Poor attendance

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
the pieman

Re: Poor attendance

Post by the pieman »

old hooker wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:33 am
southportcdm wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:22 pm We have to be careful here when we start to argue about fan loyalty. Some will argue that we should be loyal no matter what whilst others will argue that a club earns fan loyalty over many years. Don't forget, not all of us come from Wigan and we don't have that 'loyalty' that comes from supporting your hometown. I'm proud to be a Wigan Warriors fan and applaud and support anyone else who claims to be one. In today's modern world fans have many things that may make them consider if they should attend a match or not. Some will say that loyal fans should never miss a game whilst others will claim that extreme fan loyalty is just for those who don't have any other call on their time or anything else interesting in their life. We're all fans and all our opinions count. I attend as many games as I can and have renewed my season ticket again but I found last season hard work at times and don't mind admitting it. We've not played entertaining rugby for a while and, when the aussies come calling, we've become a selling club. I don't associate the team that I love with either of those things and it takes some getting used to. The 'straw that breaks the camel's back' hasn't come for me yet and will differ for individuals but, as Wigan fans, we should be worried when others don't want to attend. There's no point moaning at
people for not attending, the club has to do something about it.

An excellent post.
good post and that point has come for me. i used to go to all home and away matches, but over recent years stopped going to away matches. The last 2-3 years have been hard work going to games. I have only been to 3 matches all season (think it was 4 poss 5 last year).
i have decided not to renew my season ticket, but am planning on going to games when i feel like going as it feels like a chore at the minute, and hopefully i get the desire back and will get a ticket again the following year.
why have i got to this point? i genuinely dont know, but its not all down to Wigan. I would say that the RFL have to take a large portion of why i feel this way. Their lack of vision, strategy etc has held the game back for years. The cap (i know this has been done to death) is a major factor and some of the deals struck have been awful i.e Stobarts. Just look at the RU world cup at the minute, the game IMO is substandard in comparison to RL, but look at the crowds and more importanly the TV coverage and global sponsors Guiness, DHL, O2 splashed all over the place, if only RL had that instead of what we currently get. And before anyone says that the RU world cup, look at the local game then, they are on ITV, C4, C5 and BT sports, BBC for 6 nations and so on. We get pushed around by SKY and a highlights program at some ridiculous time in the middle of the night.
Finally i have found other things to fill my Friday nights (thats when we play then) and have even found myself heading to the Trafford Centre with my family. Even they know i hate the place, but that just says what i feel about watching rugby at the minute, that i would rather go there than watch a game of rugby that i have already paid for
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

I know this is off the Wigan attendance topic (but its a follow on to the 1 of the points i was making earlier). I have just seen on Face book that England have won a 9's game. I didnt even know there was a 9's competition going on. that could be just that i dont have sky and live and breathe RL every hour of every day, but i am still a ST holder at Wigan, i have purchased tickets for Challenge Cup, GF and England off the RFL, so why do i not get anything marketing the game?? Is it even on TV anywhere?
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

the pieman wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:49 am I know this is off the Wigan attendance topic (but its a follow on to the 1 of the points i was making earlier). I have just seen on Face book that England have won a 9's game. I didnt even know there was a 9's competition going on. that could be just that i dont have sky and live and breathe RL every hour of every day, but i am still a ST holder at Wigan, i have purchased tickets for Challenge Cup, GF and England off the RFL, so why do i not get anything marketing the game?? Is it even on TV anywhere?
Do you look at the Wigan Warriors official site?
Do you buy (read) any of the RL trade papers?
Do you follow England RL on facebook or twitter?
It's been mentioned on all of those.

All of the games were on Sky Arena this morning
All of the games are on Sky Arena tomorrow.

If no, then how do you expect to be told?

The England Knights game is being streamed live on OurLeague on Sunday from Headingley k.o. 3 p.m.

