O'Loughlin signs for final season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

O'Loughlin signs for final season

Post by josie andrews »

Sean O’Loughlin has signed a one-year contract extension with Wigan Warriors for what will be his final season of his glittering playing career.

The 36-year old will now enter his 19th season with his hometown club in 2020, having signed a new-deal to remain at the DW Stadium.

As one of Wigan’s most successful captains, O’Loughlin has skippered Wigan to four Super League titles, two Challenge Cups and a World Club Challenge title since being made captain in 2006. One of rugby league’s most respected and revered figures, O’Loughlin has also captained England and represented Great Britain and Lancashire in a highly successful playing-career, with the loose-forward being named in the Super League dream team on seven occasions. He made his 450th Wigan appearance in September 2019 and sits seventh on the all-time list of Wigan appearance makers.

Wigan Warriors executive director, Kris Radlinski: “We have been very fortunate to have Sean O’Loughlin at Wigan Warriors for such a long and successful period of time, and it’s brilliant news that he’ll see out his playing days and finish the game as a one-club man.”

“Sean has made an enormous contribution in his 18-years at Wigan Warriors. On the field, he has been unbelievably consistent in setting a superb example to our younger players and is undoubtedly one of the best players this country has ever produced in rugby league. He has the respect and admiration of the very best players and coaches in this sport and among his peers.

“With a young, tenacious group of players, Sean’s leadership, wealth of knowledge and experience will be of great value on and off the field, and he still is one of the finest ball-playing loose-forwards operating at this level of the game. We’re delighted that we’ve come to an agreement to see Sean go around for one more season.”

Reacting to signing his latest deal, O’Loughlin said: “I’m really pleased to have come to an agreement with the Club for my final season. I’ve made no secret of my desire to finish my playing career as a one-club man and I’m looking forward to pulling on the Cherry and White jersey once again this season.

“This won’t be a year-long lap of honour for me, as there’s an extremely strong and competitive Super League season on the horizon that we have to prepare for. My focus in solely on helping contribute to the team in 2020.”

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... xylwDt5.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: O'Loughlin signs for final season

Post by josie andrews »

I’m happy 😊♥️🍒⚪️🏉♥️
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

The right move by Lockers to make this his last season,in fairness to him I don’t think he was used well by Lam last season I think I said on here you don’t use a Bentley and take it rallying.

Yes people moan about his game time but he will be very much missed when he finally hangs his boots up
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

😬
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Mixed feelings on this call! It was obvious Lockers was going to sign for 2020 otherwise his departure/retirement would have been well announced by now!

There's no doubt O'Loughlin has achieved legendary status both in Wigan and RL full stop but the reality is this counts for nothing on the field!

I personally think lockers was literally more drained and tired rather than poor last season which for me is more concerning! Can only hope his exclusion from GB will help refresh him for 2020 but if Wigan are rewarding players with first team squad numbers purely on performance who wears 13 next season? Because it certainly shouldn't be Lockers!
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Legend of the club but him carrying on is a bad decision.
Last season he really looked his age, he wasn’t there in attack and vulnerable in defence which leaves the team under more pressure to cover him.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Plot twist
lockers signs 1 year extension to give Sam Burgess a year to recover and join his brother from 2021

In reality its bad news, lockers is shot and will be a liability - the only grace here is hes admitting its his final season so that may give him an extra 5-10%
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Meh, adjective - uninspiring; unexceptional :D
bertina

Post by bertina »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:02 pm The right move by Lockers to make this his last season,in fairness to him I don’t think he was used well by Lam last season I think I said on here you don’t use a Bentley and take it rallying.

Yes people moan about his game time but he will be very much missed when he finally hangs his boots up
Like the old saying goes, you don’t realise what you’ve got until it’s gone.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Didnt he play more games and minutes than 2018 this year?

Im happy with this news, however we need to look at what we do when he retires, lockers is a calming influence on the pitch and granted he didnt have his best season but a lot of player had a poor start to the year.

Be nice to see him subbed with his replacement each game though to prepare for his retirement.
Last edited by Caboosegg on Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.