Wigan Warriors will have a big pack in 2020, says optimistic Ian Lenagan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors will have a big pack in 2020, says optimistic Ian Lenagan

Post by josie andrews »

Ian Lenagan is confident Wigan's bigger front-row will pack a punch in 2020.

He says the club identified the middle as an area where they wanted a greater physical presence.

Alex Walmsley and Luke Thompson has led the charge for St Helens this year as they topped the Super League table and marched to today's Grand Final.

And with the addition of George Burgess and Mitch Clark, the return to fitness of Joe Bullock and the development of Ethan Havard and Liam Byrne, Wigan will have some towering front-rowers next season.

Club chairman Lenagan said: "What I do like is the fact we will have a big pack in 2020.

"I think Saints showed you need to have some size and the addition of George Burgess and Mitch Clark, as well as Joe Bullock's return and some of the younger players coming through, it will give us more size in the middle."

While Lenagan is naturally disappointed to miss out on today's showcase title decider at Old Trafford, he is hugely optimistic.

Two of their recruits for next season, Salford halfback Jackson Hastings and his team-mate Jake Bibby, will feature at the Theatre of Dreams.

I don’t think I’ve ever got to the end of a season and been as happy with the squad for the following year as I am right now," he said.

“We’ve retained many of our players, we’ve young players coming through and we’ve recruited some exciting players to come in.

"Two of them are in the Grand Final, in Jake Bibby and Jackson Hastings, we’ve got Mitch Clark and George Burgess joining who will add size to our pack, and don’t forget Bevan French as well.

“He only came in for the last few weeks and he’ll be better with a full pre-season with us.

“They will want to win a trophy with us, the young players who have come through, you’d have to say they will be in a better position for the experience they’ve had this year.

So I feel good overall – albeit disappointed with the way we bowed out.”

Wigan recovered from a poor start to finish second in the regular season but successive heavy defeats in the play-offs, to St Helens and Salford, ended their hopes of reaching Old Trafford.

“It’s been an up and down season,” said Lenagan.

“At the beginning we would have been quite pleased to finish second and reach a semi-final and certainly by mid-season we would have been delighted with that.

“In that respect it’s been good, but nobody likes losing in a semi-final especially not playing as poorly as we did.

“But I do think it can be a springboard to leap into next year, because we’ve got a very good squad.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan- ... 1-10046637
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Re: Wigan Warriors will have a big pack in 2020, says optimistic Ian Lenagan

Post by medlocke »

Can we please replace Clubb and Navarette with 2 more capable props
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Clubb will be a back up and probably play in the reserves. Rumours on the Wire fans board that Nav is going there.
I still reckon we need another big prop, it is a brutal position where more than one prop can be out.
Between injuries and suspensions to me we need one more big prop.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:29 am Clubb will be a back up and probably play in the reserves. Rumours on the Wire fans board that Nav is going there.
I still reckon we need another big prop, it is a brutal position where more than one prop can be out.
Between injuries and suspensions to me we need one more big prop.
I think we’ve been saying it all year haven’t we Ted,anyone can see the need for another prop so why can the club?

Yes some size has been added thankfully but as you say an injury or two exposes the young lads again.

Let’s hope there’s another player or two if players do leave to be brought in
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

The article reads as if the chairman has just realised where we've been lacking recently. I'm sure this isn't the case and the squad for next season does look stronger. I'm hoping that a bit more room can still be found on the cap if some of the 'fringe' players decide to go elsewhere.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Hopefully our new bigger pack will actually take more than one drive on out sets next season. If they don't, there's no point in having a bigger pack at all!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

We would definitely have room if they moved SOL and TL upstairs and got rid off Navarette and a couple of others
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

The chairman has probably not been bothered about the pack as Shaun Wane kept winning with the one he had.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Lockers to prop next season 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:48 pm Lockers to prop next season 😊
For a total of 17 minutes in 4 games :evil: