Next season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
wall_of_voodoo

Re: Next season

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

EagleEyePie wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:00 am
Barney841 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:52 am Anybody who puts lockers in there team for next season needs there head examining.
Waste of a shirt now. And don’t give me that crap he deserves it as he’s been loyal. Lam has to do the best by the team
He shouldn't put his hand up for GB selection though. He hasn't earned a place in the side this year so selecting him would be wrong. He's England captain, not GB captain so that shouldn't carry any weight.

What he needs is a full off season and to go into 2020 as his final year.
The point about him retiring from international rugby is a very valid point. Will it happen? No!

I can foresee exactly the same scenario at the end of next season. Leulaui/Lockers and add Isa to the list of players the club management will be looking to offer extended deals to because no one in the club has the willingness or balls to make the tough decisions. It is to the likes of Paisley or Kibula who get offered derisory deals that they are practically forced to look elsewhere
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:51 pm The point about him retiring from international rugby is a very valid point. Will it happen? No!

I can foresee exactly the same scenario at the end of next season. Leulaui/Lockers and add Isa to the list of players the club management will be looking to offer extended deals to because no one in the club has the willingness or balls to make the tough decisions. It is to the likes of Paisley or Kibula who get offered derisory deals that they are practically forced to look elsewhere
I do think his stubbornness in that regard is going to leave his career ending on a low note - either through frequent injuries, poor form or just at the end of a disappointing season.

Everyone is free to make their own choices but I though Gareth Ellis retiring from international rugby made sure he could follow up with a great season the following year.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

“?” Is better than Powell
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
mjdodge13

Post by mjdodge13 »

It’s very obvious that Sammut is gone (although I think he would have helped us massively with his kicking game this year) French is a class act and will play 6..........hopefully he goes well. (He would not be here to play on the wing)
We still lack a centre though! I have no idea what Bibby is here to do??

And then it’s just sorting out the pack! Easy! I really don’t understand leaving out greenwood, he is a great attacking threat.

Ps what on earth has happened to Joe Burgess this year? Doesn’t look like he has it in him anymore. No go forward and definitely not a threat. Yet we give him a new contract??????
pedro

Post by pedro »

mjdodge13 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:18 pm It’s very obvious that Sammut is gone (although I think he would have helped us massively with his kicking game this year) French is a class act and will play 6..........hopefully he goes well. (He would not be here to play on the wing)
We still lack a centre though! I have no idea what Bibby is here to do??

And then it’s just sorting out the pack! Easy! I really don’t understand leaving out greenwood, he is a great attacking threat.

Ps what on earth has happened to Joe Burgess this year? Doesn’t look like he has it in him anymore. No go forward and definitely not a threat. Yet we give him a new contract??????
could say the same about Clubb
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

At the risk of banging the same old drum, it doesn't matter how many new players you get in if there are no set play tactics and no overall playing plan to weld them into, You then have to rely on good players being able to make it up on the day and that only works if the opposition don't do their homework. Every other SL team will have watched what Salford and St Helens did to us and prepared accordingly. We have to learn during the off-season and start the new season much better prepared.
doc

Post by doc »

I would say Bibby for Sarge is a step backwards. His stats on Friday were no better than Gilly or Hankinson. Losing Sarge massively impacts our ability to get our of our own half. People may have had a downer on both Gells and Sarge as classical centres but both made big yards out of our own twenty. I think Manfredi and Davies can contribute to this but have my doubts on Marshall and doing the hard yards has never been Budgie's strength. Our pack, bar George Burgess, don't have the size to do it either.

Personally I see Zak going to right centre, French to FB and Tommy/Hastings in the halves. Wings then pick any from four, much as it is now.
Hattster

Post by Hattster »

Maybe the forwards Could take up the role of making the hard yards! You never know it might catch on.
bertina

Post by bertina »

Hattster wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:05 pm Maybe the forwards Could take up the role of making the hard yards! You never know it might catch on.
Now there’s a thought!!! 😂😂😂
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Southern Softy wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:28 am A. Every other SL team will have watched what Salford and St Helens did to us and prepared accordingly. We have to learn during the off-season and start the new season much better prepared.
Neither Salford nor Saints did much more than five drives and kick, really. They just did it much better than us. Champagne rugby just wasn't required to beat Wigan, just good, basic stuff.