Canberra Eyeing Up More Wigan Talent

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Canberra Eyeing Up More Wigan Talent

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Caboosegg

Re: Canberra Eyeing Up More Wigan Talent

Post by Caboosegg »

I know we cant stop it but this more than anything is killing SL quality.

Partington and Smithies already on a shopping list.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

The Aussies don't give a shite about the game outside of the NRL, Arrogant tossers :D
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

medlocke wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:23 am The Aussies don't give a shite about the game outside of the NRL, Arrogant tossers :D
Very true....... they dont even give a shite about there national team....... its all state of origin with them
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

England has been such a happy hunting ground for Canberra that the club wants to develop its ‘generation next’ there.

The Raiders have partnered with Super League side Huddersfield Giants to take a couple of under-20s players every year to find the next Josh Hodgson or Elliott Whitehead.

Speaking from England yesterday, Raiders chief Don Furner said their strong English contingent would also help the rookies settle in.

Their success in finding elite players has led other NRL clubs to look north, increasing the competition for English talent.

It has led to the Raiders lowering their eyes to develop the next batch of Pommie stars.

Furner said the Raiders also talked to Wigan, from whom they signed Bateman, Sutton and Williams. But they opted to go with the Giants, where Raiders old boy Simon Woolford is the coach.

‘‘It’s getting a look at them at a younger age. There’s a lot of untapped talent up there,’’ Furner said. ‘‘It will help them too. They’ll go back having some different types of training and playing in a really tough competition, so both clubs will benefit from it. Maybe looking at the Elliott Whiteheads and Josh Hodgsons when they’re 18 and 19 rather than 24-25.’’
Very worrying signs that the juniors are about to be "raided" for whatever talent is there just so the NRL remains competitive and players are signed as cheaply as possible before becoming "stars" even in their own country

HAS to be two way or this is the beginning of the end for professional RL in England imo

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/hudde ... 3ae7.html
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Always gonna happen with the NRL being the best comp with a high salary cap.
It’s not gonna change as our salary cap isn’t gonna rise. Money talks!
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

It's difficult for us to compete with the NRL money but we can insist on players not leaving until the final year of their contract, picking up a fee that suits us and getting first refusal on their return. What really annoys me is when they go with two or three years left on their contract. Wigan players can't be allowed to go just when it suits them. I accept that the top players have all the power but, at some point, we need put our foot down as much as is practical and if that means the odd player being unhappy for a season, so be it.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

medlocke wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:23 am The Aussies don't give a shite about the game outside of the NRL, Arrogant tossers :D
They are, but if the situation were reversed, would we be any different? They have a popular and successful comp. The odd international game and WCC are just a few ribbons on the top as far as they are concerned.
pedro

Post by pedro »

cant blame them, the tour this year just showed us up again and they will think it again.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

A lot of it is because of there countrys weather and way of life...... most players would surely prefer life over there unfortunately
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE