Jackson Hastings ends speculation about Wigan Warriors future

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Jackson Hastings ends speculation about Wigan Warriors future

Post by josie andrews »

Jackson Hastings has moved to end speculation he was getting cold feet about his move to Wigan - declaring his excitement about playing for the club in 2020.

The Australian halfback had been silent about his next career move - even after reports last week suggesting he was having second thoughts about his move.

But last night he posted an image of the Wigan Warriors squad list onto his Instagram story, with the caption '31 again.... lesgoo'. He was referring to his squad number for 2020.

Adrian Lam had previously said he is “excited” about working with Hastings as he echoed Wigan’s position that he is due to arrive later this month.

Lam, also the Australia assistant coach, said: “I met with him in New Zealand when I was over there with the Kangaroos and he’s really excited about coming to the club.

“He sat down with the Wigan boys and had a good chat.

“Obviously he’s having a break now with his family in Australia, I know it’s been in the media but from my side of things and the club’s perspective, we’re expecting him at training on January 3.

“He knows his starting date, I’m expecting him here then and on my behalf I’m looking forward to having him here.”

Hastings, a family friend of Lam, signed a two-year deal with Wigan on a marquee contract, meaning only £150,000 of his lucrative contract counts on the cap.

He has a release clause allowing him to leave for an NRL club at the end of his first year if he informs the club before a specified, but unrevealed, date.

Wigan signed him following his exploits for Salford as a direct replacement for George Williams, who has moved to Canberra.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/jackso ... 1-10151177
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Re: Jackson Hastings ends speculation about Wigan Warriors future

Post by medlocke »

He's done himself no favours dragging it on this long, He will have alienated a percentage of fans, He could have put this to bed weeks ago
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

medlocke wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:40 am He's done himself no favours dragging it on this long, He will have alienated a percentage of fans, He could have put this to bed weeks ago
I dont think so personally - i think if he turns up for training on the 3rd then all is well - he could of genuinely not known about the speculation if hes in austrailia - and to be fair its not his job to get involved in rumours

personally i would like to have a more confident line from the club, people keep saying "were expecting him" etc why not "we rang him up and there is no issue" - the club have more to lose from the speculation so i dont know why they havent moved faster to put it to bed

either way as long as he turns up when he is meant to i dont see an issue
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

medlocke wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:40 am He's done himself no favours dragging it on this long, He will have alienated a percentage of fans, He could have put this to bed weeks ago
On the other hand he's kept people talking/speculating, which is not always a bad thing.

Over 22,000 views on Wigans Cherry and White RL fans page, over 8,000 on Red Vee and over 4,500 on the Virtual Terrace.

Very much like Gelling he is very "media savvy"
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

No straw damn us wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:03 am
On the other hand he's kept people talking/speculating, which is not always a bad thing.

Over 22,000 views on Wigans Cherry and White RL fans page, over 8,000 on Red Vee and over 4,500 on the Virtual Terrace.

Very much like Gelling he is very "media savvy"
Fair point, I just get the feeling he will have rubbed up an amount of fans the wrong way with it all, There was some nastyish comments being made, I wouldn't be surprised if a small group of fans boo him because of it
jao711

Post by jao711 »

Rubbish! Why do fans think they should know every detail of a players business.He has already shown himself to be a man of his word.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Personally I couldn't care less about the speculation! Wouldn't exactly consider The Sun reliable or many social media apps. I think the time to worry is when either Jackson himself or the club start to voice concerns.

I think he will be superb next season, for me the biggest concern is who is going to partner him at 6 week in week out?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Jackson Hastings: I'm licking my lips about playing at Wigan Warriors

Jackson Hastings says he is 'licking his lips' at the prospect of lining-up in Wigan's side next season.

The halfback - a marquee recruit for 2020 - is counting down the days until he starts training with his new club.

He shrugged off recent speculation he was getting cold feet about the move as he declared he's on a mission to win a trophy with the Warriors in 2020 - and he's convinced they have the side to do it.

"I was looking at the squad list yesterday and, as a halfback, you lick your lips," said Hastings.

"To get to play alongside Joe Burgess, Bevan French, Liam Marshall - all with raw speed - and classy players like Oliver Gildart and Zak Hardaker.

"You've got Liam Farrell hitting great lines, I'll be getting on the end of Sean O'Loughlin's long passes, George Burgess and Mitch Clark getting you on the front foot... and on and on.

"If you look at the squad on paper - and I know nothing is won on paper - but the balance between guys my age and younger who are hungry to taste success, and the other heads who have done it before, is great.

"I'm not over there yet but I can't wait to get in and find out what the club's about and see where I fit into the side."

Hastings will spend Christmas at home with his family before flying over to link-up with Adrian Lam's squad.

Yet despite being on a break - owing to his involvement in Great Britain's tour of New Zealand and Papua New Guinea - he has been making headlines on both sides of the world, with reports he was having second thoughts about his move and he was unhappy with the marquee contract he had signed.

It is not the first time the 23-year-old has had speculation over his move to Wigan - in the build-up to the Super League Grand Final he hosed down suggestions he wanted to make a U-turn and remain with Salford.

"I'm pretty used to it by now," he said. "I've had speculation about me since I was a teenager, it comes with the territory, someone is always going to say something or take something you say out of context and it gets changed as it gets passed on.

"People are free to write what they want but unless it's from the horse's mouth... I used to take it to heart and let it bother me but as you get a bit older, as long as you can look in the mirror and know the truth.

I've not looked into it too much but I've had mates talking to me and a few Wigan fans message me on social media - I've not given too many replies because I'm on holiday and wanting a break before I start on January 3. I'm just sorting flights out now."

Although he is still on holiday, Hastings has been training daily to ensure he hits the ground running next month.

And despite winning the Steve Prescott Man of Steel award and guiding Salford to an historic Grand Final appearance, he is hungry for more in 2020.

"I had a week off to reflect on the season, and I give myself half a tick in the box," said the ex-Manly and Sydney Roosters playmaker. "I'm pretty proud of the year but I didn't win a Grand Final. I played for Great Britain and didn't win a Test.

"So those things are motivating me to get better and improve on last season. And I'm not going to accomplish what I want to by sitting back and doing nothing."

Hastings, a family friend of Lam, signed a two-year deal with Wigan on a marquee contract, meaning only £150,000 of his lucrative contract counts on the cap, as a direct replacement for Canberra-bound George Williams.

He has a release clause allowing him to leave for an NRL club at the end of his first year if he informs the club before a specified, but unrevealed, date.

When the latest speculation surfaced, the Warriors issued a brief statement saying they expected him to arrive later this month, which was echoed late last week by Lam, who spoke of his excitement about working with him.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/jackso ... 1-10156600
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Just an idea when did his contract actually run out with Salford. Where we paying him last week or were they?

Might have been that simple. Think some wanted him not to come as they could bash IL a bit more.
Woody1989

Post by Woody1989 »

thegimble wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:40 pm Just an idea when did his contract actually run out with Salford. Where we paying him last week or were they?

Might have been that simple. Think some wanted him not to come as they could bash IL a bit more.
I was under the impression he was a Wigan player from the 1st of November but I could be mistaken