Third Marquee Player?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
fozzieskem

Re: Third Marquee Player?

Post by fozzieskem »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:02 am
fozzieskem wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:00 am For me marquee player should only be players from outside the club,ideally stars who will put bums on seats
Would you not pay someone like Edwards a marquee salary?
He would be the exception do you think Williams added to the Wigan brand,sold hundreds of extra shirts,season tickets etc?
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:05 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:00 am For me marquee player should only be players from outside the club,ideally stars who will put bums on seats
He would be the exception do you think Williams added to the Wigan brand,sold hundreds of extra shirts,season tickets etc?
No, but I Don't think that we should be ruling out players coming through our system becoming a marquee player. We need to dangle the carrot.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:40 pm

No, but I Don't think that we should be ruling out players coming through our system becoming a marquee player. We need to dangle the carrot.
Maybe you’re right and maybe and I’m singling Williams out here he was given marquee far too early,it has to attract people in who have either lost their love of the game or new to it,something that for me a home green player just doesn’t do.
jobo

Post by jobo »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:44 pm
Maybe you’re right and maybe and I’m singling Williams out here he was given marquee far too early,it has to attract people in who have either lost their love of the game or new to it,something that for me a home green player just doesn’t do.
Think Williams would have gone had Wigan not upped his contract substantially. He had offers from all over.

If he had gone, think Wigan fans would have gone bananas.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Yes a 3rd Marque player good idea we could offer Clubb a new 3 year contract :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

jobo wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:23 pm

Think Williams would have gone had Wigan not upped his contract substantially. He had offers from all over.

Maybe,maybe not his departure was hardly met with much handwringing was it?
jobo

Post by jobo »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:51 pm

That's true but if you recall how things were at the time of awarding him marquee, he deserved it.
bertina

Post by bertina »

jobo wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:25 pm

That's true but if you recall how things were at the time of awarding him marquee, he deserved it.
I DO recall, and I don't think he ever warranted marquee status.
Over-hyped, and went missing far too often during crunch matches.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

bertina wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:05 pm
jobo wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:25 pm

I DO recall, and I don't think he ever warranted marquee status.
Over-hyped, and went missing far too often during crunch matches.
I have to agree,Williams was a good player but one at the time he signed the deal had stood still,he,for me at least didn’t push on as I hoped he would do,worryingly inconsistent all his Wigan career and that was a shame.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Matty Smith :lol: