Hello

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Low Down Yankee Liar

Hello

Post by Low Down Yankee Liar »

It is with great sadness that my first post here is in the current circumstance we find ourselves in but i felt i had to chip in.

I would like to say that i am very upset to see so many fans on the back of the Wigan club and individual players.

Its very unfair on Ian Lenagan for fans to react like this. He has poured his heart and soul along with a lot of his own money into bringing us years of success. How must he feel hearing all this doom and gloom?

Players like Sam Powell and Tony Clubb do not become bad overnight and will be back firing on all cylinders next year.

Yes we all would of liked to of gone to the grand final but it wasnt to be this year.

Sometimes the stars just dont align for you and this year, injuries meant they didnt align for us.

Next year is a whole new ball game and we have some very exciting new players to look forward to. Bevan French looks unplayable and hes not even settled in yet. Burgess will add some real power in to the front row and Jackson Hastings is joining us just as he comes towards his peak years.

We should all be saving up now to buy season tickets for next year as a way of showing our support for the players who will be fighting to get us back to Old Trafford next year.

At the end of the day, we did very well to finish second considering we had an unsual slow start to the year.

Next year i predict we will finish top and be involved in both the Challenge Cup and Grand Final.
josie andrews

Re: Hello

Post by josie andrews »

Hello, welcome & good first post. 😊🏉🍒⚪️
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
saint

Post by saint »

Ok Saints fan here , and my first post . I do read this forum with interest as unlike most other forums the discussion on here is on the whole quite honest and generally good .

The result last week and last night has certainly hurt you I'm sure but i do think that on the whole , your season has finished with some promise. Finishing second after a shocking start is a fair achievement .

I do feel even with the announced new signings that you will continue to build next year . I feel your recent emphasis on wingers rather than forwards has cost you. One thing is certain ,and the positives that can be taken from the last two games is that your areas for recruitment has been exposed in the brightest lights. The positive aspect being that can be changed.

Enjoy the final next week and look forward to the derby battles next year. I certainly am already .
Low Down Yankee Liar

josie andrews wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:57 pm Hello, welcome & good first post. 😊🏉🍒⚪️
Thank you Josie. I have been left feeling very sad at the way posters on this board and the other board have reacted.

Last two weeks were a combination of injuries and player burn out.

The team worked so hard to get second spot and in the end that hard work took its toll and we just couldnt go up a gear when we needed to.

Thats sport for you, you win some you lose some and we've had our fair share of winning over the last 8/9 years.
Low Down Yankee Liar

saint wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:20 pm Ok Saints fan here , and my first post . I do read this forum with interest as unlike most other forums the discussion on here is on the whole quite honest and generally good .

The result last week and last night has certainly hurt you I'm sure but i do think that on the whole , your season has finished with some promise. Finishing second after a shocking start is a fair achievement .

I do feel even with the announced new signings that you will continue to build next year . I feel your recent emphasis on wingers rather than forwards has cost you. One thing is certain ,and the positives that can be taken from the last two games is that your areas for recruitment has been exposed in the brightest lights. The positive aspect being that can be changed.

Enjoy the final next week and look forward to the derby battles next year. I certainly am already .
Hello saint.

Yes we did better than anybody expected us to do at the halfway mark. No prizes for finishing second but at least we know we are not a million miles off as some people are suggesting.

To be honest, i think the result against you last week knocked the stuffing out of us and led to the poor display against Salford.

Its frustrating because we know we are better than what we have served up the past 2 weeks but thats the result of starting the season so slowly and having to put every last ounce of energy into the last half of the season to climb the table. We were shattered by the time we met you and couldnt find the energy or intensity we needed to match you.

Every week has been like a play off game for us whilst you guys have had the luxury of playing without any pressure for the last month or two due to your huge points advantage over everybody.

I can only see you winning next week as i think Salford will run out of steam and you will be fresh and full of energy after only playing one game in the past 3/4 weeks.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The reason fans are having a go is because those in the firing line deserve it. They lap up the praise when things go well so should expect criticism when things go badly.

The non performance v Saints was a repeat of all the other games v them this season.

Fans can also see players like Clubb are past it and Lockers needs to retire so when Clubb gets a two year deal of course there are complaints.

As to the Salford game the excuses being trotted out are ridiculous. They were also down there with us at the bottom on the league early on and so have had to go on a winning streak to qualify for the playoffs. They had to play us away twice and their team which, Hastings apart, was assembled from B&M bargains didn’t look knackered. Whereas our team, that is paid up to the salary cap and has a marquee player looked clueless and like 13 individuals.

I hope IL and Lam aren’t looking for excuses like some of those being trotted out or we won’t improve.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:49 pm The reason fans are having a go is because those in the firing line deserve it. They lap up the praise when things go well so should expect criticism when things go badly.

The non performance v Saints was a repeat of all the other games v them this season.

Fans can also see players like Clubb are past it and Lockers needs to retire so when Clubb gets a two year deal of course there are complaints.

