Zak Hardaker to play on the wing as Great Britain shuffles side

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Zak Hardaker to play on the wing as Great Britain shuffles side

Post by josie andrews »

Zak Hardaker will switch to the wing to cover for the loss of Ryan Hall after coach Wayne Bennett ruled out bringing anyone else into his Great Britain squad.

The Wigan full-back has played at right centre for the first two Tests, but has been switched to the left wing after Hall was ruled out with a knee injury.

Meanwhile, Wigan centre Oliver Gildart will return to the UK tomorrow to continue his treatment for a dislocated shoulder suffered in the defeat to Tonga.

Sydney Roosters winger Hall is also departing. The Lions management have opted not to draft in any replacements.

Bennett said: "We have every faith in the ability of the players within our squad to get the job done.

"It is disappointing for Ryan and Oliver that they have had to leave the tour through injury."

St Helens prop Luke Thompson, though, returned to training today as he recovers from a rib injury suffered in the opening weekend.

He is in the provisional 21-man squad for Saturday's Test in Christchurch with Warrington forward Jack Hughes - a double-winner with Wigan in 2013 - named in the side at centre.

The rest of the side is settled from the 12-8 loss to Michael Maguire's Kiwis, meaning there is still no place for George Williams.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/zak-ha ... 1-10085522
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: Zak Hardaker to play on the wing as Great Britain shuffles side

Post by fozzieskem »

So a player who’s had a superb season at fullback (far better than Coote in my humble opinion)was moved to the centres and had two flat average performances there is now expected to play on the wing?

Who picked this squad?
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

fozzieskem wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:13 pm So a player who’s had a superb season at fullback (far better than Coote in my humble opinion)was moved to the centres and had two flat average performances there is now expected to play on the wing?

Who picked this squad?
Two white mice with white sticks. Bateman to centre?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Great Britain boss Wayne Bennett lifts lid on controversial selections and coaching future

Wayne Bennett has defended his controversial decision to name six half-backs in his Great Britain squad.

It has left the Lions light in other areas and backfired following tour-ending injuries to three-quarters Oliver Gildart and Ryan Hall.

But the Lions coach insists it was a deliberate risk that needed taking ahead of England's World Cup campaign in 2021. He has also promised that all the unused players will feature against Papua New Guinea next week.

And he revealed that he wants to stay on as England coach for next year’s Series against Australia and the following year’s World Cup.

He said: “My contract is up at the end of this series and I would like to stay on but it is not up to me to make that decision.

“I’m not worried about that part, I’m just worried about making sure we have a strong squad for the long term future.”

Half-backs Jackson Hastings and Gareth Widdop have got the nod for the third game running for Saturday’s Test with New Zealand. But Bennett said it was important he also brought Blake Austin, George Williams, Jonny Lomax and Jake Trueman on tour.

The Aussie, who is using Lomax at full-back, said: “I did it deliberately because I wanted to see them all because it is such a vital position going forward. All the great teams have a permanent half-back, five-eighth (stand-off) combination and that is where you want to be.

“I didn’t want us going into the series against Australia next year trialling players. It is too close to the World Cup for that.

“I thought it was a risk worth taking here to find out what they all bring and I have not been disappointed in what we have done. It is not the ideal selection procedure but it is with a view to the next couple of years.”

Austin, Williams and Trueman will all feature in the final game of the four-match tour in Port Moresby next week.

Bennett added: “By that stage we will know where we are with Hastings and Widdop. The one constant we have had since I took over is Josh Hodgson at hooker, with Daryl Clark and James Roby (currently injured).

“We are now trying to get that constant in the halves in this series, but Papua New Guinea gives me chance to see the others play. I am not going to bring these boys away for a month, away from their families, and not play them.”

Great Britain could have taken up an option to fly in a replacement player, following the serious injuries to Gildart and Hall.

But Bennett said: “I did not see the point of bringing someone out from England on Monday to play Saturday when he has not trained with us. I am happy to give these boys opportunities and see what we have got going forward.”

Wigan full-back Zak Hardaker has played in the centres in the opening defeats by Tonga and New Zealand but will switch to the wing this week.

Warrington back rower Jack Hughes will make his Lions debut in the centre, a position he has covered before at club level.

Lions team: Lomax; Hardaker, Connor, Hughes, McGillvary; Widdop, Hastings; Hill, Hodgson, Burgess, Bateman, Whitehead, Graham. Subs: Clark, Walmsley, Philbin, Jones.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-le ... l-20819697
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
6742hitch

Post by 6742hitch »

Bennet needs to go...ASAP...you don’t see New Zealand or Australia...or Tonga for that matter coming up with team sheets, better players left out and players in awkward positions like he does!!
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Bennet out. This was not a preseason friendly tour. This is the Lions.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
endoman

Post by endoman »

Hardaker out with a shoulder injury, Austin on the wing.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

You couldn’t make this up!

What a fecking shambles of a “test” series! 🤬
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Ir's a disgrace, Josie. Resuscitate the Lions: for this?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Time for Waney to step into the breach