Phil Clarke bizzare comments on GB Lions

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Phil Clarke bizzare comments on GB Lions

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:54 am What do you all make of this?

What has happened for many years?

Why is he asking the question about 13 backs. Seriously?

What rules of the game is he referring to that result in runs from the POTB?

PC: "The selection of Blake Austin on the wing fascinates me. It has happened for many years and I am not saying that it was wrong, but if that is the case then do any positions matter?

"Could you play a game with 13 backs on the pitch? It seems a though rugby league is now one size fits all and one play is all you need.

"I am saddened that the rules of the game mean that picking the ball up and running directly from behind the play-the-ball seems to be the most effective move in the sport.

"They sometimes stop kids from doing this and make them pass the ball, but at the highest level of the international game running from the play-the-ball is the most exciting thing we have to look forward to - or a kick on the last tackle.
I think he is right and its a comment i and others have made for a while now that rugby league is becoming a 1 position game really.

Think about it conrad hurrell could play prop and hes a centre, burgess this year is probably bigger than most of our pack. Lockers can play half back, the list goes on.

Rugby League for a long time now has become about athleticism over everything else, the push has been to make players faster and bigger not more skill-full. The days of a thinking half back, zippy wingers and big lugging props are gone.

Backs probably complete as many hit-up drives as props and forwards are getting quicker and quicker and fitter and fitter. The result is we are getting to a stage we are experiencing nearly every player is becoming a skilled 2nd row

This is one of the reasons i think union is gaining ground on us because theyre game is quite complex and while that used to hold them back now the players are fitter its becoming a better watch, theres a strategy to it and more of an ebb and flow. League is becoming just run as fast and hard as you can - end
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

A tweet from Paul Scunthorpe MBE
Amazing what happens when you pass the ball!...13 to 6 to 7.....first two passes would be off front rowers today
🙄💩

https://twitter.com/warringtonrlfc1/sta ... 71616?s=21
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
bertina

Post by bertina »

ancientnloyal wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:01 pm Imagine, you could have Clubb on the wing!

Madness

😏
its bad enough having him in the front row. :lol: :lol:
moto748

Post by moto748 »

There's nothing wrong with rugby league. The NRL is, IMO, the best TV spectator sport on the planet, and they play to the same rules we do, more or less. And I don't see skilful halves or wingers dying out there.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

moto748 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:17 pm There's nothing wrong with rugby league. The NRL is, IMO, the best TV spectator sport on the planet, and they play to the same rules we do, more or less. And I don't see skilful halves or wingers dying out there.
Theres not a lot wrong with RL down under but its a shambles here and thats a fact
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I don't disagree, but my point is the problem here is not the rules of the game, or their interpretation by referees, or not having "the biff". Of course, having people running the sport who knew their ass from their elbow would be a good positive start.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

I have advocated for many years that the "scooter hooker" is the most one dimensional form of Rugby League that exists.
Pick the ball up run quickly, get tackled, play the ball then do it again. But then you have Cameron Smith who has a look, takes a stride if necessary, finds a pass short OR long and THEN IF IT'S THE BETTER OPTION runs.

Martin Dermott was a master, read John Monies book or ask Andy Greg, fast accurate service from dummy half is key to good halfback play and entertaining open rugby.

Many years ago RL trialled a rule whereby if the dummy half got tackled in possession a scrum was given, that failed, but maybe we could try (first of all at reserve level) a hand over if they were tackled in possession.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

old hooker wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:50 pm
moto748 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:17 pm There's nothing wrong with rugby league. The NRL is, IMO, the best TV spectator sport on the planet, and they play to the same rules we do, more or less. And I don't see skilful halves or wingers dying out there.
Theres not a lot wrong with RL down under but its a shambles here and thats a fact
To many matches in a season lowering the overall quality. We should have less games and bring back some other events such as lanc v yorkshire or a 9s.

Less games, less injuries, players fresher = better games.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.