Sammut leaves...

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: Sammutt

Post by medlocke »

pearsy wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:22 pm If both players depart who should we go after?
Jared Waerea-Hargreaves would have been mine but he's just signed an extension to stay at the roosters till 2023

Zane Tetevano

Don't really know who is available now
josie andrews

Re: Sammut leaves...

Post by josie andrews »

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

Poor journalism that, just comments on his tweet and not asking the club for a statement.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Again using his twitter account (which is a pain as I don’t do Twitter) he has thanked everyone for the last year so I suppose that’s it.

Weird the club cba saying something
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:35 pm Again using his twitter account (which is a pain as I don’t do Twitter) he has thanked everyone for the last year so I suppose that’s it.

He told me after the last game v Salford that he would be looking for a new club, but would try & fight for his place as he has enjoyed his time here.

What I cannot understand is he was given a squad number!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:56 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:35 pm Again using his twitter account (which is a pain as I don’t do Twitter) he has thanked everyone for the last year so I suppose that’s it.

He told me after the last game v Salford that he would be looking for a new club, but would try & fight for his place as he has enjoyed his time here.

What I cannot understand is he was given a squad number!
It doesn't make any sense does it?

A nice guy for sure and at least he's seen there writing on the wall and has decided to call time on his career at wigan.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

I thought Sammut added to the team when he played.
We were all over Cas at their place until he was injured then when he was off they fell off a cliff.
When Wakey came to ours he ran them ragged. Completely ran the show. Good interception try too.
Lam must know why he played him so little.

This season had better be a good one for Lam's sake. With this squad and the cost of it one trophy is a must. Another blank season just won't be acceptable.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:12 am I thought Sammut added to the team when he played.
We were all over Cas at their place until he was injured then when he was off they fell off a cliff.
When Wakey came to ours he ran them ragged. Completely ran the show. Good interception try too.

This season had better be a good one for Lam's sake. With this squad and the cost of it one trophy is a must. Another blank season just won't be acceptable.
Agreed on both counts! I personally think Sammut and Hastings are the most experienced and fluent 6 and 7 combination we could have had for 2020. Unless I'm missing something about French nothing convinces me he is a stand off apart from his lightening pace?

I know some fans didn't rate Lam in 2019 but all things considered, I think he stabilised the team (which was needed IMO). I agree though I think we certainly have much more experience and depth now to realistically start a fresh and pick something up hopefully.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Letting Jarrod go does suggests to me that Lammy is expecting French to play at 6. I think a really successful season (i.e. reaching a final or winning a trophy) is dependent on Bevan fitting in at 6 because, even with Hastings, if we're relying on Tommy at halfback again we just won't have the combination of skill and pace required. I think Tommy has been kept on in case the Bevan and Jackson combination doesn't work out. Tommy and Sam P sharing the hooking role with Bevan and Jackson in the halves would be excellent if it works as we all hope. I'm hoping Bevan can provide the back up play and finishing of a young Danny McGuire to make us a really dangerous attacking team through the middle. If Bevan doesn't make it at 6 he's still one of our best two wingers but won't be able to influence any game to such an extent. The players we have give us lots of options this season which is always good when injuries strike but we need one particular combination to work in order to challenge at the top next season.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:53 pm
Wiganer Ted wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:12 am I thought Sammut added to the team when he played.

Agreed on both counts! I personally think Sammut and Hastings are the most experienced and fluent 6 and 7 combination we could have had for 2020. Unless I'm missing something about French nothing convinces me he is a stand off apart from his lightening pace?

I know some fans didn't rate Lam in 2019 but all things considered, I think he stabilised the team (which was needed IMO). I agree though I think we certainly have much more experience and depth now to realistically start a fresh and pick something up hopefully.
I don't think the WCC helped at all last season,all well and good to be involved but as in 2017 it seemed to screw the season so you have to factor in that with regards to Lam,that and the abject stupidity of the Edwards affair which again all added to that weird season.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think Lam is the man to lead Wigan onwards (and I do love to be proven wrongs here's hoping),his downright weird team selections at times, ill not blame him for the Samutt signing as I say a gamble it didn't work out,all lead me to think its not the right fit for Wigan,time will tell because this season there's simply no hiding place for him,Lenegans backed him big and he will, rightly want bits of silverware for 2021 team photo.