2020 Squad numbers announced

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
moto748

Re: 2020 Squad numbers announced

Post by moto748 »

I've never seen Hardaker have a good game at centre for anyone.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

Lam hardly played sammut last season and he was an unused sub afew times, why anyone would think hes gonna start in the halves is beyond me. Looks like an untested French will get a crack at it at least. Tommy and lockers going round again for me is disappointing also. Wouldn't have clubb starting for rose bridge never mind wigan
moto748

Post by moto748 »

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:49 pm
ian.birchall wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:55 pm So Sammut could not be off-loaded then?
I’d be amazed if Sammutt stays to be honest he seems to me to be in the room marked exit alongside Escare etc
Maybe, but he'll only be going if another club wants him, surely? Otherwise, contracted until the end of 2020.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I wonder if Marshall is this year's Escaré: given the shirt, but with little opportunity to wear it?

I suppose it all depends on Manfredi's return to fitness. Presumably Lam will start with Marshall on the right and Burgess on the left
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

moto748 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:52 pm I wonder if Marshall is this year's Escaré: given the shirt, but with little opportunity to wear it?

I suppose it all depends on Manfredi's return to fitness. Presumably Lam will start with Marshall on the right and Burgess on the left
Manfredis going out on loan isn't he
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

medlocke wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:56 pm
moto748 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:52 pm I wonder if Marshall is this year's Escaré: given the shirt, but with little opportunity to wear it?

I think Marshall is very worthy of his Number 2 jersey but he isn't as effective (overall) as Davies, Manfredi and Burgess (when he can be ars*d to play)!

I heard directly from a Leigh Centurions player that they were rumoured to be taking Dom on loan but, this was before Tom Davies signed for Catalans and I haven't spoken to him since!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I'd say Marshall became,untill his injury at least the most improved player in the squad last season I wonder if Lam will take that into account come seasons start.?
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Marshall's star certainly rose last year where few others in the side did.I enjoy watching him play, and hope he does well next year.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:11 pm
medlocke wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:56 pm

I think Marshall is very worthy of his Number 2 jersey but he isn't as effective (overall) as Davies, Manfredi and Burgess (when he can be ars*d to play)!

I heard directly from a Leigh Centurions player that they were rumoured to be taking Dom on loan but, this was before Tom Davies signed for Catalans and I haven't spoken to him since!

I think it's a bit harsh on Burgess. He had no pre-season after his ACL injury and was clearly low on confidence. There were a couple of good signs during the season but he was nowhere near back to his best. I do think its a confidence thing with him. If he could run in a few long range tries then I expect he could return to the Joe Burgess of old.
With a full pre-season behind him this time, here's hoping, because an in form Joe Burgess is one of superleagues best wingers.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I do dislike it when fans talk about players not trying. Not sure I've ever seen a player 'not try' - people have bad games and things go wrong but that's not the same.

With Budgie, I thought that Farrell's injury combined with George having a scrappy season meant that the decision was taken by the coaching staff (that's always assuming that we were coached last season!) to concentrate on the right side for attack. As a consequence, Budgie and Olly Gildart were starved of the ball for long periods of time. Our left side has long been one of the of the best attacks in the business but it will depend in the coming season on whether Hastings looks to get quick ball to them or can use his kicking game to get behind defences.

Given the confusion over who is going to play where, I'm not over-optimistic about our method of attack. Hope I'm wrong but if the right flank is our preferred means of trying to score tries, we may win matches but see players like Gildart opting to move on. I'm always a bit puzzled when sides don't choose to play to their strengths.