1970 Challenge Cup Final (One for us old gits ;) )

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

1970 Challenge Cup Final (One for us old gits ;) )

Post by cpwigan »

Watched it at the weekend on DVD. HOw bad was that challenge on Colin Tyrer :o Made Newton on Long look tame. Fred Lindop in his first Challenge Cup Final and no sending off, Tyrer carried off. We could have won that day :wink:

BTW - How screwed were the rules back in the day as regards who got the feed at scrums. Bizarre :conf: The team that made the mistake often got the feed
mstiggy

Re: 1970 Challenge Cup Fin...

Post by mstiggy »

First Wembley match I ever went too, was right at the top behind the goals to left handside, we left at full time just as final whistle went, got home to Lancashire at 7.40 sat night cos my Dad was so angry he drove fast all the way home so he could get back for a drink, and this was before M1 was joined to the M6, would struggle to get back that fast these days! Anyway was still a good day out and a great atmosphere, have never missed a match there since, personally I cant wait for new Stadium to be ready and roll on August!
Ken

Re: 1970 Challenge Cup Final (...

Post by Ken »

I think in them days we had Brian Hogan,Danny Gardener and Bill Asherst, butter would not melt in there mouth
Ken Blinston
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Team seemed better than what they actually achieved. Keri Jones seemed okay on the wing, Tyrer (what a mess the high shot made) Ashurst and Robinson and a never say die hooker. Dougie Laughton disappointed me. A young Reilly looked excellent for Cas.
ellery

Post by ellery »

Tyrer got Hepworth back later in his career, and he definately deserved what was coming. My memory of the 1970 Final was my Dad telling me that I was too young to go and that he would take me next time. There then followed fourteen long painful years before the Wembley Wizards returned home. Lets hope that now the new Wembley is to be complete ( or Central Park South as it used to be known) that the Cherry and Whites can dominate once more.
ian.birchall

Re: 1970 Challenge Cup Final (...

Post by ian.birchall »

CPWigan,
Now at 34 I know you were too young for your dad to have taken you to that game. Just take it from me it was so bad it drove me to deepest darkest Africa for 8 years!
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Yep Ian. I managed to get a DVD of it. Glad they changed the rules I can tell you :) very different game to nowadays.