Alternatively Bilkos site is probably the best to follow, just bookmark it.
https://www.rugbyleagueontv.com/
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

No straw damn us wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:36 pm
the pieman wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:49 am I know this is off the Wigan attendance topic (but its a follow on to the 1 of the points i was making earlier). I have just seen on Face book that England have won a 9's game. I didnt even know there was a 9's competition going on. that could be just that i dont have sky and live and breathe RL every hour of every day, but i am still a ST holder at Wigan, i have purchased tickets for Challenge Cup, GF and England off the RFL, so why do i not get anything marketing the game?? Is it even on TV anywhere?

The England Knights game is being streamed live on OurLeague on Sunday from Headingley k.o. 3 p.m.

But that's preaching to the converted. I don't do social media nor buy papers/ magazines etc. So how are we going to get the game to the masses if we only tell those who already watch the game.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Do you look at the Wigan Warriors official site? yes but not as often as i used to
Do you buy (read) any of the RL trade papers? not any more
Do you follow England RL on facebook or twitter? yes

Commented above re communications

as i had previously mentioned i am personally at a bit of a low with the game and i appreciate that there has been some marketing. I am on social media, FB, Twitter and Instagram, plus i use the forums (irregular).

The point i am making is that i am a rugby league fan, and i didnt know that it was going on and i follow RL on social media, i have purchased lots of tickets from the RFL etc. i havent been bombarded with anything to say that there is something going on that i am aware of.

I could be wrong but its almost complacency or ineptitude, in that the RFL fans will keep coming and hopefully we'll get the message out there.

I have seen 1st hand and more recently heard that the local fans for Magic Weekends didnt know it was going on. If we are taking games on the road the local city should be bomdarded with marketing and incentives to get them into the games.

Locally the Wigan marketing team used to be fantastic and innovative but that has stopped after Simon Collinson left the club (think i am on the right person). Warrington have stepped up with something different this year. i've seen Wolfie all over social media promoting games. thats not rocket science what the Wire have done, but its been effective
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

WarriorWinger wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:24 pm

But that's preaching to the converted. I don't do social media nor buy papers/ magazines etc. So how are we going to get the game to the masses if we only tell those who already watch the game.
that is really my point. i watch the game but didnt know it was happening so how are we going to get others interested and watching?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I post as much as I can regarding everything to do with national & international rugby on here, on FB & Twitter. If you have failed to read about it on any of those platforms I don’t know what else to do.

You said you’ve just read on FB about England winning their 9’s fixture against Wales! So how come if you’ve seen that, you haven’t seen anything else regarding the competitions which are taking place at the moment?

BTW There is an England Knights game v Jamaica Reggae Warriors on Sunday ko 3pm at Leeds Headingley. It has been posted on here about this fixture & there is a dedicated page on FB 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

WarriorWinger wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:24 pm

THIS site is Social Media!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

I was close to telling Wigan to stick their season ticket where the sun don't shine.. My wife gets me my season ticket every year for my Christmas present, two years ago she signed up for auto renewal, Wigan obviously ballsed that up last year but was promised all would be well this year!!!! Low and behold no news whatsoever from Wigan, no money taken, wigan ticket office having no knowledge that I even exist never mind me ordering tickets from them every away game, but also no knowledge of us ever setting up a direct debit for the auto renewel despite us emailing them with the actual direct debit email they sent us last year telling us it was set up. Wigan then said the auto renewal price was gone now so it would be more expensive so I just told them to not bother then and told my wife to put the phone down, to which we got a......but this time we'll honour the renewal price. We then asked to set up for auto renewal again to be told we couldn't as it was a different company doing the finance, to which again we said never mind and ended the call.

I love Wigan, have done since I first saw us beat Leigh at Hilton park when I was 8 years old at my first game. I've had season ticket for the last twenty five years but each year it seems to be getting harder to actually get info from Wigan and to actually buy the ticket, I also miss out on a lot of the benefits of having a season ticket due to not living in Wigan .

Just all seems very amateur!!!

Matt
moto748

Post by moto748 »

pieman's comments about the Nines are surely fair; the BBC RL site (the obvious first port of call) has been deafeningly silent about it. Personally I only even knew about it at first because of posts on Aussie league sites I follow. Not even highlights (do nine-minute long halves need highlights?) for the many who don't have Sky on the Beeb? I have a watchnrl.com subscription, but that doesn't seem to cover it either.