Benny

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Benny

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

[urlhttps://www.wigantoday.net/sport/ben-flower-wan ... 1-10150331][/url]

Last year of his contract, is the writing on the wall?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
medlocke

Re: Benny

Post by medlocke »

Move him on and bring Georges brother in

No doubt the brains trust will give him a 4 year contract
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

medlocke wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:28 pm Move him on and bring Georges brother in

No doubt the brains trust will give him a 4 year contract
:lol:

I think with both Ben and Tony club the writing is on the wall, both getting hit with injuries and not getting any younger.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I would still have kept Ben in the staring lineup & put Toy on the bench!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I'd be surprised if Ben didn't expect to lose out to George but he must be sick to see Clubby get a squad number ahead of him. It's interesting to see that some players take the squad numbers seriously whilst others clearly don't care. That being the case perhaps coaches need to take that into account when deciding who gets which number. Nobody can ever doubt Ben's efforts and at his best, he's been one of our best props. However, he's not a big bloke and relies a lot on explosive pace an asset that players lose quickly as they get older. Injuries seem to be taking their toll and he needs a big season to justify a new contract or an extension for 2021.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Not many props got a good step and benny has done us good..... if he can shake the injuries im sure he canhave another good season or two...... at his best i think he was good enough for the NRL
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Personally I think Benny has been very consistent in his time at Wigan. I didn't expect Clubb or Flower to having starting 13 squad numbers this season in all honesty.

I think its good he is turning his disappointment into hard work and motivation but I think you need to look realistically at the pecking order (considering age, form and imports).

Burgess, Partington, Bullock and Byrne all make the 17 before Benny. As for Clubb, he must be an absolute trooper in traning and around the club. Squad numbers are an indication of the pecking order and or often given as a reward for the previous season or pre-season performances.

I think Tony Clubb is the standout concern at 8 but equally IMO, Hank at 3, French at 6, Isa at 11 and SOL at 13.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

How many minutes will George do in a game? I'm not up to date on the NRL. What's his playing time like? So we need to rotate two front line props to accommodate him?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Mike wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:25 pm How many minutes will George do in a game? I'm not up to date on the NRL. What's his playing time like? So we need to rotate two front line props to accommodate him?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
More than Clubb.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

good to see Ben hurting and has the fight to want a starting 13 shirt back. IMO no-one has a divine right to a starting spot / shirt, they need to work for it and earn the right. If Al saw that Bens performances werent up to the reward of the no 10 shirt, then he needs to earn that back by impressing him.

If Ben plays well enough this season then he will likely earn a contract extension, if not there is a chance that he could be let go.

Wigan used to be the past masters of moving players on in the late 80's - 90's. Several players including Gregory, Hanley, Offiah etc all moved on when the club felt they had past their prime and were replaced with the next in the production line or recruit.