As to the Salford game the excuses being trotted out are ridiculous. They were also down there with us at the bottom on the league early on and so have had to go on a winning streak to qualify for the playoffs. They had to play us away twice and their team which, Hastings apart, was assembled from B&M bargains didn’t look knackered. Whereas our team, that is paid up to the salary cap and has a marquee player looked clueless and like 13 individuals.

I hope IL and Lam aren’t looking for excuses like some of those being trotted out or we won’t improve.
Salford did smart recruitment and didnt build a team for bargin basement.
They also seem to be good at sorting out player issues. How many attempts did we make to fix mossops before letting go? Well salford managed it, they managed to do something our strength and conditioning team couldnt.

Your right around the club management, they shouldn't be looking for excuses something needs fixing and quick be it the team or Lam our attack has been one man acts of brilliance rather than structured plays/attack.

Id love to see an apology from the club about the last to games, the salford one felt worse than the saints one as you'd expected a reaction to the saints defeat.

However it was an achievement to make it from relegation fodder to second place and we earned it! We won tight games we would had lost at the start and with the amount of players out, it has softened the blow a bit.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Low Down Yankee Liar wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:41 pm It is with great sadness that my first post here is in the current circumstance we find ourselves in but i felt i had to chip in.

I would like to say that i am very upset to see so many fans on the back of the Wigan club and individual players.

Its very unfair on Ian Lenagan for fans to react like this. He has poured his heart and soul along with a lot of his own money into bringing us years of success. How must he feel hearing all this doom and gloom?

Players like Sam Powell and Tony Clubb do not become bad overnight and will be back firing on all cylinders next year.

Yes we all would of liked to of gone to the grand final but it wasnt to be this year.

Sometimes the stars just dont align for you and this year, injuries meant they didnt align for us.

Next year is a whole new ball game and we have some very exciting new players to look forward to. Bevan French looks unplayable and hes not even settled in yet. Burgess will add some real power in to the front row and Jackson Hastings is joining us just as he comes towards his peak years.

We should all be saving up now to buy season tickets for next year as a way of showing our support for the players who will be fighting to get us back to Old Trafford next year.

At the end of the day, we did very well to finish second considering we had an unsual slow start to the year.

Next year i predict we will finish top and be involved in both the Challenge Cup and Grand Final.
Look Mr Radlinski I understand you are looking for positivity no matter how small the clutch of straws (to borrow some of your metaphors).

How did the season pan out:-

1. Started the season with the docking points fiasco for breaching the Salary Cap (eventually got back)
2. Player tests positive breaching anti-doping regulations
3. Player gets caught drunk driving and another player is removed from the first team permanently as a result
4. Injuries dig in and we are flirting with the bottom of the table
5. Knocked out early in the Challenge Cup by eventual winners Warrington
6. Another players gets caught drunk driving and leaves with immediate effect.
7. Team starts to find form and play a good standard of rugby that sees confidence grow as we rise up the table
8. Last few games of the season and Wigan recruit an "explosive" winger from Australia that we cannot find a starting place for. Why not recruit a forward I thought after those that had been made "unavailable" for whatever reasons?
9. Secure second spot in the league with the team's making lots of unforced errors and poor play yet winning on the back of some outstanding defence.
10. Wigan manage a win against Salford in their first play-off game despite being poor throughout.
11 Travel to St Helens where the team is embarrassed in its effort to make Old Trafford
12. Last chance to get to Old Trafford. At home against Salford and for 80 minutes the team is outplayed by a side containing no less than four ex-Wigan forwards deemed "not good enough" by Wigan yet totally outplaying the current incumbents

If I am scoring this teams overall performance, rated A to F then I would have to give it (and Lam) a C minus.

That only for the reason that Warrington and Hull capitulated which saw Wigan make second spot in the league, plus some of the players coming through. Smithies proves we do not need to keep hold of Lockers ad infinitum and the over reliance on certain players by walking them straight back into first team selection was a massive mistake (lets hope he's learnt from it) by Adrian Lam
Last edited by wall_of_voodoo on Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Welcome!

Put simply: Wigan has to win. Slevin, Leytham, Miller, Egan, Sullivan, Gee, Boston, Ashton, Hanley, Edwards, Bell, Farrell, Vaealiki, Gang of Four didn’t build this club to be second.

Wigan means winning and it’s the be all and end all. Everything g has to be scrutinised to make it a success. There is no other way. Wigan has to win. That’s the way it is and always should be.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

ancientnloyal wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:52 pm Welcome!

Put simply: Wigan has to win. Slevin, Leytham, Miller, Egan, Sullivan, Gee, Boston, Ashton, Hanley, Edwards, Bell, Farrell, Vaealiki, Gang of Four didn’t build this club to be second.

Wigan means winning and it’s the be all and end all. Everything g has to be scrutinised to make it a success. There is no other way. Wigan has to win. That’s the way it is and always should be.
But Waney gave us winning rugby and not many liked it!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards