, or were looking to spread their money so they could go if we did get to OT.

I am not sure whether it’s relevant here, but I have some sympathy for the rubbish start given the uncertainty and change in coach (who was an interim coach at the outset). I agree that we have managed to lose pretty much every big game (though the win over Salford in the first week of the play offs counts as big in my book) this year. Given that we have brilliant young players coming through who will be much better prepared next year, and the most exciting recruitment drive in many years, there will be no excuses next year.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

We have to be careful here when we start to argue about fan loyalty. Some will argue that we should be loyal no matter what whilst others will argue that a club earns fan loyalty over many years. Don't forget, not all of us come from Wigan and we don't have that 'loyalty' that comes from supporting your hometown. I'm proud to be a Wigan Warriors fan and applaud and support anyone else who claims to be one. In today's modern world fans have many things that may make them consider if they should attend a match or not. Some will say that loyal fans should never miss a game whilst others will claim that extreme fan loyalty is just for those who don't have any other call on their time or anything else interesting in their life. We're all fans and all our opinions count. I attend as many games as I can and have renewed my season ticket again but I found last season hard work at times and don't mind admitting it. We've not played entertaining rugby for a while and, when the aussies come calling, we've become a selling club. I don't associate the team that I love with either of those things and it takes some getting used to. The 'straw that breaks the camel's back' hasn't come for me yet and will differ for individuals but, as Wigan fans, we should be worried when others don't want to attend. There's no point moaning at people for not attending, the club has to do something about it.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

southportcdm wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:22 pm We have to be careful here when we start to argue about fan loyalty. Some will argue that we should be loyal no matter what whilst others will argue that a club earns fan loyalty over many years. Don't forget, not all of us come from Wigan and we don't have that 'loyalty' that comes from supporting your hometown. I'm proud to be a Wigan Warriors fan and applaud and support anyone else who claims to be one. In today's modern world fans have many things that may make them consider if they should attend a match or not. Some will say that loyal fans should never miss a game whilst others will claim that extreme fan loyalty is just for those who don't have any other call on their time or anything else interesting in their life. We're all fans and all our opinions count. I attend as many games as I can and have renewed my season ticket again but I found last season hard work at times and don't mind admitting it. We've not played entertaining rugby for a while and, when the aussies come calling, we've become a selling club. I don't associate the team that I love with either of those things and it takes some getting used to. The 'straw that breaks the camel's back' hasn't come for me yet and will differ for individuals but, as Wigan fans, we should be worried when others don't want to attend. There's no point moaning at
people for not attending, the club has to do something about it.
An excellent post.