AIDAN SEZER JOINS GIANTS

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

AIDAN SEZER JOINS GIANTS

Post by josie andrews »

Huddersfield have signed Australian half-back Aidan Sezer from Canberra Raiders on a two-year deal

Huddersfield Giants have made a huge statement of intent with the signing of NRL Grand Finalist Aidan Sezer on a two year deal. The half-back arrives from Canberra Raiders and has made over 150 appearances at first-grade level in Australia.

The 28-year old arrives at the club with a wealth of NRL experience, having played for Gold Coast Titans and the Raiders, where he linked up briefly with Head Coach Simon Woolford and fellow Giant Jordan Turner. He most recently took the Raiders to their first NRL Grand Final in 25 years and also featured in Canberra’s 2nd place finish in the NRL in 2016.

Sezer said on the move: "It's been a drawn out process for most of the year, but to have it all done is a great relief. Joining up with Simon and the boys will be a relief - obviously it was a disappointing campaign last year for the Giants but the ambition of the club and the group is exciting. I'm really looking forward to get over there and have a successful campaign in 2020"

"I've followed the Super League pretty closely and I've always said I want to be a part of it and hopefully go over there and I'm delighted it's come. I've got a good opportunity to play with the Giants and to play for a great club and hopefully have a successful campaign"

"Hopefully my big game experience will carry through, I'm a more mature player now and we've already got big game experience with Jordan Turner who is Grand Final winner, we've added some great experience with Kenny Edwards - a high quality player back-rower and of course James Gavet, who's been a really solid front-rower in the NRL. I think as a collective we've got things to be optimistic about in the coming year."

Simon Woolford, Head Coach at Huddersfield Giants, said: “I am delighted to finally get the news of Aidan Sezer’s signing out as it’s been a long process. Everyone knows he was my preferred pick in the crucial half back area but to get a current NRL Grand Finalist over here in the prime of his career really is a massive boost for the Giants and the game as a whole.

"With over 150 career games in the NRL and experience of finals football, his pedigree speaks for itself and he will be a real asset for the team.

"There are lots of people here at the club to thank for making this possible – especially Ken of course - but as a coach my predominant view is what he’ll bring to the team. He is an experienced organiser, a superb kicker of the ball both out of the hand and off the tee, and with his 83% kicking success rate, he'll obviously become our primary kicker.

"His running game I think will complement the people around him and above all he is from a winning environment at Canberra and having enjoyed such a stellar season last year can bring a lot of that toughness and win at all costs mentality that successful teams need.

"I'm looking forward to him being in the UK as soon as possible and getting him over and stuck right into work around our structures and principals."

Giants Managing Director Richard Thewlis said “Simon is right to acknowledge the roles that a lot of people have played behind the scenes in being able to make this news public today and it also needs to be highlighted how helpful the Canberra club have been in releasing Aidan to have a crack at Super League a year earlier than perhaps may have been envisaged.

"To have an NRL Grand Final half back from last year who is still only 28 is a massive statement from the Giants as to our intentions for 2020 and beyond.

"I have consistently said that the squad both on the field and the staff off the field will evolve as time moves on and patience will be needed however this was a key part of the jigsaw and am sure will be greeted with delight by all our supporters that its finally fallen into place."

https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/1 ... ins-giants
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Re: AIDAN SEZER JOINS GIANTS

Post by Caboosegg »

This season SL may end up being a breath of fresh air, lots of NRL players making a move before they are past it.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
bertina

Post by bertina »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:19 pm This season SL may end up being a breath of fresh air, lots of NRL players making a move before they are past it.
Canberra swap Aidan Sezer for George Williams.? I’d be nervous if I was a raiders fan.
As we have said, time will tell, but George will be under the spotlight from the off.
Won’t take long for the Aussies to get on his case if he isn’t living up to the hype.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

Top player. Good for Superleague and a great signing for the Giants.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:19 pm This season SL may end up being a breath of fresh air, lots of NRL players making a move before they are past it.
Agreed the quality of the league this year has really gone up
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

bertina wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:32 pm
Canberra swap Aidan Sezer for George Williams.? I’d be nervous if I was a raiders fan.
As we have said, time will tell, but George will be under the spotlight from the off.
Won’t take long for the Aussies to get on his case if he isn’t living up to the hype.
You never know Williams might be like Sutton, turn out a lot better than we thought he would.
I’m not convinced myself though
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Sutton did seem to drift out of Canberra by seasons end though didn't he?

Did he pick an injury up or something he seemed to be going so well, still 20 games for them last season is frankly 10 more than I thought he'd get over there always nice to be proven wrong by a player.