Australian legend Paul Gallen reveals his toughest game... was against Wigan Warriors

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Australian legend Paul Gallen reveals his toughest game... was against Wigan Warriors

Post by josie andrews »

He played in 24 State of Origin matches and even more Tests, yet Australian legend Paul Gallen has revealed one of his most gruelling challenges was against Wigan.

The 38-year-old captained the Cronulla side which went down 22-6 at the DW Stadium in the World Club Challenge in early 2017.

And Gallen, who retired at the end of last season, revealed in his new autobiography Heart and Soul: My Story the loss still "eats at me".

“I rate that match against Wigan as one of the most physical and intense matches that I have ever played in," he wrote.

"We simply weren’t good enough on the day. It’s the only trophy in my entire career that I was never able to hold aloft.

"Our loss to Wigan in the World Club Challenge still eats at me."

In the 2017 WCC, Joe Burgess scored a hat-trick as the Warriors won the title for the first time since 1994. Centre Oliver Gildart also scored a try, while Morgan Escare (two) and Sam Powell added goals.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/austr ... 1-10076466
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Re: Australian legend Paul Gallen reveals his toughest game... was against Wigan Warriors

Post by Caboosegg »

High praise from an NRL Legend.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
widdenoldboy

Re: Australian legend Paul Gallen reveals his toughest game... was against Wigan Warriors

Post by widdenoldboy »

Need to get back to that standard, It seems a long time ago with Budgie and Escare having stormers.

Nice to have Gallen's praise.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

widdenoldboy wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:44 pm Need to get back to that standard, It seems a long time ago with Budgie and Escare having stormers.

Escare would need to play to try 😂
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:36 am
widdenoldboy wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:44 pm Need to get back to that standard, It seems a long time ago with Budgie and Escare having stormers.

ESCARE
Tierney
Gelling
Gildart
Burgess
Williams
Leuluai
Nuuausala
Powell
Flower
Bateman
Farrell
O'loughlin
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

The booze hound wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:42 am
Caboosegg wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:36 am

ESCARE
Tierney
Gelling
Gildart
Burgess
Williams
Leuluai
Nuuausala
Powell
Flower
Bateman
Farrell
O'loughlin
I mean its hard for Escare to have a stormer when he isn't getting selected at wigan 😂
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Agreed re: Burgess, considerably underperformed in 2019!

I remember watching Wigan V St George and being so impressed by the intensity of the aussies pre match warm up and thought we had no chance of winning that game (purely based on fitness).

I never went to 87, 91 and 94, so for me I consider it a PRIVILAGE to see Wigan win the WCC! Wire fans where rather bitter seem to remember :lol:

Anyone know if Wigan V Canberra is taking place?