Third Marquee Player?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
jobo

Re: Third Marquee Player?

Post by jobo »

bertina wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:05 pm
jobo wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:25 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:51 pm

Maybe,maybe not his departure was hardly met with much handwringing was it?
That's true but if you recall how things were at the time of awarding him marquee, he deserved it.
I DO recall, and I don't think he ever warranted marquee status.
Over-hyped, and went missing far too often during crunch matches.
It's all subjective. When he got the contract, he was the best half back prospect by far. Whether with hindsight he deserved it, is a different matter.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

WIlliams was always a bit of a one dimensional running half for me. In the first few years of his developement he managed to learn a couple of new things like the cut out pass and the short grubber to the in goal, but after that his bag of tricks seemed to stay the same. He became effective at the things he did do, but it always seemed like he was doing them in a predetermined way rather than weighing up the best option given what was in front of him. It seemed to be that we took lots of wrong options on his side. He was a good half back, bu I'm just not sure he was a natural, it was all very coached beyond his natural running ability.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Post by moto748 »

You have a point, Mike, but nevertheless I do think, when you talk about Williams not playing what was in front of him, all too often there were no players running good lines off him to give him some options. Organisation of fifth tackle last season what certainly not good, though.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Mike wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:11 pm WIlliams was always a bit of a one dimensional running half for me. In the first few years of his developement he managed to learn a couple of new things like the cut out pass and the short grubber to the in goal, but after that his bag of tricks seemed to stay the same. He became effective at the things he did do, but it always seemed like he was doing them in a predetermined way rather than weighing up the best option given what was in front of him. It seemed to be that we took lots of wrong options on his side. He was a good half back, bu I'm just not sure he was a natural, it was all very coached beyond his natural running ability.
Compare his statistics to others and you will see how good he was.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:03 pm
Mike wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:11 pm WIlliams was always a bit of a one dimensional running half for me. In the first few years of his developement he managed to learn a couple of new things like the cut out pass and the short grubber to the in goal, but after that his bag of tricks seemed to stay the same. He became effective at the things he did do, but it always seemed like he was doing them in a predetermined way rather than weighing up the best option given what was in front of him. It seemed to be that we took lots of wrong options on his side. He was a good half back, bu I'm just not sure he was a natural, it was all very coached beyond his natural running ability.
Stats don’t tell the story though,I’ve seen with my own eyes how good he can be,I don’t need stats for that and I’ve also seen him be very one dimensional sadly more often than not
shaunedwardsfanclub

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:30 pm
Stats don’t tell the story though,I’ve seen with my own eyes how good he can be,I don’t need stats for that and I’ve also seen him be very one dimensional sadly more often than not
What does one dimensional mean in rugby league?
shaunedwardsfanclub

If you don't consider statistics, how do you compare George's performances with other half backs in the league? The only way of doing that is to watch every minute of every game. Was he better or worse than Fages, Lomax, Austin, Hastings, Sneyd, Trueman etc. in 2019? How do you quantify your conclusion if you don't use stats? Has there been a more consistent half back over the last 4/5 years? If so, how do you prove it?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:30 pm

If you don't consider statistics, how do you compare George's performances with other half backs in the league? The only way of doing that is to watch every minute of every game. Was he better or worse than Fages, Lomax, Austin, Hastings, Sneyd, Trueman etc. in 2019? How do you quantify your conclusion if you don't use stats? Has there been a more consistent half back over the last 4/5 years? If so, how do you prove it?
I don’t have to prove anything to anyone though it’s just my opinion,all of those halves you mention played better,when it mattered to me at least when they played Wigan,that’s all.

Williams hit a wall,and I’ve said this a few time’s and never kicked on after Smith left,his aimlessnkicks into the corner became a staple and all too rarely his flashes of brilliance (and there was some) became all to fleeting,he should never have signed the marquee deal and taken a chance in the NRL of if Warrington where serious,which I doubt taken a chance there because he’s become stale at Wigan and needed to move on.

Stats tell a story but it’s a very one dimensional one,the Smithees stat with his tackling was impressive but how many of those where 3rd man in etc? I don’t know or care he played well that night and that’s all that matters to me not something meaningless fretting over how many tackles or metres they cover,but if that’s the way you enjoy the game that’s good too,no right or wrong way to enjoy a game so long as we all support the game by going to them and then having an opinion on afterwards
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

They'd be better off saying that players could earn money through advertising with no impact on cap.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

I agree they should be allowed to earn money from advertising