Brian Carney: Should Super League salary cap be cut to £1m?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Wiganer Ted

Re: Brian Carney: Should Super League salary cap be cut to £1m?

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Carney would be better suggesting raising the salary cap to £3m then we'd attract better quality players, better coaching staff and a much improved game thereby giving SKY better viewing figures.

If SKY want to cost cut in Rugby League then they should start with their overstaffed match day lot.
Carney and Wells should stay as summerisers and anchors. Arthur and Studd commentators. Brooks as touch line link together with Cummings to add clarity and accuracy to the rules and a referee's decision making as so very few know exactly what the rules of Rugby League are.
The rest could go!
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:18 pmar
L
This translates to me as SKy want to cut our funding and trying to get their mouthpiece to normalise the idea
Exactly. Carney would be more honest if he said "I'm paid £xxxx* by Sky and what I'm saying suits their agenda." Then give us a rundown of how his career switchef between SL, NRL and RU and his salary after each move.

*As a qualified lawyer, it's safe to assume he wouldn't be on Sky unless they pay him more than he'd earn in the legal profession.

In terms of top 20 or top 50 players, it would also be interesting to know how he rated himself. I remember a match at Odsal when Lesley Vainikolo walked all over him - so we can focus on number 2 downwards....
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

The pod cast this is from is called by the balls and I have to say Carney is far more interesting on this than he ever is on sky,covers a lot of ground in what 40 mins or so and does so with a balanced eye.

Well worth a listen.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

morley pie eater wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:46 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:18 pmar
L
This translates to me as SKy want to cut our funding and trying to get their mouthpiece to normalise the idea
Exactly. Carney would be more honest if he said "I'm paid £xxxx* by Sky and what I'm saying suits their agenda." Then give us a rundown of how his career switchef between SL, NRL and RU and his salary after each move.

*As a qualified lawyer, it's safe to assume he wouldn't be on Sky unless they pay him more than he'd earn in the legal profession.

In terms of top 20 or top 50 players, it would also be interesting to know how he rated himself. I remember a match at Odsal when Lesley Vainikolo walked all over him - so we can focus on number 2 downwards....
I believe it was Bradford 34 Wigan 6 on 20th Feb 2004.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

He is mental
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

If we reduced the cap then teams would have to rely on more home grown talent, which would suite wigan........ lets see how , FOR IT , brian would be then if wigan were winning it with ease
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
jobo

Post by jobo »

Just read on totalrl a thread that suggests Amazon Prime are in negotiation with the RL.

That'll put the cat amongst Skys pigeons.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Amazon will seriously take football over soon. Ironically Sky should offer us way more.

Carney is skys mouth piece.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

jobo wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:11 pm Just read on totalrl a thread that suggests Amazon Prime are in negotiation with the RL.

That'll put the cat amongst Skys pigeons.
I read that too, honestly I doubt amazon have even heard of rugby league..maybe 5 to 10 years time if they go after sport, but if they do it'll be football, tennis maybe boxing they go for first.