GB v NZ 3rd test Spoiler

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
ancientnloyal

Re: GB v NZ 3rd test Spoiler

Post by ancientnloyal »

Sh!t

Should be British born or parents British. Makes kids in Oldham or Plymouth or wherever have a dream to wear the tricolor and be British.

Not a good advert for SL with this NRL bias and Australians playing out of position to fill a team.

Future is bright 🦁
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

I don't disagree with what is being said

It might not be popular and you could point out that it is damaging the International game BUT I think any player that moves to the NRL should no longer be eligible for international selection

Yes. That means no more Bateman but we need to disincentivise players from leaving the game simply because the Aussie's pay more

Players now go the NRL and appear to jump ahead in the selection process no matter how well they play at international level. This has got to stop otherwise it simply encourages players to go

When Gildart goes that means he will no longer be an international and lines have to be drawn. It has to become another consideration when players depart SL
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:32 pm I don't disagree with what is being said

It might not be popular and you could point out that it is damaging the International game BUT I think any player that moves to the NRL should no longer be eligible for international selection

Yes. That means no more Bateman but we need to disincentivise players from leaving the game simply because the Aussie's pay more

Players now go the NRL and appear to jump ahead in the selection process no matter how well they play at international level. This has got to stop otherwise it simply encourages players to go

When Gildart goes that means he will no longer be an international and lines have to be drawn. It has to become another consideration when players depart SL
I think that’s a good point, because the Aussies don’t select players who come to play in SL.
And if British/England players aspire to play for their country there should be some sort of deterrent for them leaving SL for the money in Oz
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Green Machine

Post by Green Machine »

Unfortunately Josie we just don’t have the strength in depth that Australia do. Take some players out of their squad and there’s half a dozen more just waiting to step into their shoes.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

How many players play for the shirt though? Isnt it just an extra paycheck these days?

Id love to see pride for SL instilled in players and not the obsession to rush to the NRL.

But when the fans constantly moan how poor it is can you blame them for wanting to go to the better comp?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

There are several points here. First of all, I don't see why England/GB should adopt stricter rules on nationality than other sports like RU and cricket. Even the Kiwis and Kangaroos do the same. But the proviso should be, of course, play your best, in-form players. Quite a few in this team should have nowhere near the squad.

Any small green shoots we might have seen from Bennett last season seem to have totally disappeared this year. His sides have looked to have no plan and no idea how to get over the line bar bash and barge.

FWIW I agree with Robbie H-P that they might as well let Hastings take the lead rather than Widdop. I'd prefer Widdop at full-back, Lomax at 6, and Coote nowhere near! Austin tried hard and seemed to show more pride in the shirt than many; I'd have him on the bench.

The Aussies must have watched this and thought, why are we bothering coming?
bertina

Post by bertina »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:32 pm I don't disagree with what is being said

Pride in the shirt is one thing, but these lads have bills to pay and families to keep just like anybody else, except they have a much shorter career to do it in. How can you blame any of them for going to the NRL for 2,3,or 4 times the wages they can get over here.? And I don’t think they should be prevented from playing for their country just because they are trying to provide better for their futures.
The International team should be picked on the ability / form of the player, and not depend on where he plays his rugby.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Caboosegg wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:33 pm How many players play for the shirt though? Isnt it just an extra paycheck these days?

Id love to see pride for SL instilled in players and not the obsession to rush to the NRL.

But when the fans constantly moan how poor it is can you blame them for wanting to go to the better comp?
Agree with the first part. If you watch the Aussies they play like their lives depend on it, never give up attitude.
SJ

Post by SJ »

ancientnloyal wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:28 pm Sh!t

Should be British born or parents British. Makes kids in Oldham or Plymouth or wherever have a dream to wear the tricolor and be British.

Not a good advert for SL with this NRL bias and Australians playing out of position to fill a team.

Future is bright 🦁
Food for thought A&L. But it's the perennial problem. We are simply not good enough The players did their best. Their best just isn't good enough to compete. Sad but true. Can't blame Bennet. Even he can't make a silk purse out of a pigs Ear!

Think of our game this way. If the NRL operated here in competition with our game. How many would watch SL?

I enjoy our game an have done for 63 of my 75 years. We are and will remain a parochial sport and I don't mean that as an insult. It's simply a truism! But we still keep stoically marching on. Long may it continue. 👍
Last edited by SJ on Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

bertina wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:54 am

Pride in the shirt is one thing, but these lads have bills to pay and families to keep just like anybody else, except they have a much shorter career to do it in. How can you blame any of them for going to the NRL for 2,3,or 4 times the wages they can get over here.? And I don’t think they should be prevented from playing for their country just because they are trying to provide better for their futures.
The International team should be picked on the ability / form of the player, and not depend on where he plays his rugby.
Austin made mistakes associated with a player being out of position apart from a simple drop, on the other hand he was one of the few who regularly went forward in the tackle when carrying the ball up the middle.I
Selection really needs to be looked at when we have no replacement centres or wingers on the trip. Having said that I believe that we are on the downward part of the wave at the moment and our options are limited because the standard in Super League is not great. We seem to have a lot of well drilled and very fit players but we lacked the all round brilliance of the opposition. When you have players who can dent the line and then promote the ball you earn the right to run at a broken line.