Canberra Eyeing Up More Wigan Talent

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Canberra Eyeing Up More Wigan Talent

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

If it were my son or friend i would tell them to bite the hand off of an NRL offer. More money and when youre young living away and experiencing a different culture is great
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

What I don’t get is why does the supposedly best RL league needs junior players off the supposedly inferior SL? Don’t they have a production line of their own?

Do they also not have an overseas quota? What do the young players in Australia think about junior players from overseas coming into their teams?

If we were suggesting we’d import the number of players mentioned by the Raiders coach the RFL would soon have a rule banning it due to it stifling home grown talent.

The article mentions quite a few players including players from Saints and Cas as well as Wigan so hopefully the headline is a bit sensationalist and he was just commenting there was talent SL and not making public his shopping list.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

DaveO wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:11 pm What I don’t get is why does the supposedly best RL league needs junior players off the supposedly inferior SL? Don’t they have a production line of their own?

Do they also not have an overseas quota? What do the young players in Australia think about junior players from overseas coming into their teams?

If we were suggesting we’d import the number of players mentioned by the Raiders coach the RFL would soon have a rule banning it due to it stifling home grown talent.

The article mentions quite a few players including players from Saints and Cas as well as Wigan so hopefully the headline is a bit sensationalist and he was just commenting there was talent SL and not making public his shopping list.
Isn't it obvious?

Talent.

The NRL clubs look at a young player and see potential. With their training methods/level of intensity/and rewards, they believe that they can turn that talent into a world beater. No reason natural talent cannot turn up in Dewsbury as it can in Sydney.

In fact it's broader than that. The NRL clubs will gamble on "possible talent". Why not? they are not crippled with a pitiful Salary Cap, designed to safeguard clubs from overspending, but hijacked to ensure clubs like Castleford aren't left behind in the free market.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wintergreen wrote:
DaveO wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:11 pm What I don’t get is why does the supposedly best RL league needs junior players off the supposedly inferior SL? Don’t they have a production line of their own?

Isn't it obvious?

Talent.

The NRL clubs look at a young player and see potential. With their training methods/level of intensity/and rewards, they believe that they can turn that talent into a world beater. No reason natural talent cannot turn up in Dewsbury as it can in Sydney.

In fact it's broader than that. The NRL clubs will gamble on "possible talent". Why not? they are not crippled with a pitiful Salary Cap, designed to safeguard clubs from overspending, but hijacked to ensure clubs like Castleford aren't left behind in the free market.
I am sure they do see these players as talented but that doesn’t really answer the question I posed.

There are only so many players a club can practically have on its books regardless of how much money they have to spend.

We have had an overseas quota for as long as I can remember to stop clubs taking the easy option and importing ready made players. We have had club trained rules to encourage home grown development. Do the Aussies have none of this? I don’t know if they do or not but it seems very strange to me they need to go looking at junior players. The Sam Tomkins and James Graham level of player I can understand but juniors?
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

It's all about striving to be the best and if that means signing someone from Mars then why not? They don't settle for average we do!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

DaveO wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:18 am
Wintergreen wrote:

Isn't it obvious?

Talent.

I am sure they do see these players as talented but that doesn’t really answer the question I posed.

There are only so many players a club can practically have on its books regardless of how much money they have to spend.

We have had an overseas quota for as long as I can remember to stop clubs taking the easy option and importing ready made players. We have had club trained rules to encourage home grown development. Do the Aussies have none of this? I don’t know if they do or not but it seems very strange to me they need to go looking at junior players. The Sam Tomkins and James Graham level of player I can understand but juniors?

The obvious point that you have missed is that these things are not mutually exclusive.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wintergreen wrote:
Wintergreen wrote: Isn't it obvious?

Talent.

The obvious point that you have missed is that these things are not mutually exclusive.
I have no idea what you mean by that.

I do find it fanciful that they really need to go looking at overseas players at the level of Partington. He’s a good young player but if as you argued “With their training methods/level of intensity/and rewards, they believe that they can turn that talent into a world beater. “ why do they need or want to apply all that to him? Why don’t they do that with some junior prop down under?

The idea we in the U.K. have uncovered several young players who are better then any the Aussies have at a similar age so therefore NRL sides need to chase these UK players instead of growing their own simply does not seem realistic to me.

If their methods are that good they should already have better players of their own at every level.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

DaveO wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:22 pm
Wintergreen wrote:

I have no idea what you mean by that.

I do find it fanciful that they really need to go looking at overseas players at the level of Partington. He’s a good young player but if as you argued “With their training methods/level of intensity/and rewards, they believe that they can turn that talent into a world beater. “ why do they need or want to apply all that to him? Why don’t they do that with some junior prop down under?

The idea we in the U.K. have uncovered several young players who are better then any the Aussies have at a similar age so therefore NRL sides need to chase these UK players instead of growing their own simply does not seem realistic to me.

If their methods are that good they should already have better players of their own at every level.

It simply means that one does not exclude the other, or to put it another way, they can do both.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I find it ridiculous that the Aussies even have to look at young lads are they so bereft of young talent they have to come flocking over here with a bag of contracts and a sackful of action men as signing on fees?

This smacks of a story that’s been blown out of proportion I’ve no doubt there’s a list of players,that’s what a competent scouting system should do but it’s unlikely they’ll be gone by the summer.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

About three years ago I was sent a list of players that were "interesting" to one Australian club.

They came over at the Magic weekend to have a look!!

So this Canberra thing is nothing new, and in reality no different to Wigan signing the likes of Gelling or Hamlin.

WIGAN
- Dom Manfredi – Wing
- Jack Higginson – Centre / Wing (future)

ST HELENS
- Jonny Lomax – Fullback
- Joe Greenwood – 2nd Row
- Danny Richardson – Halfback (future)
- Levi Nzoungou – Prop (future)
- Matty Lees – Prop (future)

WARRINGTON
- Matty Russell – Fullback
- Tom Lineham – Wing
- Ben Currie – 2nd Row
- Darryl Clarke – Hooker
- Morgan Smith – Half (future)