Jackson Hastings ends speculation about Wigan Warriors future

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
thegimble

Re: Jackson Hastings ends speculation about Wigan Warriors future

Post by thegimble »

Woody1989 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:40 pm
thegimble wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:40 pm Just an idea when did his contract actually run out with Salford. Where we paying him last week or were they?

Might have been that simple. Think some wanted him not to come as they could bash IL a bit more.
I was under the impression he was a Wigan player from the 1st of November but I could be mistaken
Thanks for that. Think your right
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

A few months ago when he signed and after the season was over he gave an interview stating quite clearly the Salford chapter of his career was over (there was already speculation he might regret leaving Salford) and also that he was very happy to play in SL as SL had basically resurrected his career. It was a very clear endorsement of his move to Wigan.

None of this current speculation was preceded by language like Edwards used from Hastings about no contract being signed or whatever.

I think its unreasonable to ask the player to comment on speculation off their own bat but of course the simple thing for the Sun to have done would have been to contact him instead of just speculating themselves. They would have either got the denial (no story for them then....) or "no comment" which would have fuelled the speculation. I think they knew all along there was nothing in the rumours so spun some "fake news" to generate a story without even trying to check.

It's not surprising Wigan fans are sensitive to such stories given the Edwards saga so that probably motivated the Sun to try it on as well. They would expect the fans to bite.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:00 pm A few months ago when he signed and after the season was over he gave an interview stating quite clearly the Salford chapter of his career was over (there was already speculation he might regret leaving Salford) and also that he was very happy to play in SL as SL had basically resurrected his career. It was a very clear endorsement of his move to Wigan.

None of this current speculation was preceded by language like Edwards used from Hastings about no contract being signed or whatever.

I think its unreasonable to ask the player to comment on speculation off their own bat but of course the simple thing for the Sun to have done would have been to contact him instead of just speculating themselves. They would have either got the denial (no story for them then....) or "no comment" which would have fuelled the speculation. I think they knew all along there was nothing in the rumours so spun some "fake news" to generate a story without even trying to check.

It's not surprising Wigan fans are sensitive to such stories given the Edwards saga so that probably motivated the Sun to try it on as well. They would expect the fans to bite.
Fake news is also known as the truth these days 😁
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

DaveO wrote:A few months ago when he signed and after the season was over he gave an interview stating quite clearly the Salford chapter of his career was over (there was already speculation he might regret leaving Salford) and also that he was very happy to play in SL as SL had basically resurrected his career. It was a very clear endorsement of his move to Wigan.

I imagine they did contact him, got a denial but didn't print it. It's a better story that way.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Mike wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:42 pm
DaveO wrote:A few months ago when he signed and after the season was over he gave an interview stating quite clearly the Salford chapter of his career was over (there was already speculation he might regret leaving Salford) and also that he was very happy to play in SL as SL had basically resurrected his career. It was a very clear endorsement of his move to Wigan.

I imagine they did contact him, got a denial but didn't print it. It's a better story that way.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Not if you are a Wigan fan 😡
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

Some of our fans are ridiculous with the rubbish they come out with. If I was him id think its not the best start to a relationship with fans of a new club when some are acting like morons and abusing him online. Let him enjoy his time off with family and come to pre season fresh and in good spirits instead of listening to an abomination of a news paper that spouts crap daily.
jobo

Post by jobo »

medlocke wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:40 am He's done himself no favours dragging it on this long, He will have alienated a percentage of fans, He could have put this to bed weeks ago
Think he'll alienate a % of fans no matter what he does. As for not responding to click bait journalism, maybe he has a bit more about him and didn't want to give them the satisfaction of a reply. As far as I'm concerned, he's gone up in my estimation.

Can hardly wait for the season to start.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jobo wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:34 pm
medlocke wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:40 am He's done himself no favours dragging it on this long, He will have alienated a percentage of fans, He could have put this to bed weeks ago
Think he'll alienate a % of fans no matter what he does. As for not responding to click bait journalism, maybe he has a bit more about him and didn't want to give them the satisfaction of a reply. As far as I'm concerned, he's gone up in my estimation.

Can hardly wait for the season to start.
I never thought there was anything in it based on that interview I mentioned before. Came across as very up front and straight talking.

With a lot of speculation you can often sense there may we be something behind it even if you hope there isn't but with this one I never got that impression.

The reaction on various Facebook groups was just OTT with the usual "tell him to sod off then" type comments based on nothing but a poor news article featuring no real news. Daft.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

It's great to slag a player off before he's even passed a ball!
Small minded beyond belief!!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
mickh

Post by mickh »

Who said they saw him in Plat Waz last week in Greggs ordering a pasty?